News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Not sold on the Red Sox just yet & a word about the `98 Champion Yankees

Started by retrojint, August 20, 2018, 08:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retrojint

Maybe the Red Sox will win 120 games and sweep their way to the World Series championship.   But, maybe not.  I am not convinced,  There are so many lousy teams in the AL, posting expansion-season winning percentages that you have to downward curve their W-L.  Until the recent massacre at Fenway, what separated Boston and New York was the Sox total domination of the "race-to-the-bottom" types , while the Yankees tended to struggle against the same,  Hey the Yanks W-L can also be questioned.   But let's see what happens when the Final Four is known. 

I think the Indians and Oakland are going to be very tough outs;  I haven't even mentioned the Champs & their first three, either. 

About 1998, it is easy to forget that Cleveland went home up 2-1 in that series.  El Duque and David Wells saved Four Rings` bacon.  What is interesting about that is Torre could not stand either.  The antipathy was mutual.  And that near choke presaged what was to happen in `04 against Boston. 

"When the going gets tough, I shall return.....much later."

retrojint

I wouldn't be shocked if they did.  I'm not saying that they are a fraud.  Far from it.  But the upper-tier teams that they will face will prove to be formidable.  As for Sales he usually flames out in September, anyway.
"When the going gets tough, I shall return.....much later."