News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Everything COVID-19

Started by MightyGiants, July 11, 2020, 07:46:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: katkavage on July 11, 2020, 09:17:33 AM
The reporting overall of the pandemic has been abysmal on both sides. CNN is non-stop hysteria, while Fox concentrates on what's going on in a city block in Portland or Seattle and ignores the virus altogether. There is no balance. Of course if we had leadership things would be different, but we don't. We have an ignorant president who spreads his ignorance to others as contagious as Covid.

Sometimes I forget that there are people who let the news networks decide what they will learn about in terms of what is going on.  I mean I listen to news radio getting ready every morning and read a morning paper (while I eat breakfast) for general situational awareness but beyond that, I use online news aggregators to see what is going on and what information is available.   The thought of sitting down and listening to CNN, MSNBC, or FOX "News" is a foreign concept to me because it seems like such an inefficient and poor way to learn what is going on.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jim143

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 11, 2020, 09:14:04 AM
Jim,

On the testing, are they testing all comers or only those with symptoms?  Also, I remember you were in law enforcement.  Do you still have that kind of information?  I am curious if the hospitals have had to supplement morgue space with refrigerated trailers as they did in NY and NJ.  I know that treatments have improved since my area got hammered, but I am seeing that you guys are seeing a spike in deaths.

They are testing everyone and anyone who shows up.  They have even opened up three new testing areas in Eastern Jacksonville area.  They now have a total of 6 or 7 testing areas Jacksonville wide.  A coworker sat in line two Sunday's ago for 5 hours just to get tested.

No, I am out of law enforcement and I have not heard anything about needing extra space like NY. . .and trust me, the way the local media hypes and overkill's every single story they think is necessary to overkill, we would have heard something if they were doing it.
"I'm just a nobody looking to stand in GOD's shadow" and try to live up to what is right and moral, I'm not Left or Right or any position, I believe in in the power of the holy spirit and prayer. I am not an angel, however I try to be as true to the rules of GOD and his son."

Jim143

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 11, 2020, 09:23:04 AM
Sometimes I forget that there are people who let the news networks decide what they will learn about in terms of what is going on.  I mean I listen to news radio getting ready every morning and read a morning paper (while I eat breakfast) for general situational awareness but beyond that, I use online news aggregators to see what is going on and what information is available.   The thought of sitting down and listening to CNN, MSNBC, or FOX "News" is a foreign concept to me because it seems like such an inefficient and poor way to learn what is going on.

I can not tell you when I last watched ANY of these channels. . . I only watch local news, turning it off for world news or nightly news or what ever it's called.  After an hour of local news, I ask myself "WHY" because, depending on the time of the year, it's a total waste of time.  For instance, in the summer and fall - a 30 minute segment might have 10 minutes of weather and 20 minutes of jaguars.  Maybe a minute or two of a shooting.

Lately it is have gloom and doom covid wall to wall, with the exception of maybe 5 minutes of weather now that we are in hurricane season.
"I'm just a nobody looking to stand in GOD's shadow" and try to live up to what is right and moral, I'm not Left or Right or any position, I believe in in the power of the holy spirit and prayer. I am not an angel, however I try to be as true to the rules of GOD and his son."

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jim143 on July 11, 2020, 10:19:44 AM
They are testing everyone and anyone who shows up.  They have even opened up three new testing areas in Eastern Jacksonville area.  They now have a total of 6 or 7 testing areas Jacksonville wide.  A coworker sat in line two Sunday's ago for 5 hours just to get tested.

No, I am out of law enforcement and I have not heard anything about needing extra space like NY. . .and trust me, the way the local media hypes and overkill's every single story they think is necessary to overkill, we would have heard something if they were doing it.

That 60% is surprisingly high in that context.   During our worst in the region we were seeing 50% with only symptomatic.  When we got to all comers we were 40%. These days we are seeing 2-3% positive rate   
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

Since we are talking Florida, I would like other opinions on the opening of Disneyworld?

