News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Does anyone REALLY believe that we’ve properly

Started by andrew_nyGiants, March 27, 2024, 12:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrew_nyGiants

Addressed the offensive line?

To me this feels like past off-seasons where we were all so thirsty for a functional OL that we got excited over middling signings.

I think most of those signings were depth, and that we still need Day 1 & day 2 OL.

#tradedown
#weneedmorepicks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

uconnjack8

I understand why you feel that way.  There has been so many attempts at fixing the OL over the last decade that its hard for me to think it will really get better until I actually see it.

I will say the two 1st day signings both had good grades for their pass blocking.  I think that there is even a theme of what they are targeting is a plus.  Further, both have successful starting experience.

Then there is the coaching change.  Hopefully the new coaches are the right guys for the role as well. 

ozzie

My answer is once again the Giants "addressed" it, but I don't think they fixed it. And that is why I would like to see our round 1 pick used on the O-line.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

T200

Hope springs eternal. At this time of the year, that's really all we have.

We can't say Schoen hasn't addressed it. We can't say Daboll hasn't addressed it from a coaching staff standpoint. It's up to the coaches to do their part in teaching and the players have to learn and execute.

I am definitely hopeful. The issue has not been ignored. Even though most of the new offensive linemen aren't flashy or top 10 signings, I care more about how they function as a unit. It's time for the rubber to meet the road.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Bob In PA

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on March 27, 2024, 12:33:43 PMAddressed the offensive line?

To me this feels like past off-seasons where we were all so thirsty for a functional OL that we got excited over middling signings.

I think most of those signings were depth, and that we still need Day 1 & day 2 OL.

#tradedown
#weneedmorepicks

andrew: No one knows, but I believe the two guards we just got in free-agency are better than the last time they signed free-agent guards.  I don't know for sure if the one guy will play guard or if he'll have to take over for Neal, because IMO Neal is still a wild card. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Ed Vette

The Giants won't be addressing the Oline on day one of the draft unless they trade down. The reason to trade down would be if there were higher value players that were not of need when they picked at 6. They technically don't have a pressing need but they could use an upgrade at QB and WR. The top two WR talent is better than all the QBs but they have a shorter shelf life than the QB position, so that has to be weighed.

So, what you're proposing with consistency and conviction is to draft for need or rather for Team Building. Some prescribe that approach. Some look to draft for BPA in a position of need (Insert Todge's picture here). The true purists propose drafting strictly the Best Player Available, period. (Accorsi, "You can't have too many pass rushers")

I believe Schoen is of the second group. So, Andrew, I'll ask you this... Do you believe that Alt is close enough to the talent of the top three-Four QBs and the top three WRs to drop down a few slots, pick Alt, and get another 2nd and 3rd? There is the value of getting two more picks, so if your answer is yes, then you're spot on. If no, then you give up on a potential Franchise QB or a Generational WR., but you make the overall team stronger. I wouldn't disagree. It may not be my choice, but I wouldn't disagree. 

To answer your question, no. They aren't finished yet. One more day 1-2 player. I wouldn't go past the second round.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

andrew_nyGiants

Ed, my answer to your question is YES.

From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

uconnjack8

Ed,

Great post.  My problem with drafting an OT that early (  I don't think its a bad idea) is that if they can get adequate OL play from the current group, then adding a true #1 WR gives a better bang for the buck IMO. 

The problem is we really cannot say that they will get adequate play.  Having outstanding bookend tackles is definitely a positive and would improve the team.  Just think having adequate line play with the benefit of a star WR today gives the team the bigger boost. 

One of my issues with my line of thinking is that I feel there are some WRs that will be around on day 2 that could turn into a true #1.  And WRs these days tend to be easier to find than OTs.  At the same time it's a really deep OT class.   :hmm:

MightyGiants

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on March 27, 2024, 12:33:43 PMAddressed the offensive line?

#tradedown
#weneedmorepicks

I am at a point where I will believe that the O-line is fixed when I SEE it is fixed.   As for throwing more draft resources, they already have 2 high first-rounders, a 2nd rounder, a 3 rounder, a 5th rounder, and a bunch of just-signed free agents.   I am not sure if throwing yet more resources will actually fix the problem.

That said, it wouldn't shock me to see one of the 6 picks being an offensive lineman (I would be surprised if it's in round one, but any other round).  Likely that would be a guard or a lineman with guard/tackle flexibility
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kartanoman

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 27, 2024, 02:38:55 PMI am at a point where I will believe that the O-line is fixed when I SEE it is fixed.   As for throwing more draft resources, they already have 2 high first-rounders, a 2nd rounder, a 3 rounder, a 5th rounder, and a bunch of just-signed free agents.   I am not sure if throwing yet more resources will actually fix the problem.

