News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Would like VPN info

Started by Bill Brown, December 20, 2022, 02:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Brown

I have a question about a VPN. I don't know anything about them but it looks like you can tell devices that you are located somewhere other than where you really are. So. If I live in maine and my local fox station will show Chiefs v Seattle will a VPN allow me to tell my service provider I am located somewhere in ny where the local fox will show the Giants.

Thanks for any help

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

DaveBrown74

If you're going to move forward, I recommend these guys. I used them during the 8 years I lived in London. Consistently excellent results. They are well explained on this site.

https://www.expressvpn.com/

Bill Brown

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 20, 2022, 02:14:19 PMIf you're going to move forward, I recommend these guys. I used them during the 8 years I lived in London. Consistently excellent results. They are well explained on this site.

https://www.expressvpn.com/

Thanks Dave. That is the name I keep seeing as the best. Appreciate you giving it your endorsement. My wife also wants to watch a show that is only broadcast in Canada and supposedly I could watch it with a VPN.

Bill

DaveBrown74

Quote from: ps11yat14 on December 20, 2022, 02:20:19 PMThanks Dave. That is the name I keep seeing as the best. Appreciate you giving it your endorsement. My wife also wants to watch a show that is only broadcast in Canada and supposedly I could watch it with a VPN.

Bill

My pleasure. It's very user-friendly and has just never given my any sort of problem. I can confidently recommend this one based on eight years of experience and it operating smoothly and reliably the whole time.

LennG

Since I am IT challenged, and I looked at the link, just curious if someone could explain it in language I could understand, how does this VPN help you watch a football game? Do you have to watch it on your phone, computer, etc?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

Quote from: LennG on December 20, 2022, 02:42:53 PMSince I am IT challenged, and I looked at the link, just curious if someone could explain it in language I could understand, how does this VPN help you watch a football game? Do you have to watch it on your phone, computer, etc?

Basically it allows you to access things in other countries that you wouldn't otherwise be able to access. It doesn't give you things for free that you are supposed to pay for. An example would be if you have Netflix, and you put the VPN on for the UK, you will get UK Netflix if you log into Netflix. It would definitely help you watch a football game if you were in a country besides the US, but if you're in the US it's not going to help you get any football game you can't get anyway (unless there's some trick I don't know about).

Bill Brown

I just want to tell hulu I live in NY and let me see a ny fox Station that is showing the Giants. I'm not trying to get something free.

Bill

DaveBrown74

Quote from: ps11yat14 on December 20, 2022, 03:59:18 PMI just want to tell hulu I live in NY and let me see a ny fox Station that is showing the Giants. I'm not trying to get something free.

Bill

Gotcha. I have never used it to tell it I'm in a different state than I'm in. I only know how to use it for countries.
Quote from: ps11yat14 on December 20, 2022, 03:59:18 PMI just want to tell hulu I live in NY and let me see a ny fox Station that is showing the Giants. I'm not trying to get something free.

Bill

Yup I hear you. I have never used it for states, but I know that you can. I have only used it for countries. I am pretty sure you can do what you are saying though.

Sem

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 20, 2022, 04:02:01 PMGotcha. I have never used it to tell it I'm in a different state than I'm in. I only know how to use it for countries.
Yup I hear you. I have never used it for states, but I know that you can. I have only used it for countries. I am pretty sure you can do what you are saying though.

This thread got me thinking, like Bill said, use it as a way to grab a NYC IP address. I would imagine the VPN companies can issue addresses from various cities, as well as other countries, as long as they have the infrastructure in place to do so. Upon further investigation I see you can even download and install VPN software directly on your router if it supports that, (not all do). The obvious benefit to that would be that all connected devices then get the VPN hosted address rather than your local ISP address. So you'd be able to watch directly on a TV, (via Roku or AppleTV in my case), rather than on a laptop or tablet. Can anyone here verify that this works?

MadisonGiantFan

I was searching the forum for this exact question as I live in Charlotte suburbs and figured spoofing a geographic location through VPN might be my angle this year.  I've done Sunday Ticket U for the past 6 years since we moved down here, but with the price jumping up from from a little over $100 to almost $400 to include Red Zone I find myself at a cross roads.

My sister lives in Asbury Park so I can use her Fios login on Fox App if I can spoof a server to think I am in North NJ.

Has anyone tried this in the past?  I've never used a VPN set up in my own house before.  We are Apple TV heavy.  My IP provider does not allow VPN config in their hardware, so I guess I could get a cheapr router to put in front and only connect to that router when I want to use VPN.

I am not too interested in anything else other than just getting Giants games.

MightyGiants

Quote from: MadisonGiantFan on May 12, 2023, 01:41:09 PMI was searching the forum for this exact question as I live in Charlotte suburbs and figured spoofing a geographic location through VPN might be my angle this year.  I've done Sunday Ticket U for the past 6 years since we moved down here, but with the price jumping up from from a little over $100 to almost $400 to include Red Zone I find myself at a cross roads.

My sister lives in Asbury Park so I can use her Fios login on Fox App if I can spoof a server to think I am in North NJ.

Has anyone tried this in the past?  I've never used a VPN set up in my own house before.  We are Apple TV heavy.  My IP provider does not allow VPN config in their hardware, so I guess I could get a cheapr router to put in front and only connect to that router when I want to use VPN.

I am not too interested in anything else other than just getting Giants games.

I don't have a full answer.  I can tell you that services have the ability to distinguish between VPN and other proxy addresses and natural IP addresses.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE