News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Most disappointing player of the 2023 season??

Started by B1GBLUE, December 16, 2023, 02:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 17, 2023, 08:20:36 AMI don't view Waller as a disappointment. He is only a disappointment if you had unrealistic expectations.

Basically, if you looked at his career and decided to use his 2019 and 2020 seasons as your baseline expectation for him, rather than his 2021 and 2022 seasons, then yes, you'd be disappointed. But clearly that wouldn't have been very logical.

We got what we paid for with Waller, simple as that. He has not disappointed if your expectations were realistic. He is what he is at this point.
Do you remember the thread poll on who would have the most yards and TD's? As I recall Waller was at the top. Some predicted he would have over 1000 yards. I think I voted for Slayton. But Waller after being out so many games is still a fairly close second in yards and in receptions. His problem as you know has been availability. I actually think he can have a lot of success with TD.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Surprised there were no mentions of Josh Ezeudu.  A high 3rd round pick on a guard usually gets a team a solid starter.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

andrew_nyGiants

Daniel Jones #1 - I was willing to open my mind to last season and the subsequent contract extension, that the FO & Daboll were seeing more than I did heading into this year.

**I will honorably mention John Mara as I have to believe Schoen & Daboll have better "football eyes" than I do, so my assumption is there was some added pressure there**

My #2 is Schoen for two reasons:
1) is DJ, assuming, the above mentioned, as a GM you need to have the courage of your convictions.

2) his inability to properly address the OL, especially both OG. Pugh is a nice story, but he's not by any means the answer heading into next season not to mention long term. Let's not forget his injury history.

So in summary: DJ & Schoen are my biggest disappointments this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on December 17, 2023, 09:08:45 AMSurprised there were no mentions of Josh Ezeudu.  A high 3rd round pick on a guard usually gets a team a solid starter.

I would agree he has been a major disappointment. It is impossible for me to put him above Neal though, given the investment made. Moreover, Ezeudu at least showed some flashes when he stepped in for Thomas at LT. I'm not saying he was great, but there were games where he looked better at LT than Neal did at RT.

He's been a big disappointment though, no doubt.

Trench

Quote from: BluesCruz on December 17, 2023, 04:35:17 AM#1.    Daniel Jones-  Obvious- not a starter, should be a backup.  Got paid and regressed
Does not possess a natural feel for QB and not able to rally the troops

Honorable Mentions

Evan Neal-  Did anyone bother to ask if he could block before drafting
Paris Campbell-  Riche James replacement Ugggg. My Vote for worst Free Agent pickup of Century
Saquon Barkley- Overpaid, Cannot get the tough yards- not his fault he is not rotated
Tyrod Taylor- Overpaid, Handing a victory to the Bills, an injury looking to happen
Jason Pinnock- Should learn to wrap up a runner, poor tackling, good pass defender
Waller- should spend some time before games getting those hammies massaged by the training staff

All these but Pinnock should be cut or traded.  Jones can be #1 Backup to DeVito next year if we cnnot find a willing trader

I actually felt Pinnock was playing quite well as the season progressed. The loss of Love defensive play and leadership has been felt. Waller looked good for the short time we saw him. Let's hope today he comes up big - I'm interested to see Devito learn/add the over the middle pass into his repertoire. I also thought Gray was gonna show us more. My other BIG disappointment was Gano.

Slugsy-Narrows

Neal is my disappointment.  Hoped year 2 he come into his own and was at least serviceable on the right.

He may need to move to G!  He doesn't seem to be a OT at the NFL level.

I just hope JS doesn't pull a DG/Flowers and be stubborn on moving him.

https://gmenhq.com/posts/evan-neal-update-further-proves-ny-giants-should-move-him-guard-01hhqe8b0hse

T200

1A - Jones
1B - Neal

Jones gets the top spot for me. A lot of folks say Neal but he was the RT last year and Jones excelled enough to get to, and win, a playoff game with Neal. Jones played well enough to earn a new contract.

This season, while a huge disappointment, Neal's performance was on par with what he did last year. Jones's performance fell off a cliff. Add to it his injuries (not his fault) and he's easily the biggest disappointment on the field.

To have his backup and subsequently his backup's backup, come in and perform so much better is the wakeup call this front office needs to move on from Jones after next season.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Jclayton92

I think you can't blame Ezeudu for his play yet. The reason I say that is that he spent all camp last year at LT filling in for AT then rotated guard during the season, only to actually have a camp at LG to play LT in season. He hasn't been at one position this whole time.

President Rick

is it bellinger's fault that they use him to block and hardly ever throw to him>?  didn't he go one for one last week and a decent gain?   Waller and Neal for me...Waller more because of the $$$$$$$$$$$$$
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

ralphpal1

Jones of course
Then daboll    accepting the kick in overtime against the Jets made no sense and we lost because of that
There was no reason.or.excuse to.do.that
I would put neal but he worked hard to improve  and there was nothing he showed to think he would be able to
Then waller

Painter

Cliche as it may be, the best ability is availability. Quite obviously unavailability has come to define Darren Waller, who the Raiders traded to the Giants for that very reason, namely his having missed a total of 14 games over his previous 2 seasons. And now this year with the Giants, it's been the same old, same old. In a "what have you done for me lately" League, it has been a lost bet of nearly/ maybe not quite Gettleman proportion, I suppose, given his overall cost.

For me personally, and for now and until further notice, my biggest disappointment is 2022's 7th overall pick, Evan Neal. His failures to date have been every bit the liability or more to the Giants Offense than that of Darren Waller.

And so now, we find ourselves with half the wins of a year ago grasping at a cutlet for solace. Will it be a fulfilling menu? We ain't nowhere near an answer to that.

Cheers!

B1GBLUE

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 16, 2023, 02:59:11 PMEasily Neal for me. I was hoping (though not confident) that his rookie year was just a rough start to the NFL and that he'd improve this year. Instead he has continued to stink, he has continued to be brittle, and he totally insulted the fans. Just an all-around disaster.

thats a good one. i heard about all his training in the off season and fully expected at least moderate improvement. hes been brutal.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 16, 2023, 04:23:22 PMI don't think Neal has even played a full 16 games yet so I'm ok with him not leaping off the page and being a superstar just yet. I still think he ends up being a dependable starter with new coaching.

I can't say Jones because I never had high hopes for him previously so there was really no way for him to disappoint me.

I'll go with Mckinney as after the end of 2021 most of us all thought we had a ballhawk on our hands and were excites for his growth. 2022 he didn't have any ints but he was learning Winks system but more importantly was doing the dirty work of usually covering the team we played best players. I remember last season him putting a lid on Henry, CMC, and the Vikings TE in the playoffs and thinking we really had something despite his injuries. Now turn to this year and he's done nothing.

He definitely has not been noteworthy, other than playing every snap. the best ability is availability. also- while he has underperformed, he also hasnt been a major liability either.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: BluesCruz on December 17, 2023, 04:35:17 AM#1.    Daniel Jones-  Obvious- not a starter, should be a backup.  Got paid and regressed
Does not possess a natural feel for QB and not able to rally the troops

Honorable Mentions

Evan Neal-  Did anyone bother to ask if he could block before drafting
Paris Campbell-  Riche James replacement Ugggg. My Vote for worst Free Agent pickup of Century
Saquon Barkley- Overpaid, Cannot get the tough yards- not his fault he is not rotated
Tyrod Taylor- Overpaid, Handing a victory to the Bills, an injury looking to happen
Jason Pinnock- Should learn to wrap up a runner, poor tackling, good pass defender
Waller- should spend some time before games getting those hammies massaged by the training staff

All these but Pinnock should be cut or traded.  Jones can be #1 Backup to DeVito next year if we cannot find a willing trader

Pinnock needs to get batter at tackling, but he looks promising.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: MightyGiants on December 17, 2023, 09:08:45 AMSurprised there were no mentions of Josh Ezeudu.  A high 3rd round pick on a guard usually gets a team a solid starter.

To be fair he was playing out of position most of the few games he played.