News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Well xxxx - "Patriots Way" doesn't fly with Wink

Started by GeauxJints, November 30, 2023, 09:41:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: AZGiantFan on November 30, 2023, 12:07:33 PMSo far, the "Patriots Way" seems to only work when a team has the GOAT playing QB for them.

It's also possible that the "Patriot's Way" hasn't aged that well.  Players today are not the same as the ones playing when the Patriot's Way" was successful. 

It's often been said that Vince Lombardi couldn't coach in today's NFL.  I argue that he likely could have because he would have adapted to the modern ways of thinking and doing things.  Of course sometimes (especially as we get older like Belichick) we become stuck in our ways, and we don't continue to evolve and adapt.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Maybe I'll be wrong, but I have material doubts about Wink being a head coach at any point in the future. He has been a DC for a while now, and in Baltimore he was much more successful than he has been here. I feel like if it was ever going to happen, it would have by now. Are there examples of 60-plus year old first time head coaches who have at least seven years of NFL offensive or defensive coordinator experience? Perhaps there are, but nobody comes to mind.

T200

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 30, 2023, 01:46:51 PMMaybe I'll be wrong, but I have material doubts about Wink being a head coach at any point in the future. He has been a DC for a while now, and in Baltimore he was much more successful than he has been here. I feel like if it was ever going to happen, it would have by now. Are there examples of 60-plus year old first time head coaches who have at least seven years of NFL offensive or defensive coordinator experience? Perhaps there are, but nobody comes to mind.
I believe Bruce Arians falls into that category, just barely though.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

DaveBrown74

Quote from: T200 on November 30, 2023, 02:05:19 PMI believe Bruce Arians falls into that category, just barely though.

Good call.

B1GBLUE

Winning cures all. i feel like this is to be expected when you lose the way we have been. and if its really going down that way, I agree with wink that our offense is so putrid it puts the D in bad situations all game long

GeauxJints

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 30, 2023, 01:46:51 PMMaybe I'll be wrong, but I have material doubts about Wink being a head coach at any point in the future. He has been a DC for a while now, and in Baltimore he was much more successful than he has been here. I feel like if it was ever going to happen, it would have by now. Are there examples of 60-plus year old first time head coaches who have at least seven years of NFL offensive or defensive coordinator experience? Perhaps there are, but nobody comes to mind.
I also never liked the thought of D Coordinator as your headcoach. Just not the type of football I like to watch IMO. Again, BB is the exception to the rule. Seems he's the exception to every rule

Philosophers

Agree with you.

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: T200 on November 30, 2023, 02:05:19 PMI believe Bruce Arians falls into that category, just barely though.
Yes but Arians had the benefit of great QB play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

TDToomer

Quote from: GeauxJints on November 30, 2023, 03:50:50 PMI also never liked the thought of D Coordinator as your headcoach. Just not the type of football I like to watch IMO. Again, BB is the exception to the rule. Seems he's the exception to every rule

Uh, Bill Parcells?
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

nicky1000

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 30, 2023, 10:22:00 AMI think back on how many times Gary Myers and Paul Schwartz fired Tom Coughlin because he lost the team.

Sometimes I think the only one who focus' on what's important is Patty Traina. She had some excellent questions at Daboll's presser.

She is the best and her podcasts are honest and thoughtful. I think she really takes the time to know the man AND the story.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: TDToomer on December 01, 2023, 09:20:52 AMUh, Bill Parcells?

Fair point obviously, and there are other examples if we go back decades. I'd say with the way the NFL has evolved in the last 15-20 years though, all things equal it seems more logical to have a strong offensive mind as your head coach. If not, you need a good coordinator, and any good coordinator who has success with you is going to be gone in 1-2 years.

Still, this is not to say there will never be exceptions. Demeco Ryans is certainly looking good so far, and Vrabel is a respected head coach even though the Titans are bad now. So it's still clearly possible to have a good HC with a defensive background. But all things equal I'd rather have a HC who understands offense and QB play and is not a guy you have to worry about bolting for another job the second he has some success.