News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Seriously, lets get behind Tommy DeVito and stop the Doubting Thomas narrative

Started by BluesCruz, December 12, 2023, 07:59:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jclayton92

Pretty sure the person refrenced Devito to Delhomme and Fitzpatrick not because of ability but because one was undrafted and the other was a seventh round pick, and both became starters in the NFL for several years.

Trench

Once Devito learns how to read the defense better and audible we will see an even bigger improvement. I remember in preseason how he seemed to "learn from his mistakes on the fly" and immediate corrective action implemented. It seems as if this has carried over to the regular season games. Instead of the game speeding up on him, it appears to slow down for him.

He can be a very good NFL backup and maybe more. He has done well to prove it thus far.

StompYouOT

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 12, 2023, 02:20:13 PMThe problem is that a Jake Delhomme or Ryan Fitzpatrick doesn't win you super bowls in the modern NFL. You have to have a top 10 guy and even if you do it's still super hard. To even be in the conversation though you need Elite.

I don't disagree although Jake nearly did it. Hell who won with the Eagles?  Foles??  You never know.  We have to make a stand here since we're out on Williams and Maye.  I never thought this roster was as bad as it looked.  I really thought Jones was dragging us down and now at least we're competitive.

I'm actually ....looking forward to watching games again.

BlueMoshik

Am I the only one here who's not too old to remember another Jersey kid who grew up near Giants Stadium, rooting for the Giants, from an ethnic family, who then attended 3rd-rate football school, and came to the Giants as an undrafted no-name backup who got his chance because of an injury to a starter, and wound up playing really well, taking the place by storm, causing a media sensation and exciting the home fans?

Hmmm I wonder who that could be?

https://tenor.com/view/victor-cruz-dance-football-groovy-when-your-song-plays-gif-4855958

TDToomer

Quote from: BlueMoshik on December 13, 2023, 04:29:25 AMAm I the only one here who's not too old to remember another Jersey kid who grew up near Giants Stadium, rooting for the Giants, from an ethnic family, who then attended 3rd-rate football school, and came to the Giants as an undrafted no-name backup who got his chance because of an injury to a starter, and wound up playing really well, taking the place by storm, causing a media sensation and exciting the home fans?

Hmmm I wonder who that could be?

https://tenor.com/view/victor-cruz-dance-football-groovy-when-your-song-plays-gif-4855958

Not at all. There have been comparison especially since DeVito was asked to throw balls to Cruz as a High School Senior to help the later rehab from injury and get ready for camp.

I am getting Danny Kanell vibes from Cutlets. Both started their careers 3-1 replacing a former Duke QB. Neither put up overwhelming passing yards but get the job done.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

DaveBrown74

Quote from: TDToomer on December 13, 2023, 09:04:14 AMNot at all. There have been comparison especially since DeVito was asked to throw balls to Cruz as a High School Senior to help the later rehab from injury and get ready for camp.

I am getting Danny Kanell vibes from Cutlets. Both started their careers 1-3 replacing a former Duke QB. Neither put up overwhelming passing yards but get the job done.

I assume you mean 3-1?

zephirus

Boy am I glad none of you are general managers.  The level of unbridled, myopic hype for DeVito really is akin to Linsanity.  It's that kind of hot take fandom that makes me avoid talking football.

There's so much to like about DeVito, and not even the Italian-American local-kid-makes-good schlock the media is feeding us.  He's not putting the ball in harms way.  He's got some wiggle when he runs.  He's a credible passer.  He's an incredibly cheap backup on a team with a starter prone to injury.  And that's pretty much where the story ends for me.  Beating a couple of middling teams behind strong defensive efforts and playing turnover-free is what we should demand of every back-up, let alone a starter. 

That doesn't mean we need to commit to anything beyond this season.  With Tyrod Taylor on the way out and Jones' uncertain status, Schoen has already said he plans to address the QB position in the offseason.  The reality is, regardless of what people on this board seem to think, finances play a massive role in determining who the starter is and Daniel Jones will be your starter when he returns to being healthy.  I chuckle when I see the people who lauded the Jones deal now chasing the next shiny car like a dog.  2024 will probably include both Jones and DeVito and the results on the field are unlikely to change.  A sub .500 team who's got some scrap to them.  People will say "we could win a championship with him!" when they should really ask themselves "can we consistently compete for a championship, year in and out with him?"  Until you can answer that question with a yes, you continue to look for a QB who matches that criteria.  Not a "good enough to make the playoffs" guy like Jones.  Not a "OMG HE WON 3 WHOLE GAMES IN A ROWWWWWW" the drunkards in the parking lot scream about.  Please wake me when we draft the next Eli Manning, or draft a real QB in the top 10 that isn't a reach.  More likely than not, until then, the Giants won't amount to much.

BluesCruz

Quote from: zephirus on December 13, 2023, 09:45:43 AMBoy am I glad none of you are general managers.  The level of unbridled, myopic hype for DeVito really is akin to Linsanity.  It's that kind of hot take fandom that makes me avoid talking football.

There's so much to like about DeVito, and not even the Italian-American local-kid-makes-good schlock the media is feeding us.  He's not putting the ball in harms way.  He's got some wiggle when he runs.  He's a credible passer.  He's an incredibly cheap backup on a team with a starter prone to injury.  And that's pretty much where the story ends for me.  Beating a couple of middling teams behind strong defensive efforts and playing turnover-free is what we should demand of every back-up, let alone a starter. 

That doesn't mean we need to commit to anything beyond this season.  With Tyrod Taylor on the way out and Jones' uncertain status, Schoen has already said he plans to address the QB position in the offseason.  The reality is, regardless of what people on this board seem to think, finances play a massive role in determining who the starter is and Daniel Jones will be your starter when he returns to being healthy.  I chuckle when I see the people who lauded the Jones deal now chasing the next shiny car like a dog.  2024 will probably include both Jones and DeVito and the results on the field are unlikely to change.  A sub .500 team who's got some scrap to them.  People will say "we could win a championship with him!" when they should really ask themselves "can we consistently compete for a championship, year in and out with him?"  Until you can answer that question with a yes, you continue to look for a QB who matches that criteria.  Not a "good enough to make the playoffs" guy like Jones.  Not a "OMG HE WON 3 WHOLE GAMES IN A ROWWWWWW" the drunkards in the parking lot scream about.  Please wake me when we draft the next Eli Manning, or draft a real QB in the top 10 that isn't a reach.  More likely than not, until then, the Giants won't amount to much.

nice try but he's leading the NFL in QBR by a mile
until he losses maybe not the right time to throw ice water on his future
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

uconnjack8

Quote from: BluesCruz on December 15, 2023, 01:51:34 PMnice try but he's leading the NFL in QBR by a mile

He is not leading the NFL in QBR.  He had the best QBR in week 14.  His total for the year is subpar. 

Here is the season leaders up to #29. He is not in the top 30 for QBR for a season total. The guys at the bottom of the list have a better QBR than Tommy does.

Tommy's got a 26.2 total for the year. His last game was a huge improvement.

Fletch

QBR LOL? Wasn't there another guy on here touting Jacoby Brisset for having a good QBR? The dude is a back up to Sam Howell on like his 4 th team.

In any case, I liked Devito's effert and so far he has surprised me. But part of it is that I did not think the defense could generate as many turnovers yet again as they did 3 weeks in a row but here we are.

Look you cannot compare a team like the Lions and Goff to Devito and the Giants. They run jet sweeps and things like that because they have a legit passing threat that defenses need to respect. Devito and his 158 yards passing just simply is not that.

He is a great story and playing great given the circumstances but, I just don't see him as legit QB1 material. If he can lead an offense up and down the field -- without the defense giving him a short field a like 2 turnovers a game -- and he can throw for like 300 + yards and 3 TDs in a game -- then I might be a believer.

BluesCruz

Quote from: Fletch on December 15, 2023, 02:52:33 PMQBR LOL? Wasn't there another guy on here touting Jacoby Brisset for having a good QBR? The dude is a back up to Sam Howell on like his 4 th team.

In any case, I liked Devito's effert and so far he has surprised me. But part of it is that I did not think the defense could generate as many turnovers yet again as they did 3 weeks in a row but here we are.

LOL. Ok but be prepared to be shown wrong in the end

There are about ten factors that go into QB play.  Yds per game is wayyy over-rated as a sole indicator

If it were total Yds per game you have to add Tommys 71 on the ground

Look you cannot compare a team like the Lions and Goff to Devito and the Giants. They run jet sweeps and things like that because they have a legit passing threat that defenses need to respect. Devito and his 158 yards passing just simply is not that.

He is a great story and playing great given the circumstances but, I just don't see him as legit QB1 material. If he can lead an offense up and down the field -- without the defense giving him a short field a like 2 turnovers a game -- and he can throw for like 300 + yards and 3 TDs in a game -- then I might be a believer.
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

brownelvis54

Quote from: BluesCruz on December 12, 2023, 07:59:44 AMWhat does the man have to do to convince you a winner has finally fallen in your laps?

It is mind boggling how certain people treat and downplay the winning and good play of this guy.

"Lets lose out and draft some NFL untested college hopeful". Incredible

Yeah draft one but let him sit a few years until all the winning stops.

If the Giants would just rotate their RBs like 90% of the league.  These victory margins would be much larger

I saw Detroit run 2 Jet sweeps and one pitchout the other day in succession.  I said to myself why cant we do something like that?

Dabol/Kafka would not call that in a month of Sundays

Tommy is not holding the offense back the coaches and the RB are.

3rd and 13s are more our norm

What does the man have to do to convince you a winner has finally fallen in your laps?

Where to begin...........
The KING is in the building

coggs

Quote from: BluesCruz on December 15, 2023, 01:51:34 PMnice try but he's leading the NFL in QBR by a mile
He also finished 8th in the Heisman, right?  You should seriously think about double-checking these "facts" you post.  All of this info can be easily found on this thing we now have called, "the internet".  Some may refer to it as the "world wide web".  If you go to google, do a search for "internet" and read all about it.

TDToomer

"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs