News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

My favorite pop music trivia question

Started by Bob In PA, December 18, 2020, 11:39:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob In PA

Name a song which was a hit recording twice, each time recorded by the same artist, in which one version was an up-tempo pop dance tune.... while the other was a classic hug-your-honey "slow song."   Same song!!!

The two version were recorded between 1960 and 1975 (which might help... only an old fogey like me will probably be able to come up with a guess, let alone the correct answer.

IMO this is not an easy question at all, and I believe there is only one correct answer.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Sem

I have a guess, although I admit to scanning a list of the top hits from the year I graduated HS, 1975. I didn't look any further back (1960), so I'm not sure if I have the correct answer. I'll keep it to myself for now in case others want to take a stab at it.

LennG

As soon as I read your description, I immediately thought of the Twist, by Chubby Checker. When you said there were two different  versions of it, I figured it can't be that.

There have been many songs by the same artists that became hots a second time, but the only one I can think of that might match your description is

'Breaking Up Is HardTo Do' by Neil Sedaka
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Sem

Well, I can see my guess is wrong now that I read Len's post and reread Bob's. First time around I didn't catch that it was the same artist in both '60 and '75. My guess was Please Mr. Postman by The Carpenters in 1975. I know it was an older song and was on The Beatles Second Album in '62 or '62 but also that they included covers on their earlier albums. So I wouldn't be surprised if that song was written a few years before the Beatles recorded it.

Since it's not that song I' at a loss, but would guess it might be someone like Neil Sedaka, Frankie Valli, or Paul Anka. All I believe had hits in the mid 70's as well as in the early 60's.

Bob In PA

Quote from: LennG on December 19, 2020, 12:01:59 PM
As soon as I read your description, I immediately thought of the Twist, by Chubby Checker. When you said there were two different  versions of it, I figured it can't be that.

There have been many songs by the same artists that became hots a second time, but the only one I can think of that might match your description is

'Breaking Up Is HardTo Do' by Neil Sedaka

Lenn: Well, son of a.....  you got it.  Congrats.  Incidentally, my friend came up with The Shirelles "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow" also recorded by the Carole King, who wrote the song.  Technically, that's a wrong answer since I was specifically referring to the SAME artist recording it twice, each time it was a hit, and yes Neil Sedaka wrote and recorded (twice) his great song two different ways (in 1962 and 1975) and both went on to be hit pop records.  Bob

Bob In PA

Quote from: Sem on December 19, 2020, 01:42:59 PM
Well, I can see my guess is wrong now that I read Len's post and reread Bob's. First time around I didn't catch that it was the same artist in both '60 and '75. My guess was Please Mr. Postman by The Carpenters in 1975. I know it was an older song and was on The Beatles Second Album in '62 or '62 but also that they included covers on their earlier albums. So I wouldn't be surprised if that song was written a few years before the Beatles recorded it.

Since it's not that song I' at a loss, but would guess it might be someone like Neil Sedaka, Frankie Valli, or Paul Anka. All I believe had hits in the mid 70's as well as in the early 60's.

Steve: I think Mr. Postman qualifies in the same manner as Lenn's guess, but as you note both were not recorded by the same artist.  I'm sure others have done it (possibly Sinatra or Dean Martin) so I hope other people who see this will post their comments as well.  Thanks.  Bob

LennG

Quote from: Bob In PA on December 19, 2020, 03:21:49 PM
Lenn: Well, son of a.....  you got it.  Congrats.  Incidentally, my friend came up with The Shirelles "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow" also recorded by the Carole King, who wrote the song.  Technically, that's a wrong answer since I was specifically referring to the SAME artist recording it twice, each time it was a hit, and yes Neil Sedaka wrote and recorded (twice) his great song two different ways (in 1962 and 1975) and both went on to be hit pop records.  Bob

Bob

I have ONE genre of music that I like--what I refer to as 'oldies' and Doo-Wop style, you know 50's and 60's. As not with many here, I never got into hard rock or anything like that, so I stick with what I like and know. Your question sort of fit right into that and Neil Sedaka is one of my favorites from that time frame.

Funny, for many, many years, we always went up to the Dutchess County Fair in Rhinebeck NY. Every year they had a free concert series and we always tried to see someone we know. Mostly country singers who I also like very much, but one year they had Neil Sedaka there and he did sing BOTH versions of that song. So even me, with a memory that fades as soon as I walk away, did remember that.   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss