News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Do you agree?

Started by MightyGiants, May 31, 2024, 02:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sxdxca38, Jclayton92 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

londonblue

Not if I am offered a choice.

Pressures were undervalued historically but that does not mean they are as or more valuable on a play. Sacks usually gain field position and loss of down and the possibility of a fumble (an important % of NFL fumbles are sack fumbles year on year). Pressures bring a chance of loss of down and a slightly elevated chance of an interception per the data metrics.

Sacks are clearly more impactful as an individual play but they are less frequent so perhaps in total over an average game (rather than as an individual play) pressures might make a bigger combined contribution. Maybe in that specific way he has a point.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

AZGiantFan

Seems absurd to me.  A QB under pressure can still complete a pass and even make a big play. 

I seem to remember a QB under extreme pressure completing one of the most meaningful big plays in SB history.  And then 4 years later while under serious pressure complete one of the biggest sideline passes in SB history.  How many big plays has a guy like Mahomes made while running for his life.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/highest-qb-rating-under-pressure-2023

But no QB has ever made a big play after being sacked.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Jolly Blue Giant

I disagree that it is "equally" important. When a QB gets sacked, it leaves a lasting impression on him, and he gets more skittish that if he's forced to rush his throw, not to mention, he can get hurt. Maybe not enough to leave a game, but it can have a negative effect on his game if he's playing sore
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

DaveBrown74

I disagree that sacks "aren't that big of a deal." Sacks destroy drives.

Pressures surely matter but QBs can still complete passes or at least get throwaways and not lose yardage under pressure.

Huge, huge difference.

Ed Vette

Sacks can result in turnovers and loss of yardage. Hits and Hurries certainly have their effect. I somewhat agree. Don't discount pressure.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

Sacks destroy the morale of an offense.  Gets players questioning each other.

MightyGiants

Mike Lombardi says pressure can cause INTs
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

madbadger

Quote from: londonblue on May 31, 2024, 03:39:59 PMNot if I am offered a choice.

Pressures were undervalued historically but that does not mean they are as or more valuable on a play. Sacks usually gain field position and loss of down and the possibility of a fumble (an important % of NFL fumbles are sack fumbles year on year). Pressures bring a chance of loss of down and a slightly elevated chance of an interception per the data metrics.

Sacks are clearly more impactful as an individual play but they are less frequent so perhaps in total over an average game (rather than as an individual play) pressures might make a bigger combined contribution. Maybe in that specific way he has a point.

Which would you prefer to have a game with zero sacks but ten pressures that completely wreck the play, or a game with two sack and four pressures? I know which one I prefer. Pressures also lead to interceptions which are awesome too.