News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Broncos had to dummy down the playbook for Drew Lock

Started by MightyGiants, March 28, 2024, 02:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

I heard this on the GiantsInsider podcast/youtube video I posted on another thread.  I heard that Lock's FBI was wanting (Lock had struggled to explain his college playbook).  So I did a bit of research and found this

https://www.si.com/nfl/broncos/news/denver-broncos-had-to-dummy-down-playbook-for-drew-lock-per-nfl-insider-rumor
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

UKGiantsFan

A big reason why you put people "on tge board" at '30' visits and ask them to explain both good and bad plays during interviews at the Combine. So much of QB'ing pre-snap is cerebral.  This is why we loved Eli

MightyGiants

Quote from: UKGiantsFan on March 28, 2024, 03:14:24 PMA big reason why you put people "on tge board" at '30' visits and ask them to explain both good and bad plays during interviews at the Combine. So much of QB'ing pre-snap is cerebral.  This is why we loved Eli

I suspect it's also why a QB whose film seemed worthy of a first-round selection lasted to round two.  Ceri, you are absolutely correct in why they put them on the board.   The problem is far too many coaches just think to themselves, "I just need to coach this kid up".
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 28, 2024, 03:19:15 PMI suspect it's also why a QB whose film seemed worthy of a first-round selection lasted to round two.  Ceri, you are absolutely correct in why they put them on the board.   The problem is far too many coaches just think to themselves, "I just need to coach this kid up".

Why Jeff George and Jay Cutler and Jake Plummer continued to be relevant.  Coaches always thinking they could get gold out of straw.

Bob In PA

Maybe Lock was a bad fit the offense Broncos wanted to run (or simply not a good "second" for the starting QB.

MY point is that it doesn't necessarily mean he is dumb.

IMO, it's much more likely he simply was in the "wrong place" at the wrong time.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

EDjohnst1981

2022 showed the Giants can slim down a playbook, lean on a skill position and make the playoffs.

Jclayton92

Well Daboll has practice, hes already dumbed down the playbook.

spiderblue43

Lock has gotten better with his command and recognition. Yes, he looked bad with the Broncs..lost. Probably a combination of a bad fit and his college experience leaving him unprepared.

We'll see if Daboll can mold him-he is a backup, after all.

uconnjack8

There is a pretty solid chance he will get a chance to prove himself on the field. 

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on March 28, 2024, 09:14:15 PMWell Daboll has practice, hes already dumbed down the playbook.

That's not exactly what he did.  He sped up plays because his offensive lines have been poor and then historically bad.   There is a difference between modifying plays to get the ball out quicker (or run) and simplifying them for the QB.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 29, 2024, 07:11:33 AMThat's not exactly what he did.  He sped up plays because his offensive lines have been poor and then historically bad.   There is a difference between modifying plays to get the ball out quicker (or run) and simplifying them for the QB.
Every call had 2 plays either a run or a pass, with little to no audibles, or line protection adjustments. That sounds slimmed down to me.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on March 29, 2024, 08:11:01 AMEvery call had 2 plays either a run or a pass, with little to no audibles, or line protection adjustments. That sounds slimmed down to me.

Where did you learn that from?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

babywhales

Well he should fit in well with the Giants QB room as they run the most remedial offense in the NFL.  

If true, looks like the they can leave the training wheels on the offense regardless of who is behind center. 

"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

MightyGiants

Quote from: babywhales on March 29, 2024, 08:52:04 AMWell he should fit in well with the Giants QB room as they run the most remedial offense in the NFL. 

If true, looks like the they can leave the training wheels on the offense regardless of who is behind center.

I listen to a ton of NFL experts (former GMs, coaches, and players) and I have yet to hear a single one of them suggest the Giants offense was simple or simplified
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

babywhales

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 29, 2024, 08:53:52 AMI listen to a ton of NFL experts (former GMs, coaches, and players) and I have yet to hear a single one of them suggest the Giants offense was simple or simplified

I have heard multiple say that jones was running the most basic offense and poorly at that.  One DC, in fact some even mocked him for his inability to run such a simple offense. This has been discussed here multiple times.

Just doing a quick search i found this instantly, ""It's very noticeable how little they make him play like an NFL quarterback," the coach said about Jones during a chat with NFL senior writer Mike Sando of The Athletic. "He has the easiest reads and the easiest concepts, and still he does not throw the ball accurately. He doesn't throw to the correct leverage, doesn't throw the receivers open, just doesn't do it. I'm giving you zero opinions. This is all the tape shows."

"They played simple offense last year, and the guy made simple plays, but here is the issue," the defensive coach said about Jones guiding the 2022 Giants to the postseason and to a road playoff victory. "This year, simple is not good enough. The boot pass will never be enough to get you back into the game. It's like last year they hid the secret somehow and maybe he showed flashes of improvement. It looks bad now."
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S