News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Would you even tag Barkley in 2024 at this point?

Started by DaveBrown74, October 12, 2023, 02:08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

I mean the guy is constantly hurt and he's getting old (by RB standards). Do you believe the Giants should spend a fully guaranteed $12mm on him next year? If the answer is no, can it be assumed that you are in favor of trading him ASAP, since the season (in practical terms at least) is pretty much over?

Does anyone still want to see him get a contract or wish the Giants had acquiesced to his demands in the last season and had given him a multi-year contract?

T200

No

I predict this is his last year with us.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Gmo11

They should absolutely try and trade him this season.  If they can't get a trade done for whatever reason I might tag him with the intent to seek a trade in the offseason so he can't just leave for nothing.  My guess is that was why both sides agreed to not include a "no franchise tag" clause in his deal over the summer.  Letting him walk for nothing would be a worst case scenario type of situation.

True Blue

Absolutely not. I am of the belief they should have traded him at lasts year's deadline.

They will get less now, but admit your mistake, and salvage it the best you can by trading him this year.

I would not tag or give a new contract, if no one would trade anything he can walk next offseason.

babywhales

"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

babywhales

Quote from: True Blue on October 12, 2023, 02:23:53 PMAbsolutely not. I am of the belief they should have traded him at lasts year's deadline.

They will get less now, but admit your mistake, and salvage it the best you can by trading him this year.

I would not tag or give a new contract, if no one would trade anything he can walk next offseason.

Completely agree
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

DaveBrown74

I agree with all of you. Unless there are literally zero takers, I will consider it a failure by our front office if they don't trade him before the deadline. Even if it's just a fifth rounder, let's get something instead of nothing. Signing or even tagging him after this season would be preposterous.

PSUBeirut

Def not worth the tag.  However, it will be interesting to see how much the offense and Daniel Jones improve (or IF they improve) once a healthy Barkley gets inserted back into the offense.  If he comes back and makes the offense gel more like the 2nd half against Arizona, I'd say a reasonable deal might make sense. 

But the tag will be, what, 13-14 million?  Definitely not at that price. 

DaveBrown74

Quote from: PSUBeirut on October 12, 2023, 03:33:36 PMDef not worth the tag.  However, it will be interesting to see how much the offense and Daniel Jones improve (or IF they improve) once a healthy Barkley gets inserted back into the offense.  If he comes back and makes the offense gel more like the 2nd half against Arizona, I'd say a reasonable deal might make sense. 

But the tag will be, what, 13-14 million?  Definitely not at that price. 

If memory serves it will be about $12mm but I am not 100% positive.

LennG

And if a trade, what is his value at this point? a 3rd?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jclayton92

I think it depends on if the plan to sign a bunch of players in Free Agency. If they do they need to trade him, if they don't they can just get a comp pick for him.

HondurasGiants

IF we trade him...it should be during the offseason IMO.

Still too early to judge the 2023 season...the offense, etc.

Jaime

I would get Barkley healthy #:-S
Showcase him in a couple games (and pray he isn't injured) then quickly trade him to the highest bidder.

Philosophers

As oppose what?  Let him leave and get nothing back?  That would be a waste of an asset.

Stringer Bell

Quote from: LennG on October 12, 2023, 03:56:34 PMAnd if a trade, what is his value at this point? a 3rd?

No chance they get a third for him.