Personally I think this is one of the worst ideas since this virus started. OK< they are trying to do it sensibly, but in reality, that is impossible. PLUS, according to ticket sales, they are already sold out thru July. So all those visitors will go there, possibly contact someone with the virus and then take it back to wherever they came from?

Maybe I'm old and naive, but how in God's name can you open up Disneyworld in the middle of a pandemic, especially in a state where the numbers are going off the charts?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jim143 on July 11, 2020, 10:23:52 AM
I can not tell you when I last watched ANY of these channels. . . I only watch local news, turning it off for world news or nightly news or what ever it's called.  After an hour of local news, I ask myself "WHY" because, depending on the time of the year, it's a total waste of time.  For instance, in the summer and fall - a 30 minute segment might have 10 minutes of weather and 20 minutes of jaguars.  Maybe a minute or two of a shooting.

Lately it is have gloom and doom covid wall to wall, with the exception of maybe 5 minutes of weather now that we are in hurricane season.

JIM FIRST A CORRECTION ON MY PREVIOUS POST-   when we started testing supplies were short so we did only symptomatic patients.   Most of us got just under 50% positive with that rule in place.   It was like a month and a half before demand for testing and supplies were such that we could open it up to all comers.  By then we were starting to see positive test rates of 10% and those testing for anti-bodies were seeing like 40% positive rate (meaning they previously were infected).   Now, like I said we are seeing between 2% and 3% positive rate.  (sorry I posted my first information while walking and between my phone and less than ideal memory my numbers were off)

I also remember when we were being hammered all the news would talk about was Covid.   I don't think that was by design but I think it was simply the news stations seeing it as the biggest story and one that was easy to report on (they knew where to go to get the story) since with Covid being so active, the reporters weren't in a position to really go hunting for stories.

Quote from: LennG on July 11, 2020, 12:58:38 PM
Since we are talking Florida, I would like other opinions on the opening of Disneyworld?

Personally I think this is one of the worst ideas since this virus started. OK< they are trying to do it sensibly, but in reality, that is impossible. PLUS, according to ticket sales, they are already sold out thru July. So all those visitors will go there, possibly contact someone with the virus and then take it back to wherever they came from?

Maybe I'm old and naive, but how in God's name can you open up Disneyworld in the middle of a pandemic, especially in a state where the numbers are going off the charts?

Len,

If they weren't in Florida I wouldn't have a problem with them opening.   However, opening in Florida not only makes things worse for their state, but people from all over the nation (let me tell you I know Disney fanatics) will also travel to the terrible hotbed of Covid and will bring the disease back to their home states
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jim143

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jim143

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 11, 2020, 02:10:43 PM

Jim,

We both had to issue corrections, does that mean we are getting old?   =))

Considering yesterday was my birthday, I

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Gman329

15,350 new cases in Fla today, a new one day record for the state - by almost 50%!  Schools are scheduled to open in about 4 weeks.  What could possibly go wrong?

Jim143

And the governor wants schools open 5 days a week.  We had a great plan where schools would be split shifts and if parents wanted 50% or more virtual learning, it would be available.  Now, with the governor's statement, that threw a wrench into everything.

I saw some southern counties basically say screw that, we're doing what's best for our students and staff. . . .I wonder if other counties will follow suit.

MightyGiants

Please tell me that the FL governor has at least mandated the use of masks and rolled back dangerous indoor activities like eating out, movies, gyms, and bars

Stay safe my friends
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jim143

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 12, 2020, 04:14:37 PM
Please tell me that the FL governor has at least mandated the use of masks and rolled back dangerous indoor activities like eating out, movies, gyms, and bars

Stay safe my friends

Not that I am aware of.  I do know the local mayor of Jacksonville, City of Fernandina and County of Nassau have all mandated masks indoors and when you can not be at least 6 feet apart until 30 July.

I do not believe Bars, Gyms and Theaters are closed, but many of the dining establishments are still going - and have stayed - carry out or delivery only.  There is only one, that I am aware of, that has indoor dining and they have many tables with chairs on them for distancing.

MightyGiants

I thought this was well done and explains a lot (hopefully)

How can a disease with 1% mortality shut down the United States?

Franklin Veaux
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE