News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Everything COVID-19

Started by MightyGiants, July 11, 2020, 07:46:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

First one more try to get people to take this disease seriously and not just think of it as the flu.  The flu doesn't do this:

QuoteThe Lucky Pelican in Lakewood Ranch posted a terrifying message on Facebook revealing a cook had called late on Wednesday night to confirm he had tested positive for the Coronavirus, but that he felt good
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 11, 2020, 07:46:03 AM
First one more try to get people to take this disease seriously and not just think of it as the flu.  The flu doesn't do this:

Second, I am intimately familiar with the public health containment strategy that calls for identifying cases and isolating all those the positive case came in contact with (case investigation and contact tracing and isolation/quarantine)

Now there is another level that public health rarely discusses publicly.   I like to call it the "we are fuc**d so there is no point in trying" phase.   Essentially an outbreak becomes so bad that you consider it ubiquitous and as a result, you don't have the resources nor the return on investment to engage in case investigation and contact tracing.   You essential surrender that battlefield and focus on some general messages like stay home if you are sick and so on.  So understanding this concept, this part of the same article really spoke to me about how bad things have gotten in Florida:

Add in reports I have been hearing about Florida's ICU bed being filled (it's even worse than when the NYC area had it because this is not flu season), and you can see things are really really really bad down in Florida

https://toofab.com/2020/07/10/lucky-pelican-closes-florida-cook-dies-covid/

Too soon for a victory lap. 
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on July 11, 2020, 07:51:57 AM

There is an old saying, "if a dog bites you once, shame on the dog, if a dog bites you twice shame on you".   Bob, please stop petting the dog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S7k62oK-38

'I thought this was a hoax': Patient in their 30s dies after attending 'COVID party'

QuoteChief Medical Officer of Methodist Healthcare Dr. Jane Appleby said the idea of these parties is to see if the virus is real.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Bob,

Will you listen to doctor Fauci?

Quote"As a country, when you compare us to other countries, I don't think you can say we're doing great. I mean, we're just not," Fauci said in an interview with FiveThirtyEight. Although Fauci noted that some cities like New York City have seen improvement, several other states are seeing a dramatic spike in coronavirus cases.

Fauci attributed COVID surges in states to their decisions to reopen too quickly. On Thursday, California, Florida and Texas reported their largest single-day death tolls since the pandemic began.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fauci-coronavirus-united-states-not-doing-great-other-countries/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Ron in NJ

Maybe the answer was to not shut down a given city / area /state till there was a spike in that location. Then maybe people wouldn

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ron in NJ on July 11, 2020, 08:31:45 AM
Maybe the answer was to not shut down a given city / area /state till there was a spike in that location. Then maybe people wouldn
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on July 11, 2020, 08:10:35 AM

Bob,

There is a passage from the book "The Influential Mind"

Quotethe greater your cognitive capacity, the greater your ability to rationalize and interpret information at will, and to creatively twist data to fit your opinions. Ironically, then, people may use their intelligence not to draw more accurate conclusions but to find fault in data they are unhappy with.

Is it possible you are using your impressive cognitive capacity not to fairly and properly evaluate all information, but rather to unintentionally mislead yourself by dismissing information that doesn't match your opinions by labeling it a "victory lap"?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jim143

I cant speak to Sarasota county, but I am thankful that the restaurants in Nassau county have a conscience.  We have had a few voluntarily report that a worker was tested positive and then voluntarily close down for a week to deep clean and retest the rest of the staff.

Those that are open, have so much plastic around the workers that you feel like you are walking into a "clean room" and I can only think of one that is open (or was two weeks ago - we haven't been back yet, maybe today) for indoor seating with major spacing between tables.  Very few have outdoor seating and the rest are take out only.

Nassau and Duval counties have a lot of testing going on and there are probably 60% (or less) positive in results.  I know this because my wife works for the Director of Chronic Diseases for the Florida Department of Health in Duval and is the one who is processing ALL the test results that come in.  And trust me - they are coming in in droves.  She comes home brain fried each day.  She gets anywhere from 80 - 120 test result reports, each upwards of 100 pages.  About 20 pages or so are her "normal", what use to be day-to-day work: HIV, Hep, TB etc.  the rest are Covid test results and there are probably 60% (maybe a little less) that are positive.

What we see here, living in "ground zero" is not indicative of what is being reported.  In the department where I work, there are maybe 3 or 4 that have it (out of 218 employees) and not one of them are in the hospital.  The local news is reporting that there are 26% of the hospital beds open and available in the entire state.  Edit: 26% of ICU Beds available state wide
"I'm just a nobody looking to stand in GOD's shadow" and try to live up to what is right and moral, I'm not Left or Right or any position, I believe in in the power of the holy spirit and prayer. I am not an angel, however I try to be as true to the rules of GOD and his son."

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jim143 on July 11, 2020, 09:10:06 AM
I cant speak to Sarasota county, but I am thankful that the restaurants in Nassau county have a conscience.  We have had a few voluntarily report that a worker was tested positive and then voluntarily close down for a week to deep clean and retest the rest of the staff.

Those that are open, have so much plastic around the workers that you feel like you are walking into a "clean room" and I can only think of one that is open (or was two weeks ago - we haven't been back yet, maybe today) for indoor seating with major spacing between tables.  Very few have outdoor seating and the rest are take out only.

Nassau and Duval counties have a lot of testing going on and there are probably 60% (or less) positive in results.  I know this because my wife works for the Director of Chronic Diseases for the Florida Department of Health in Duval and is the one who is processing ALL the test results that come in.  And trust me - they are coming in in droves.  She comes home brain fried each day.  She gets anywhere from 80 - 120 test result reports, each upwards of 100 pages.  About 20 pages or so are her "normal", what use to be day-to-day work: HIV, Hep, TB etc.  the rest are Covid test results and there are probably 60% (maybe a little less) that are positive.

What we see here, living in "ground zero" is not indicative of what is being reported.  In the department where I work, there are maybe 3 or 4 that have it (out of 218 employees) and not one of them are in the hospital.  The local news is reporting that there are 26% of the hospital beds open and available in the entire state.  Edit: 26% of ICU Beds available state wide

Jim,

On the testing, are they testing all comers or only those with symptoms?  Also, I remember you were in law enforcement.  Do you still have that kind of information?  I am curious if the hospitals have had to supplement morgue space with refrigerated trailers as they did in NY and NJ.  I know that treatments have improved since my area got hammered, but I am seeing that you guys are seeing a spike in deaths.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 11, 2020, 08:59:23 AM
In what way?

Nothing with a NOVEL virus is a "no-brainer," by definition.  Further, remember... my remarks here (of which there will be no more) apply ALSO to governors who sent covid patients to nursing homes.  Bob

katkavage

Quote from: Jim143 on July 11, 2020, 09:10:06 AM

The reporting overall of the pandemic has been abysmal on both sides. CNN is non-stop hysteria, while Fox concentrates on what's going on in a city block in Portland or Seattle and ignores the virus altogether. There is no balance. Of course if we had leadership things would be different, but we don't. We have an ignorant president who spreads his ignorance to others as contagious as Covid.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on July 11, 2020, 09:14:44 AM
Nothing with a NOVEL virus is a "no-brainer," by definition.  Further, remember... my remarks here (of which there will be no more) apply ALSO to governors who sent covid patients to nursing homes.  Bob

Bob,

It is my firm belief that copying what has proven to work is always a "no brainer".   That applies to pretty much any situation including dealing with novel viruses
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE