News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Do any of you use hulu as your streaming service

Started by Bill Brown, June 02, 2023, 07:47:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 03, 2023, 09:03:52 AMEd,

That depends on how you would stream it.  If you have a smart TV that is capable of downloading the Youtube streaming app, then you would use the TV remote.  If you are using an addon like an Amazon Firestick or Roku device you would use that remote.
I have Apple TV on one set. Two sets are Smart. I would need a device for two TV's. Apple is $150. Might make more sense to upgrade the TV. What do you recommend.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on June 03, 2023, 09:12:26 AMI have Apple TV on one set. Two sets are Smart. I would need a device for two TV's. Apple is $150. Might make more sense to upgrade the TV. What do you recommend.

I am partial to Amazon Firesticks.  They are nifty devices that can be had for as low as $20 something (on sale or refurbished) to $40 or $50 something (depending on features and if you want/need 4K).  As long as the TV has an HDMI
port, they work.   

Of course, if you want a newer TV with a better picture, upgrading is always an option. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Sem

Ed, maybe I'm not understanding, (still on my first cup of coffee). You already have an Apple TV box? You already have two "smart" tv's? Why would you need to get anything else? YouTube TV is just an app to install, like Netflix. Buy the service, install the app, sign in and you're all set. I have an Apple TV gen4, two Roku boxes, and an Amazon Firestick. They all do do basically the same thing but just present you with their own interface. Of the three I have the Firestick is my least favorite (sorry Rich), but only because I'm not a fan of their interface. I find it a tad kludgy.

Bill Brown

I have had both the Firestick and the ROKU. I like the ROKU better. But both are good devices.

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

Ed Vette

Quote from: Sem on June 03, 2023, 10:49:02 AMEd, maybe I'm not understanding, (still on my first cup of coffee). You already have an Apple TV box? You already have two "smart" tv's? Why would you need to get anything else? YouTube TV is just an app to install, like Netflix. Buy the service, install the app, sign in and you're all set. I have an Apple TV gen4, two Roku boxes, and an Amazon Firestick. They all do do basically the same thing but just present you with their own interface. Of the three I have the Firestick is my least favorite (sorry Rich), but only because I'm not a fan of their interface. I find it a tad kludgy.
I would need Roku or fire stick on two of the five TV's. So they have their own remote?

How many TV's can one account apply to for YouTube TV? Does one account apply to all my TV's?

Anyone, does a Frndly account apply to all TV's for that one price?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Sem

Quote from: Ed Vette on June 03, 2023, 12:16:38 PMI would need Roku or fire stick on two of the five TV's. So they have their own remote?

How many TV's can one account apply to for YouTube TV? Does one account apply to all my TV's?

Anyone, does a Frndly account apply to all TV's for that one price?
Gotcha.

Yes, Roku and Firestick both come with their own remotes.

Yes, one YouTube TV account can be added to all the TV's, but as far as I know you can only have up to three simultaneous streams going at one time.

I don't know anything about the Frndly service.

Bill Brown

Frndly cost me 8.99 a month. The 2$ more than you see advertised is so I can record the shows and you can watch on 4 devices at 1 time. For my money, it's the best viewing app for the price.

They offer a free 7 day trial. Doesn't hurt to look.

Bill

Ed Vette

Quote from: Sem on June 03, 2023, 12:43:33 PMGotcha.

Yes, Roku and Firestick both come with their own remotes.

Yes, one YouTube TV account can be added to all the TV's, but as far as I know you can only have up to three simultaneous streams going at one time.

I don't know anything about the Frndly service.
Do you have any add on's like HBO?
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Sem

Quote from: Ed Vette on June 03, 2023, 01:01:47 PMDo you have any add on's like HBO?
Nope. Just some other stand-alone apps - NFL+Premium, MLB.TV, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and a few other freebies.

Every once in a while YouTube TV offers a free weekend of HBO, Showtime, etc. I use that to catch up on shows like Curb Your Enthusiasm, Ray Donovan, etc. But I've yet to add any of those to my subscription. As I've said my tv viewing is probably quite different than most folks.

Ed Vette

@Bill Brown @Sem @MightyGiants
I set up the free trial for YouTubeTV and Frndly on the AppleTV and my laptop and Iphone. The only add on I may want is the Redzone. To record on Frndly is very easy but I have to figure it out on YouTube. I think this can work for us. The alarm company needs the landline or they will charge me for an upgrade. I have the cable bundled package for internet, landline and cable with Optimum. I can switch the landline to AT&T probably for $25. a month and see if Optimum will give me a decent rate for internet hopefully around $75. This should all save us about $100 a month. I get apple tv, HBOMax, Netflix, Hulu already. So I shouldn't miss shows from regular HBO. 
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on June 03, 2023, 02:27:24 PM@Bill Brown @Sem @MightyGiants
I set up the free trial for YouTubeTV and Frndly on the AppleTV and my laptop and Iphone. The only add on I may want is the Redzone. To record on Frndly is very easy but I have to figure it out on YouTube. I think this can work for us. The alarm company needs the landline or they will charge me for an upgrade. I have the cable bundled package for internet, landline and cable with Optimum. I can switch the landline to AT&T probably for $25. a month and see if Optimum will give me a decent rate for internet hopefully around $75. This should all save us about $100 a month. I get apple tv, HBOMax, Netflix, Hulu already. So I shouldn't miss shows from regular HBO. 

One thing I will be curious about is the DVR of both services.  With Fios, it's easy to skip the commercials having set up the remote with a 30-second skip forward and a 10-second skip back.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 03, 2023, 03:12:38 PMOne thing I will be curious about is the DVR of both services.  With Fios, it's easy to skip the commercials having set up the remote with a 30-second skip forward and a 10-second skip back.
Just playing with them now but it looks like a 15 second back and forth with YouTube but on Frndly you can only go back 10.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Trying to get Frndly on two Samsung smart TV's but the App isn't available. @Bill Brown any tips? I saw something about doing it through the smart phone.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bill Brown

Quote from: Ed Vette on June 04, 2023, 10:54:33 AMTrying to get Frndly on two Samsung smart TV's but the App isn't available. @Bill Brown any tips? I saw something about doing it through the smart phone.

I have a Samsung smart TV but I run everything through my roku device.

Bill

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bill Brown on June 04, 2023, 01:25:49 PMI have a Samsung smart TV but I run everything through my roku device.

Bill
Thanks
~ Coach Tom Coughlin