News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Bone on Bone Knee Pain

Started by Giant Obsession, July 29, 2023, 12:38:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giant Obsession

As I near 70 I am now experiencing the uneven thinned out remaining cartilage in both of my knees and the resulting pain, especially in my left knee. 
I will try and work thru this with my chiropractor before hitting the orthopedic side of medicine.  We start Monday.

Of course I have been pounding the old R.I.C.E. for the last 3 weeks with minimal results.

Can anyone recommend a really good specific brace (OMG there seem to be hundreds) and /or a good analgesic balm for some relief.  I have tried DMSO and all the otc stuff with no positive results.  I realize kneecap replacement may ulutimately lie in the weeds waiting for me but until that time how do you all feel about joint supplements, injections to replace cartilage, etc.

Thanks for any help.

Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

GIANTS1

Nothing worked for me til i bit the bullet an had both replaced. was 52 at time. best move i made.

DaveBrown74

Giant,

I am very sorry to hear you are dealing with this discomfort.

All I can offer is that I have a close relative who had a knee replacement done at an age similar to yours, and he has repeatedly said ever since that he wishes he had gotten it done sooner. This seems line up to what Giants1 has just said.

MightyGiants

Weight loss, stretching, and diclofenac Gel are the best things you can do for your knees (from a fellow bone on bone guy).   

These injections have also helped me in the past

https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/treatment/viscosupplementation-treatment-for-knee-arthritis/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

I also find that supplements help

https://www.webmd.com/arthritis/ss/slideshow-supplements-for-joint-pain

I take
Osteo Bi-Flex with tumeric
Gelatin
Hyaluronic Acid
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Giant Obsession

Hey guys thank you so much for the responses.  You all are the reason I consider our website the first place to go whenever I need information and honest hearfelt suggestions.

Since I am just starting down the road to seeing where this will lead I appreciate the support of your suggestions.

God bless all of you and all of us.

Mike
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

Bill Brown

I'm just starting to go through the bone on bone thing.  My wife dealt with hers for a year or 2 and did the cortezone shots and some kind of jelly injections but both of those treatments only lasted a few months.  She finally had partial knee replacements on both knees (8 weeks apart) and now has no issues.  A very good friend also has full knee replacements a couple of years ago and is doing great.  So somewhere down the road I may face it but i do dread the thought.  Some of the supplements Rich mentioned peeked my curiosity.  Good luck with whatever you do Mike.

bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."