News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

JJ McCarthy (could he be the Giants target in round one)?

Started by MightyGiants, February 02, 2024, 10:08:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

What truly is amazing is how much this topic has changed over the course of a month or two.  When I started this thread, the overwhelming consensus was that taking JJ at six was too high, and the Giants should wait for round two.  Now, the consensus is that it's very unlikely that McCarthy will be there for the Giants at 6.

I don't ever recall such a drastic turn of events leading up to the draft.  I find the turn of events disappointing as I started this thread to examine a possible QB candidate that was available for the Giants to draft.  :(
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Phil and Matt Simms: Why is J.J. Mccarthy's NFL Draft Stock Rising?

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Rich - beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.  It simply is not what she looks like coming into the bar but what she is like after 4 hours of talking with her.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Philosophers on March 31, 2024, 09:50:21 AMRich - beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.  It simply is not what she looks like coming into the bar but what she is like after 4 hours of talking with her.
And never at closing time.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

One thing to keep in kind about JJ is that he came to Michigan in 2021 as a much heralded freshman.  Cade McNamara was the starter and not a very good one and Joe Milton was the backup Like many QBs such as Quinn Ewers, he could have transferred when he did not get the job and was not even the backup but he chose to stay.  Milton transferres to Tennessee later which helped but JJ did not know Milton would leave.  In today's portal era, I think that says something about the kid's character to stay, develop and compete.

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Here are what college coaches said about JJ (via Bruce Feldman)

The Coaching Intel

"I think too many people are getting caught up trying to look at box scores instead of watching film. He makes a lot of plays for them after the play breaks down. There's some 'wow' stuff in there. He's on a dead sprint, and he makes some perfect throws. When he has to get out and make a play, he can really do it."

"We thought he throws a little bit of a flat ball and you wouldn't see much of him layering it in there. But he's really dynamic. You wanted to keep him in the pocket but he'd still get out whenever they needed him to, and he's great throwing on the run. He could get out to his left or his right and get you, but especially going to his right."

"I thought he was great. You could tell he was the alpha male on that team from a leadership standpoint. He was coached up well on how to make throws and make the decisions very fast. He throws very well on the run. He did have a really good O-line and a good defense, but we didn't think their wide receivers were great, and he made it all go."
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 05, 2024, 08:54:06 AMHere are what college coaches said about JJ (via Bruce Feldman)

The Coaching Intel

"I think too many people are getting caught up trying to look at box scores instead of watching film. He makes a lot of plays for them after the play breaks down. There's some 'wow' stuff in there. He's on a dead sprint, and he makes some perfect throws. When he has to get out and make a play, he can really do it."

"We thought he throws a little bit of a flat ball and you wouldn't see much of him layering it in there. But he's really dynamic. You wanted to keep him in the pocket but he'd still get out whenever they needed him to, and he's great throwing on the run. He could get out to his left or his right and get you, but especially going to his right."

"I thought he was great. You could tell he was the alpha male on that team from a leadership standpoint. He was coached up well on how to make throws and make the decisions very fast. He throws very well on the run. He did have a really good O-line and a good defense, but we didn't think their wide receivers were great, and he made it all go."

His comment about JJ throwing a flat ball is 100% accurate.  That was a criticism I had in some of his deep balls — too flat so no margin of error on accuracy in that no way for WR to catch up to it and run under it.  It was worse in 2022 than 2023 so he seems to be adding more arc but he needs to continue working on it.

Philosophers

Gut says Giants want maybe 1 or 2 of the QBs and maybe 1 or 2 WRs.

Jclayton92

Quote from: Philosophers on April 07, 2024, 05:10:36 PMGut says Giants want maybe 1 or 2 of the QBs and maybe 1 or 2 WRs.
Lot of reports coming out that the Giants WOULD pull off a blockbuster trade to the patriots depending on who is there after the 1st 2 picks.   

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 07, 2024, 06:43:04 PMLot of reports coming out that the Giants WOULD pull off a blockbuster trade to the patriots depending on who is there after the 1st 2 picks.   

They've scouted Maye a ton.

Not sure why the Pats would trade down though. They're going to go into week one with Jacoby Brisett and Bailey Zappe?