News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Carl Banks pounding the table for an O-line upgrade

Started by MightyGiants, November 17, 2023, 02:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZGiantFan

I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

AZGiantFan

Quote from: SlotCorner on November 17, 2023, 05:55:56 PMDoes anyone think we don't need an OL upgrade? I am not sure what Banks is advocating for here. An upgrade this year?

We've got our LT, which is the only OL position worthy of a top 5 pick and only if its a lock. So if he's saying go OL in addition to whatever you do in the first round, then...sure? It's glaringly obvious. It looks like they may have missed on McKenthan and Glowinski should hang it up, for starters.

It don't mean a thing if they don't vastly improve their olineman evaluation and get a coach in there that knows what they're doing.  They haven't had a decent O-line coach since Pat Flaherty.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

kingm56

Quote from: AZGiantFan on November 17, 2023, 08:31:50 PMIt don't mean a thing if they don't vastly improve their olineman evaluation and get a coach in there that knows what they're doing.  They haven't had a decent O-line coach since Pat Flaherty.

Pat Flaherty produced some of the worst olines in recent history; there was a reason he wasn't retained after 2015.  It's almost as if his coaching ability was tied to talent.  Once he lost McKenize, Snee and DD, he wasn't any better than the other coaches over the last 8 years.  Either the Giants need to draft better, or spend FA dollars on known OL talent.   I do think we're close tho, Rich.  Another above avg guard, and we're at least average.  Assuming JMS improves; he needs to get bigger.

nicky1000

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 17, 2023, 06:09:02 PMI listened to his podcast (it's a really good episode).   The list Carl is referring to is the historic list of first round QBs and how many bust.

Well to be fair, we have had busts on the O-line for years so maybe we do better drafting QB lol.