News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Why do Cats hate some people?

Started by Ed Vette, April 19, 2024, 10:53:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

Quote from: AZGiantFan on April 23, 2024, 10:00:58 PMI had always been a dog person and indulged in stupid speciesist humor like, 'the more times you run over a cat the flatter it gets'.

But after we had been retired for about 5 years, one night at dinner I told my wife that I'd like to have one last pet before my time came.  A dog would just take too much energy with walking and needing someone to take them when we traveled, so putting aside our bias, we decided to get a cat.  We went down to PetCo where they had rescue cats and picked out an orange tabby and about 200 bucks worth of paraphernalia.

I named him Eli.  Interestingly, the people I knew who knew about cats said males made the best pets.  It became pretty evident, after an adjustment period in which he realized just what an improvement his life experienced, that he was 'my' cat, even though my wife was the one who fed him.

I called him a puppy cat because a lot of his behavior was very puppy like.  And he is insanely friendly when people come to my house, including complete strangers.  I have a handyman and a housekeep who come in and do for me and he follows them around and supervises them

His real value as a companion came when my wife passed away unexpectedly in February of 2023.  For a while it was strange as he would walk around as if he was looking for her.  But he got more cuddly with me and it's a rare night when he's not up on the bed sleeping with me.  He's been a real and continuing life-changer.

I am also very sorry to hear about the sudden passing of your wife. I know it is over a year now but I'm sure the pain never goes away.

As I said in another post, over the years the people who post here have shared so much of their personal lives that sort of makes us a small family. We share the good and the bad and we try and be there for each other in this sort of strange way

Glad you get some comfort from the cat.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

T200

Quote from: AZGiantFan on April 23, 2024, 10:00:58 PMHis real value as a companion came when my wife passed away unexpectedly in February of 2023.
:o  :o  :o

Rich, you're under no obligation to share personal information about your life with us. But man, something as significant as losing your wife can't be casually slipped into conversation!

So sorry to hear about your loss, man. That's heartbreaking 💔

Hope you're coping well 👍🏾
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

AZGiantFan

Quote from: T200 on April 23, 2024, 11:38:57 PM:o  :o  :o

Rich, you're under no obligation to share personal information about your life with us. But man, something as significant as losing your wife can't be casually slipped into conversation!

So sorry to hear about your loss, man. That's heartbreaking 💔

Hope you're coping well 👍🏾

I am, although there were some foggy months there.  My 2 daughters who live 5 and 15 minutes away from me took magnificent care of me.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

T200

Quote from: AZGiantFan on April 24, 2024, 12:44:21 AMI am, although there were some foggy months there.  My 2 daughters who live 5 and 15 minutes away from me took magnificent care of me.
Glad you're doing well and your two daughters (and cat!) are taking care of you.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance: