News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Quick question re: Kadarius Toney

Started by Bob In PA, July 22, 2021, 12:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingm56

Quote from: Slugs Narrows on July 23, 2021, 01:41:45 PM
King

My deepest condolences for your loss.  It is why I do believe for those at the highest risk this vaccine that was developed in amazing time should be taken for those that want it.  I think it

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: kingm56 on July 23, 2021, 01:52:07 PM
This vaccine has received more studies and resources (e.g. funding and lab allocation) than any before it, which is why scientist were able to drastically reduce the timeline.  Moreover, humans have been manufacturing vaccines since 1721; we have 300 years of experience battling mother-natures great equilibrium.

"The world was able to develop COVID-19 vaccines so quickly because of years of previous research on related viruses and faster ways to manufacture vaccines, enormous funding that allowed firms to run multiple trials in parallel, and regulators moving more quickly than normal" - Harvard Medical School in Boston, Massachusetts 

To perpetuate the myth this vaccine (and others) is dangerous is ignorant and counter-productive.  Again, we have 300 years of history of manufacturing and safely administrating vaccines.  It's also telling that education level is the single biggest factor in those choosing to get unvaccinated.  To date,  79% of U.S. adults with at least a bachelor

MightyGiants

Quote from: kingm56 on July 23, 2021, 01:52:07 PM
This vaccine has received more studies and resources (e.g. funding and lab allocation) than any before it, which is why scientist were able to drastically reduce the timeline.  Moreover, humans have been manufacturing vaccines since 1721; we have 300 years of experience battling mother-natures great equilibrium.

"The world was able to develop COVID-19 vaccines so quickly because of years of previous research on related viruses and faster ways to manufacture vaccines, enormous funding that allowed firms to run multiple trials in parallel, and regulators moving more quickly than normal" - Harvard Medical School in Boston, Massachusetts 

To perpetuate the myth this vaccine (and others) is dangerous and counter-productive.  Again, we have 300 years of history of manufacturing and safely administrating vaccines.  It's also concerning that education level is the single biggest factor in those choosing to get unvaccinated.  To date,  79% of U.S. adults with at least a bachelor
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Slugsy-Narrows

Here is an honest question I know most here won

tomeee

Philosophers

PSUBeirut

jimmyz

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 23, 2021, 10:44:02 AM
Yeah although I don't think anyone is saying that non-vaxing should be illegal. So it's not quite the same thing.

And in abortion there are two bodies so its not quite the same thing.  Cuts both ways still. 
"The best way to get anything done is...ugh...if you hold near and dear to you ugh...then you like to be able to ugh..."

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: PSUBeirut on July 23, 2021, 02:23:14 PM
Sorry, but this post by itself shows why we're in such a horrible mess.   Politics and partisanship should never have been a factor in this.   We should have pulled together as a country similar to how we came together after 9/11.   Donald Trump being elected (and not being a follower of facts nor a fan of science) and the hyper-partisanship that followed was EXACTLY the WORST environment for this pandemic to hit the US.   Especially during a friggin' election year.  Just an awful combination of events that has now cost over 600,000 US Lives.   Six.  Hundred.   Thousand. 

And the answer to your question is oh so simple- just follow the science.  Listen to the medical community, then follow their guidance and get your friends and family to do it also.  The politicians in office matter almost nil except to make things worse.
PSU

I agree partisanship should not have ANYTHING to do with this but it

jimmyz

Quote from: Painter on July 23, 2021, 12:01:11 PM
Once again, the original topic betrays us. It is indeed a reflection of what is so seriously wrong with our country which is that our notion of freedom has become pernicious. Much of it is a consequence of the politics of low self-esteem.

Certainly, there is no worse affliction for anyone to have to bear than low self-esteem. While it is obvious that racism, xenophobia, misogyny, and religious bigotry are rampant, they are all a reflection of the insecurities, and delusions of a nation which has for so long has shouted, "We're Number One", not hypocritically, but rather as a defense against the truth, and the disgrace we all share.

You can also throw in the self esteem of those who choose to ramp up how rampant racism, xenophobia, misogyny and religious bigotry as an easy way of dismissing their own level of involvement in their own failures.

That's not to say racism, xenophobia, misogyny and religious bigotry don't exist and they most certainly do have an impact on the most susceptible but most reasonably strong and confident people are capable of fending off the versions of these things we have here in America.  Unlike other countries, when you're gay, you don't get pitched blindfolded off of rooftops.  Unlike some other countries, women are not being denied education.  Is that the measure we need to compare ourselves to?  Of course not but should we then aspire to be like...what....Sweden?  An ethnically homogenous country if there ever was one?

We may not be '#1', but then again who is?
"The best way to get anything done is...ugh...if you hold near and dear to you ugh...then you like to be able to ugh..."

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 23, 2021, 03:33:22 PM
This is an interesting, but utterly false narrative, that I see it being propagated recently.   While people didn't trust Donald Trump (with many good reasons most of his own doing), most of those same people trusted Doctor Fauci, because he was qualified, honest with the American people, and you could see that his motives were pure (a true man of science and medicine).   So there were no doubts in terms of the vaccine being safe with a majority of people who don't trust Donald Trump when the good doctor gave his blessing.  There were other trustworthy entities endorsing the vaccine as well plus there were countries that started vaccinating before the US.

It's sort of sad that Paul thinks most people lie (in answering his question) and that most people would only get vaccinated based on the President in the White House.  For me, this isn't a hypothetical question.   I got my first shot well before Trump left office.   Never was any doubt.   I follow the science, not the political BS.   I have said over and over again (yet it seems no one will listen) that politics has no business in science, medicine, and public health.   Politics = poison in those realms
Yet Cuomo Pelosi Shurmur Kamal and others were all down playing the vaccine and not trusting it prior to the election. Google it.  YouTube it.  It

kingm56

Quote from: Slugs Narrows on July 23, 2021, 03:44:08 PM
Yet Cuomo Pelosi Shurmur Kamal and others were all down playing the vaccine and not trusting it prior to the election. Google it.  YouTube it.  It

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: kingm56 on July 23, 2021, 04:41:22 PM
Why do you care what our politicians think/say as it relates to medical science?  However, to answer your question, I don't believe they were down playing its effectiveness; instead, they were criticizing (playing politics) the management of producing and distributing it.  In short, they were trying to convince the American populace they were the party that could do it better and faster; any sensible American knows that's complete crap as Operation WARP SPEED was the catalyst for delivering the vaccine in record time.  Regardless, I stopped watching the main stream news years ago as their business model evolves around discontent.
King

I don

Painter