That said, it wouldn't shock me to see one of the 6 picks being an offensive lineman (I would be surprised if it's in round one, but any other round).  Likely that would be a guard or a lineman with guard/tackle flexibility

I like what Ed had to say above; however, I'm tempering my expectations along the lines of not quite the "prove it to me it's fixed" mantra. Instead, it really is going to depend on how Daboll's offense integrates Carmen Bricillo's coaching capabilities into the overall offensive philosophy and, the flip side of that, how Bricillo adapts his coaching skillset to make his players more effective, individually and collectively, as an integrated function of a seamless offensive attack. It's one thing to say you don't have the players, another to say the players don't have the necessary skillsets, and yet another to say you don't have a coach who can both get the players to function as a working subsystem and integrated into the higher order system that is the offense. Further, it is the really good coaches who can get the best out of their players yet protect their vulnerabilities in the heat of the battle.

Nobody is asking Bricillo to be a Miracle Worker; however, he has to be able to make a cohesive unit which is capable of doing the job they're supposed to do. He's been given professionals from other teams who have a solid reputation and one whom he coached in his previous assignment. He has individual talent he is inheriting which vary from an All Pro-level Left Tackle, a young Center with great potential and a golden opportunity to make a name for himself in a reclamation project of a #7 draft pick who has greatly disappointed, lacks confidence and is at the crossroads. If I'm Bricillo, or any Offensive Line coach who believes in his methods, this is a golden opportunity to make a name for himself in the NFL. If he can resurrect this offensive line, he'll be in high demand for the rest of his career; that is his incentive lying in front of him.

It's not just the picks, the FA acquisitions or whether or not adding this or that player deems the project "fixed." Bricillo has the job to "fix" it as does Daboll in understanding the personnel, what they have, what they can and cannot do with them and formulating a strategy and season plan to utilize them in a manner that will be part of every game plan in 2024, and likely beyond.

My chips are on Bricillo and Daboll, especially.

Peace! 

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

londonblue

Eluemunor ranked 36/81 tackles last year
Runyan 21/63 guards

They are both solid NFL starters at those positions (and Eluemunor is at G also) and ranked far higher than those they might replace. The eye test of watching their film agrees. Solid guys. Importantly both are genuinely excited to be here. They will give us 100%.

Neither are elite but good O lines need five competent guys playing as a cohesive unit. We have a legitimate star in Thomas (but his injury impacted season ranked 18/81). If JMS can play closer to his draft we have 4 solid guys.

Then we have Neal, Ezeudu, McKethan, Stinnie, Schlottman, Nelson and assorted other leftovers to find a functional starting G/RT depending on where  Eluemunor slots. We could certainly throw another day 3 pick into the mix and even a camp cut to boost depth if the 3 2022 draftees do not raise their game.

So, fixed? No. Significantly better? Probably.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

Philosophers

I think they think they addressed it in FA.  Focus is elsewhere.

madbadger

We've been burned so many times I won't say the offensive line is fixed until they prove it on the field. I feel much better about our coaching and our starting five now than I did back in August, but I still don't know if JMS is going to be a quality NFL center and what Neal really is and at what position. An offense line with three good starters and two bad ones is still a bad offensive line.

DaveBrown74

I don't know what more we could have done to this point in FA. I guess we could have not done the trade for Burns and spent more on free agents, but I think it's hard to say we haven't addressed the O line when we haven't even seen the draft yet. We have thrown more than $15mm AAV a year at it already, we got what appears to be a material upgrade at the O line coaching position, and if we grab a couple more O line picks I'd say not only have we addressed it, but we have significantly addressed it. Whether it all works out is another story.

According to some folks here though our line wasn't even that bad last year EXCEPT when Jones was playing. Apparently they played decently well for the other two QBs. So maybe it's not as big of a problem as we think and Jones was just unlucky that they played really badly for only him.

madbadger

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 27, 2024, 05:57:00 PMI don't know what more we could have done to this point in FA. I guess we could have not done the trade for Burns and spent more on free agents, but I think it's hard to say we haven't addressed the O line when we haven't even seen the draft yet. We have thrown more than $15mm AAV a year at it already, we got what appears to be a material upgrade at the O line coaching position, and if we grab a couple more O line picks I'd say not only have we addressed it, but we have significantly addressed it. Whether it all works out is another story.

According to some folks here though our line wasn't even that bad last year EXCEPT when Jones was playing. Apparently they played decently well for the other two QBs. So maybe it's not as big of a problem as we think and Jones was just unlucky that they played really badly for only him.

The Burns trade had the secondary effect of costing us a high second round draft pick that could have been used on a guard or swing tackle who would be expected to start. I'm fine with the move because we can't spend all our capital on one position, but I could see why some people weren't happy with the deal.