News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT- BBH now has a Mastodon Account

Started by MightyGiants, July 03, 2023, 07:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on July 07, 2023, 05:27:48 PM100% true.  Was only comparing based on love of media attention.

What anyone does privately is up to them.  I'm just dont want to see them always in the news.

Understood - fair enough.

Frankly I don't understand the desire for constant attention, particularly if you have that kind of wealth. If you have that kind of wealth you're going to have a hard time avoiding attention as it is. You'll have all kinds of people wanting to get in front of you, talk to you, propose things to you, invite you to all kinds of events etc. It's hard to imagine actively wanting more than that. Knowing myself, on this particular issue if I were in that position my efforts would be towards shunning as much as possible the constant attention rather than pursuing it.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 07, 2023, 03:40:28 PMMusk gets kicked around for all of the reasons discussed, and fair enough, but the reality is that a lot of these guys are flawed. For example, people like to put Gates up on a pedestal but he's not some saint either. He cheated on his wife relentlessly and did god knows what in all his close personal associations and extensive dealings with Jeffrey Epstein, a convicted serial child rapist. If we are going after billionaires for less than savory behavior, he hardly deserves any sort of pass.

Musk gets "kicked around" because he is an evil, dishonest man.  Remember when he falsely accused one of the rescuers of the boys trapped in the cave of being a pedophile? 

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

bobalobabingbong

Thanks for setting up the mastodon account.  I haven't been on twitter for a long time, even before Musk took over.  I've never liked how discussions become over there.  And I believe in open source software so support it where I can.
- Dan

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

MightyGiants

I have to figure out how to get BBH onto Threads:

Instagram Threads hits 100 million users, becoming easily the fastest growing app ever

https://www.independent.co.uk/tech/instagram-threads-twitter-users-elon-musk-million-b2372336.html?utm_source=reddit.com

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Rich,

Have you considered personally boycotting Twitter due to your stance on Musk?

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 10, 2023, 09:42:06 AMRich,

Have you considered personally boycotting Twitter due to your stance on Musk?

Sadly, my Twitter usage is tied to BBH.  Ethically, that puts me in a bind.   Twitter (until Musk completely destroys it) still benefits BBH.  So it comes down to boycotting Musk because I find the man evil and offensive and harm BBH or participate in Twitter for the good of BBH. 

It was an ethical dilemma and one with no clear-cut solution.  So I took the pragmatic approach.  As the founder of BBH, I feel an ethical obligation to do what is best for the forum.   On the other side, I don't think the world's richest man is impacted by my $8 a month for a blue check mark, and the traffic we may generate doesn't impact Twitter way.   So until Musk completely destroys Twitter, I am holding my nose and doing what's best for the forum (even if it goes against my personal ethical and moral code).

It's pretty frustrating that an evil man like Musk became rich enough that he could harm me (by purchasing Twitter).   Doesn't seem right or fair, but it is what it is.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 10, 2023, 10:04:45 AMSadly, my Twitter usage is tied to BBH.  Ethically, that puts me in a bind.   Twitter (until Musk completely destroys it) still benefits BBH.  So it comes down to boycotting Musk because I find the man evil and offensive and harm BBH or participate in Twitter for the good of BBH. 

It was an ethical dilemma and one with no clear-cut solution.  So I took the pragmatic approach.  As the founder of BBH, I feel an ethical obligation to do what is best for the forum.   On the other side, I don't think the world's richest man is impacted by my $8 a month for a blue check mark, and the traffic we may generate doesn't impact Twitter way.   So until Musk completely destroys Twitter, I am holding my nose and doing what's best for the forum (even if it goes against my personal ethical and moral code).

It's pretty frustrating that an evil man like Musk became rich enough that he could harm me (by purchasing Twitter).   Doesn't seem right or fair, but it is what it is.

I think I've about had enough of the useless, endless, pointless, meritless bashing of one guy.

I may soon have no choice but to "put aside MY ethical principles" /sarcasm/ and begin deleting any repetitive portions of posts in this (or similar) threads.

Brian has already issued a warning... loud and clear.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 10, 2023, 10:04:45 AMSadly, my Twitter usage is tied to BBH.  Ethically, that puts me in a bind.   Twitter (until Musk completely destroys it) still benefits BBH.  So it comes down to boycotting Musk because I find the man evil and offensive and harm BBH or participate in Twitter for the good of BBH. 

You reasoning around staying on board, despite your stance, seems pragmatic and sensible. Was just curious how you approached that dilemma.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Bob In PA on July 10, 2023, 10:13:28 AMI think I've about had enough of the useless, endless, pointless, meritless bashing of one guy.

I may soon have no choice but to "put aside MY ethical principles" /sarcasm/ and begin deleting any repetitive portions of posts in this (or similar) threads.

Brian has already issued a warning... loud and clear.

Bob

Bob,

FWIW (and I realize I am just one person and others may feel very differently), disagreeing about Elon Musk doesn't seem like a subject that, by itself, should be that offensive. I don't feel the same way Rich does, but it's not like anyone is attacking each other or being disrespectful or uncivil. Frankly, I have seen way more of that in the football threads in the past 48 hours than I have in this thread.

I get that any subject that veers into even a vague political arena is not ideal here, so fair enough if all of this gets locked up, but so far I don't see any posts that are put-downs of others or attacking people in any way. People seem to be stating their views, providing rationale, and not really putting others down. Is a difference of opinion between members, by itself, offensive?

Again - I am not trying to be provocative here in any way. I totally understand if you and other admins want to end/lock it. I will lose zero sleep over that. But twitter/threads/mastodon seem topical, and there is literally nothing going on in football right now, so I just thought I'd ask.

Bob In PA

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on July 10, 2023, 10:24:58 AMAgain - I am not trying to be provocative here in any way. I totally understand if you and other admins want to end/lock it.
DB: In fact, we DO NOT want to end/lock it, which is the reason for the various warnings.

In this case, however, and speaking only for myself, the point is "too much repetition."

I get it.  Some people REALLY dislike Elon Musk. I don't care a whit. LOL

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

Elon has changed twitters name to X or at least he's trying to. He so desperately wants to turn Twitter into Wechat that it is killing him. Zuckerberg already tried to do that and failed in the US with Facebook. It only worked in smaller countries.

Ed Vette

I like Threads. It could take Twitter down and Twitter may wind up with the vile content as its base.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jclayton92

Quote from: Ed Vette on July 24, 2023, 08:32:31 AMI like Threads. It could take Twitter down and Twitter may wind up with the vile content as its base.
That's all that twitter is now, bots, only fans models, angry little boys, and hate mobs.