News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Round one non-Giants draft discussion thread

Started by MightyGiants, April 25, 2024, 07:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uconnjack8

Outside of the Penix pick I dont know if I see any really crazy selections.  There are some that were a little surprising to see in the 1st round, but even those picks I thought made sense and they were guys that I thought would go in round 2.

spiderblue43

The Falcons? Enough said. Did anyone catch that awkward war room..execs standing around..gm trying to explain to Blank what the heck was that Penix pick. Talk about blank stares!

Bizarre. And don't forget the Vikings are probably going to get compensated in next year's draft for Cousins tampering.

That was (should be) a fireable offense by Fontenot. Dumb and dumberer.

:banghead:  :poo:

katkavage

If I'm Penix's agent, I work very hard to get Atlanta to trade him. It might not happen until training camp, but he has no chance to play unless Cousins gets hurt. There is no way they sit a QB who is making that much no matter how good the rookie behind him is. The pick was an all time blunder.

Rosehill Jimmy

The only possible explanation would be if the Cousins rehab is not coming along as expected. Otherwise, a real head scratcher  ~X(
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

uconnjack8

Quote from: Rosehill Jimmy on April 26, 2024, 08:18:17 AMThe only possible explanation would be if the Cousins rehab is not coming along as expected. Otherwise, a real head scratcher  ~X(

I see your point, but then why the hell would you give that guy $100 million guaranteed? 

MightyGiants

Pat Leonard
@PLeonardNYDN
Atlanta Falcons recap:

- Likely to be docked draft picks & fined for tampering to sign Kirk Cousins

- Didn't seriously consider hiring Bill Belichick

- Signed Cousins to a $180 million contract

- Blindsided Cousins and his camp by drafting their next franchise QB at No. 8
8:28 AM · Apr 26, 2024
·
 Views
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

spiderblue43

Quote from: uconnjack8 on April 26, 2024, 08:24:06 AMI see your point, but then why the hell would you give that guy $100 million guaranteed? 

That's what Blank was probably saying too last night. Can't defend that move on any level. Mind boggling. Why bother to sign Cousins (and tamper)? Trade down..add picks and still get Penix mid-round. Or simply add a quality player.

uconnjack8

Quote from: spiderblue43 on April 26, 2024, 08:34:08 AMThat's what Blank was probably saying too last night. Can't defend that move on any level. Mind boggling. Why bother to sign Cousins (and tamper)? Trade down..add picks and still get Penix mid-round. Or simply add a quality player.

Its one of the most bizarre picks I can remember. They have made a lot of moves to improve their offense over the last several years.  They had every defensive player in the draft still available and chose a QB. 

kingm56

Quote from: uconnjack8 on April 26, 2024, 08:40:28 AMIts one of the most bizarre picks I can remember. They have made a lot of moves to improve their offense over the last several years.  They had every defensive player in the draft still available and chose a QB. 

I've been trying to reconcile this move too, Matt.  Here's the best I could do:

1.   They want an insurance policy for a 35 year old QB coming off an ACL injury
2.   If  Penix showcases some skills, his potential trade value could be worth more than the #8 pick; thus, representing a positive ROI.

TDToomer

When did the Falcons hire Gettleman?   =))
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Philosophers

I liked other OTs rather than JC Latham.  Harbaugh was brilliant to select Alt.  Titans should have looked elsewhere.  Not a fan of that pick.

Atlanta selecting Penix was ridiculous after securing Cousins.  Complete waste of a pick.

I think Dallas trading back did nothing for them.  Yeah they got Guyton, but they needed help at CB also and going back put them in a less advantageous position.

KC landing Xavier Worthy was brilliant.

uconnjack8

Quote from: kingm56 on April 26, 2024, 08:45:48 AMI've been trying to reconcile this move too, Matt.  Here's the best I could do:

1.   They want an insurance policy for a 35 year old QB coming off an ACL injury
2.   If  Penix showcases some skills, his potential trade value could be worth more than '' pick; thus, representing a positive ROI.

Matt,

The only thing I could think of to rationalize the pick is that Cousins is 36 and not a long-term solution and now they potentially have that solution when Cousins is gone.  Just seems odd to me for a team to be thinking about 2026 and beyond when they have not had a winning record or playoff appearance since 2017.

Signing a 36 year old QB to that kind of guaranteed money after an Achilles injury is questionable, but was understandable given their situation.  Taking their future QB the same year is nothing short of bizarre IMO. 

If they are worried about Cousins injury to start the season, signing a high end backup seems more reasonable than drafting another QB at #10.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kingm56

Quote from: uconnjack8 on April 26, 2024, 09:51:17 AMMatt,

The only thing I could think of to rationalize the pick is that Cousins is 36 and not a long-term solution and now they potentially have that solution when Cousins is gone.  Just seems odd to me for a team to be thinking about 2026 and beyond when they have not had a winning record or playoff appearance since 2017.

Signing a 36 year old QB to that kind of guaranteed money after an Achilles injury is questionable, but was understandable given their situation.  Taking their future QB the same year is nothing short of bizarre IMO. 

If they are worried about Cousins injury to start the season, signing a high end backup seems more reasonable than drafting another QB at #10.

I completely agree, Matt. 

MightyGiants

Bills bizarrely gift Xavier Worthy to Chiefs with 2024 NFL Draft trade
By Social Links forRyan Dunleavy
Published April 26, 2024, 1:04 a.m. ET
Setting up the Chiefs with Patrick Mahomes apparently wasn't enough for the masochistic Bills.

The NFL draft often creates strange bedfellows when it comes to trades, but few are as hard to explain as the Chiefs-Bills deal late in the first round Thursday night that gifted the fastest player in the class to Mahomes and speed-obsessed head coach Andy Reid.

Xavier Worthy, who recorded an NFL combine-record 4.21-second time in the 40-yard dash, was selected No. 28 by the Chiefs, who traded No. 32 and a third-rounder (No. 95) for No. 28 and a fourth-rounder (No. 133). The teams swapped seventh-rounders, too.

The Chiefs were in the market for a receiver even before last year's top rookie Rashee Rice was arrested, which possibly will lead to a suspension.

The Bills unknowingly handed the Chiefs their biggest nemesis during a 2017 draft trade that landed Mahomes in Kansas City.

Since then, Mahomes has eliminated the Super Bowl-minded Bills from the playoffs three times and become the obstacle preventing counterpart Josh Allen from reaching his full potential.

https://nypost.com/2024/04/26/sports/bills-gift-xavier-worthy-to-chiefs-with-2024-nfl-draft-trade/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE