News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Is DeVito’s success a fluke or sustainable?

Started by Ed Vette, December 14, 2023, 11:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jclayton92

Quote from: BluesCruz on December 17, 2023, 11:36:36 AMwhen did passing yards per game become the gating factor?
If so Kerry Collins who did everything else wrong is a lock for Canton
You can't win long term in the modern NFL with 150 pasing yards period.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Trench on December 17, 2023, 09:58:55 AMIf he can win today and somehow pull off a Christmas miracle against Philly I have a hunch many will see it differently.

Ultimately, it's amazing what a difference a week or couple wins can make in the NFL.

Of course I agree with that, hence why I called the situation fluid. These last four games matter a lot for his perception. If his first four starts have mattered as much as they have (in fact it's three starts because people have given him a full pass for the Dallas start), then his second four should matter just as much in my opinion.

Jclayton92

Quote from: President Rick on December 17, 2023, 11:44:04 AMEd:  Forget last year's playoff game vs. Philly...they were monsters.  DJ was in a playoff game vs Minny..  Remember his stats and the result. He still has not had a solid cast on O, esp. the OL.  Jury still out on him, and we won't know until someday he gets a full season with a decent O and OL.  That may or may not be in NY.
Minnesota was a historically bad secondary. Jones got outplayed be the 2 qbs behind him, that should never happen.

Philosophers

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 17, 2023, 11:46:21 AMYou can't win long term in the modern NFL with 150 pasing yards period.

You can if you have a great running and are managing to control the clock.  Right now no team has that type of running attack and offensive philosophy.

BluesCruz

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 17, 2023, 11:46:21 AMYou can't win long term in the modern NFL with 150 pasing yards period.

Are you secretly Daniel Jones?

150 yds plus 71 rushing. 221yds

he had over 200 vs Washington

You are foolish to pass on a Belichick defense

You are discounting the other 9 attributes a good QB must have
any particular reason

he has a plus 100 QB Rating for the last 3 games all wins

8 TDS?
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Jclayton92

Quote from: BluesCruz on December 17, 2023, 12:03:16 PMAre you secretly Daniel Jones?

150 yds plus 71 rushing. 221yds

he had over 200 vs Washington

You are foolish to pass on a Belichick defense

You are discounting the other 9 attributes a good QB must have
any particular reason

he has a plus 100 QB Rating for the last 3 games all wins

8 TDS?
Name 1 Qb that is currently winning at a high level consistently in the NFL averaging less than 200 yards passing? It's ok I'll wait.....

If you would have paid attention to any thread other than the ones you spam you would realize that I am in no way a fan of Daniel Jones.

The patriots are averaging 220 yards a game through the air on defense and giving up the 15th best passer rating, so why wouldn't people throw against them they've only won 3 games all year?

Look I know you are extremely invested in Devito, we all know it you've made it abundantly clear. I simply stated that you can't win in the NFL averaging 150 a game. The NFL is a passing league now, and all the best teams throw the football at high volume.

Devito is a great story and Daboll/Kafka are doing exactly what they did with Jones last season, playing mistake free football and leaning on the defense. That's great and Devito has made plays when called upon.

The fact still remains that you need an elite Qb to win super bowls and currently I don't see an elite Qb on our roster.

A Qb can have every trait in the world but if he can't throw the ball at a high clip then the other traits/attributes don't matter.

Painter

You got that part right, Jess. Even your whipping boy, Daniel has had more than few games every bit as productive as that. Rather, it was DeVito's last minute comeback resilience against the Pack which should be lauded. But, of course, did we not see Jones pull a major 2H come-from-behind against the Arizonas, earlier in the year?

The only way to know whether you have the "right guy" back there, and not just potentially, is for him to prove it competitively over time which is where they are with Daniel Jones right now for sure, and not yet remotely with DeVito.

By the way, while I will root for either and both, I'm not sold on either of them.

Cheers!

Trench

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 17, 2023, 01:04:31 PMName 1 Qb that is currently winning at a high level consistently in the NFL averaging less than 200 yards passing? It's ok I'll wait.....

If you would have paid attention to any thread other than the ones you spam you would realize that I am in no way a fan of Daniel Jones.

The patriots are averaging 220 yards a game through the air on defense and giving up the 15th best passer rating, so why wouldn't people throw against them they've only won 3 games all year?

Look I know you are extremely invested in Devito, we all know it you've made it abundantly clear. I simply stated that you can't win in the NFL averaging 150 a game. The NFL is a passing league now, and all the best teams throw the football at high volume.

Devito is a great story and Daboll/Kafka are doing exactly what they did with Jones last season, playing mistake free football and leaning on the defense. That's great and Devito has made plays when called upon.

The fact still remains that you need an elite Qb to win super bowls and currently I don't see an elite Qb on our roster.

A Qb can have every trait in the world but if he can't throw the ball at a high clip then the other traits/attributes don't matter.

I agree with everything you said except the part where u need an elite QB to win a Suoer Bowl. Hostetler, Plunkett, Williams, McMahon were not elite at all

Jclayton92

Quote from: Trench on December 17, 2023, 01:13:28 PMI agree with everything you said except the part where u need an elite QB to win a Suoer Bowl. Hostetler, Plunkett, Williams, McMahon were not elite at all
That was decades ago, I said the modern NFL. In the modern NFL you need an elite qb to even hope to get there. Foles being the one example otherwise but what are your chances of replicating a playoff run like those eagles had. Slim to none.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Trench on December 17, 2023, 01:13:28 PMI agree with everything you said except the part where u need an elite QB to win a Suoer Bowl. Hostetler, Plunkett, Williams, McMahon were not elite at all

Different eras. Ever since the league changed the rules about 14 years ago in a way that now vastly favors the passing game (including protecting QBs and inhibiting contact with receivers), teams have not been able to win Super Bowls with McMahon types and a run-based attack.

coggs

DaveBrown74

Quote from: coggs on December 17, 2023, 03:34:20 PMI am sorry, what success?

3-2 record as a starter on a team that is 2-7 in games that any other QB has started.

BluesCruz

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 17, 2023, 04:00:45 PM3-2 record as a starter on a team that is 2-7 in games that any other QB has started.

that was a nightmare but it always happens in New Orleans unfortunately
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

DaveBrown74

Quote from: BluesCruz on December 17, 2023, 04:03:10 PMthat was a nightmare but it always happens in New Orleans unfortunately

I have seen the Giants lose games in New Orleans where our offense still points plenty of points on the board.

Today our offense could not do anything. It was a sorry display. Fewer than 200 total yards. DeVito was certainly a big part of that.

Needless to say our D was very bad too, so it's not just the offense. But even with a solid defensive performance you're not winning many games with an offense that bad.

We need upgrades throughout the offense, especially at the QB position.

coggs

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 17, 2023, 04:00:45 PM3-2 record as a starter on a team that is 2-7 in games that any other QB has started.

you are not being serious with this, are you?  Washington and New England are horrendous and the Giants still needed to hold on at the end. The Green Bay game he had 2 drives where he actually looked like he belongs in the NFL.  He was missing receivers all over the place.