News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

I never experienced anything like it- The wildfire smoke

Started by MightyGiants, June 06, 2023, 05:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

I live in north Jersey and my neighborhood is covered in smoke.  The sun is just a dull orange orb.  It smells of smoke.  If you stay outside for more than 5 minutes your eyes start to sting.  All of this is from wild fires a thousand miles away in Canada
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Pretty incredible.

Makes you think about all the things we breathe that we can't see.

Ed Vette

Almost like Brian's tailgate smoke pit. Close the windows. It's not good and a lot of people will be experiencing side effects.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

I live in Upstate New York in a rural area and we have the same problem. Everything is yellow outside as if I'm wearing yellow sunglasses, and visibility is only a half mile or so. Really weird. Never seen anything like it in my lifetime...and the air stinks
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on June 07, 2023, 09:08:09 AMI live in Upstate New York in a rural area and we have the same problem. Everything is yellow outside as if I'm wearing yellow sunglasses, and visibility is only a half mile or so. Really weird. Never seen anything like it in my lifetime...and the air stinks

I have seen this on TV.  Fear the Walking Dead imagined a post-Zombie/Post-nuclear. Apocalypse landscape that looks the same as what I am seeing looking out my office window
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

It's bad again this afternoon but a mask did help.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Sorry all of you have to deal with it.  I've experienced it like that around 3-4x when I lived in CA.  Smelling like brisket with the ash covering everything outside wears in you.  One year we packed up and drove to the Rockies for 2 weeks to get away from it.  For those who can do that, I'd suggest a roadtrip to get away from it.  Prayers to you.

AZGiantFan

We had something like this in CA years ago, but the fires were much closer, so we got ash along with the smoke.  Cars made it look like it had been snowing because of the ash buil-dp.  Schools were closed for a week, and you could see the glow of the fires in the distance.  Fortunately we didn't have to evacuate.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

kartanoman

Having lived in Texas, New Mexico and now Arizona, it is fairly commonplace to deal with this stuff out here. In fact, on the east side of the Valley here in Phoenix last week, a small brush fire got out of hand and kicked up enough smoke to bump up the health hazard from Apache Junction to downtown Phoenix (NOTE: thankfully, we were spared in the West Valley). We were up to about 103-105 degrees and had the fortune of a small cold front blow through to knock our temps into the low 90s and take care of the smoke issue.

I feel for you all along the Eastern seaboard who have had to put up with the fallout from the Canadian forest fires. Your average instance makes it uncomfortable outside but it looked like a nightmare for you all. I'm glad it is starting to dissipate for you today and, hopefully, will completely wind down soon.

Good luck.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)