News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Do any of you use hulu as your streaming service

Started by Bill Brown, June 02, 2023, 07:47:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sem

I've never had a smart TV. Aside from the apps that initially come with one how do you load new apps as they become available? I assume the TV is connected to your home router so is it an automatic download or do you have to initiate downloading new apps manually?

MightyGiants

Quote from: Sem on June 04, 2023, 02:09:52 PMI've never had a smart TV. Aside from the apps that initially come with one how do you load new apps as they become available? I assume the TV is connected to your home router so is it an automatic download or do you have to initiate downloading new apps manually?

This varies from TV to TV.  As I told Ed, I prefer Amazon Fire Sticks.  One of the benefits is uniform operation from set to set.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bill Brown

Quote from: MightyGiants on June 04, 2023, 02:11:43 PMThis varies from TV to TV.  As I told Ed, I prefer Amazon Fire Sticks.  One of the benefits is uniform operation from set to set.

I have a Samsung smart TV, a Vizio TV and 2 others. Not sure of brands. I run  3 roku sticks and 1 roku box. We run any app that we have.

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bill Brown on June 04, 2023, 06:00:51 PMI have a Samsung smart TV, a Vizio TV and 2 others. Not sure of brands. I run  3 roku sticks and 1 roku box. We run any app that we have.

Bill

Roku is a good alternative
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Sem

They all work basically the same, download an app and you can run it. I bet somewhere on the web you can find out which platform is quickest to add new apps, and which one has the greatest selection. I would think all three of the big ones - Apple, Amazon, and Roku - have very similar app options. In the end all it should come down to is price and/or which interface you like best. I just don't know how quick TV manufactures are at adding apps to their smart TV models. Perhaps planned obsolescence gives them less of an incentive to do so, but I'm not sure.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bill Brown on June 04, 2023, 06:00:51 PMI have a Samsung smart TV, a Vizio TV and 2 others. Not sure of brands. I run  3 roku sticks and 1 roku box. We run any app that we have.

Bill
I set up Roku express on Linda's mothers TV and it's less complicated now but still have to use the tv remote to adjust the volume and to shut the tv off. Is that how yours works too? I see various models on Amazon and it would have been better for her to have just one remote.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Sem

Quote from: Ed Vette on June 06, 2023, 10:03:00 AMI set up Roku express on Linda's mothers TV and it's less complicated now but still have to use the tv remote to adjust the volume and to shut the tv off. Is that how yours works too? I see various models on Amazon and it would have been better for her to have just one remote.
That's the one downfall, at least in my house. I've never looked at trying to get down to a single remote for my Roku. My Amazon Firestick remote works well for powering the TV and Firestick, changing channels, and volume though, so extra points for that. In fairness my Apple TV remote might be able to do the same if I had the box directly connected to the TV. But I'm first going through a 5.1 surround receiver which complicates things a bit. I know there's programmable multi-function remotes that should allow you to use just one remote, but I think they can be quite expensive, (for a good one), so I've never explored that option.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Sem on June 06, 2023, 10:33:53 AMThat's the one downfall, at least in my house. I've never looked at trying to get down to a single remote for my Roku. My Amazon Firestick remote works well for powering the TV and Firestick, changing channels, and volume though, so extra points for that. In fairness my Apple TV remote might be able to do the same if I had the box directly connected to the TV. But I'm first going through a 5.1 surround receiver which complicates things a bit. I know there's programmable multi-function remotes that should allow you to use just one remote, but I think they can be quite expensive, (for a good one), so I've never explored that option.
My Apple TV powers on and has volume control but it doesn't shut the TV off. The other downside of the Roku is it's recharge is USB and her smart TV doesn't have one so it has to be plugged in. Also the HDMI cord is very short.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on June 06, 2023, 10:03:00 AMI set up Roku express on Linda's mothers TV and it's less complicated now but still have to use the tv remote to adjust the volume and to shut the tv off. Is that how yours works too? I see various models on Amazon and it would have been better for her to have just one remote.

When I got my mother to watch streaming, I had to simplify things for her.  So I ordered this programmable remote that allowed her to do everything from one remote.  You can even program it to do more complicated and repetitive functions.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XG1HT7G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Optimum offers a one Gig Fiber Internet for $70.
https://www.optimum.com/internet

Should I purchase and upgrade the Modem/Router? any recommendations? I'm using an apple router but rent Optimum's Modem for $10 a month. Right now the internet service is 200 Mbps. The plan I currently have is $89.99 with unlimited Optimum Wifi and they give me a credit so the net cost is $47.99 but I'm dropping Cable TV. 
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Sem

Quote from: Ed Vette on June 06, 2023, 11:12:06 AMOptimum offers a one Gig Fiber Internet for $70.
https://www.optimum.com/internet

Should I purchase and upgrade the Modem/Router? any recommendations? I'm using an apple router but rent Optimum's Modem for $10 a month. Right now the internet service is 200 Mbps. The plan I currently have is $89.99 with unlimited Optimum Wifi and they give me a credit so the net cost is $47.99 but I'm dropping Cable TV. 

If I'm understanding correctly you'll soon be paying a lot more for Optimum stand-alone internet service after you sever your cableTV from them. The price jump, plus the $10 rental fee for their modem, would prompt me to look to buy my own modem. If you do just make sure the modem you buy can handle 1 gig speeds. May not be an issue if they all do that that now, I don't know. Also find out the specs of your Apple router and make sure it too can handle the faster speed. Not all can.

I just replaced my router with one that allows me to load vpn config files on it, giving me vpn protection on all connected devices on my home network. Plus, (fingers crossed) it will allow me to watch Giants games in real-time since I'm out of network.

Bill Brown

I know I have 2 tvs with ROKU devices and we only need the ROKU remote to do everything. I think you might try making your TV go to the roku device on startup.

Bill

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bill Brown on June 06, 2023, 11:49:04 AMI know I have 2 tvs with ROKU devices and we only need the ROKU remote to do everything. I think you might try making your TV go to the roku device on startup.

Bill
This is the remote. Nothing on the sides. It does start the tv when I hit the home button but doesn't shut it down and no volume controls.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bill Brown on June 06, 2023, 11:49:04 AMI know I have 2 tvs with ROKU devices and we only need the ROKU remote to do everything. I think you might try making your TV go to the roku device on startup.

Bill
Roku does have a replacement remote but I'm not sure if it's compatible with what have now, Roku express. It doesn't it all like yours. 
https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/roku-voice-remote
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bill Brown

Quote from: Ed Vette on June 06, 2023, 12:13:00 PMRoku does have a replacement remote but I'm not sure if it's compatible with what have now, Roku express. It doesn't it all like yours. 
https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/roku-voice-remote

That one looks exactly like mine. Volume controls on the side. It's the only remote I need to run my TV.

Bill