News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Sterling Shepard

Started by MightyGiants, January 06, 2024, 02:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uconnjack8

Quote from: TDToomer on January 10, 2024, 08:44:02 AMI disagree. He beat out Sills who is a nobody and Beasley who wasn't healthy enough to play. You could argue he outplayed the worst receiver on the team in Campbell. He just wasn't in the WR rotation. 

What is it you are disagreeing with?  I am not saying his roster spot was sentimental as some have stated.  I am saying if it was, there was no reason for Daboll or Schoen to have those feelings toward Shepard who was with the Giants long before they were.

MightyGiants

my failing eyes couldn't read this, so here is the text for my fellow blind as a bats

sterlingshepard

15h
Forever grateful to the New York Giants organization, past and present teammates, and the incredible fan base for their unwavering love and support over the past 8 years. New Jersey, my second home, will forever hold a special place in my heart. Thank you for embracing me with open arms and making me feel like family. Once a Giant, always a Giant! #GiantsNation #forevergreatful

Quote from: T200 on January 09, 2024, 08:33:53 PMLooks like he's hanging them up.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

TDToomer

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 10, 2024, 09:21:11 AMWhat is it you are disagreeing with?  I am not saying his roster spot was sentimental as some have stated.  I am saying if it was, there was no reason for Daboll or Schoen to have those feelings toward Shepard who was with the Giants long before they were.

Which further shows that he was here on merit and not sentiment.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

uconnjack8

Quote from: TDToomer on January 10, 2024, 09:27:48 AMWhich further shows that he was here on merit and not sentiment.
Unless ownership said that he gets a roster spot.

Doc16LT56

Yes, the merit of 57 total receiving yards and zero contributions on special teams. But he had to hold a roster spot for the entire season with no upside for development. Smh, how ridiculous some of you sound.

DaveBrown74

Shep's occupation of a precious roster spot this year made zero football sense. We said it at the time of the decision, and it proved to be true. It was entirely sentimental and for leadership/cheerleading/locker room purposes. If the coaches really felt that was worth burning a roster spot for, ok, but to the extent that wins and losses actually matter, it's hard to find any evidence that his being there helped. He certainly did not produce anything on the field.

And frankly, if the other players on the team need Shep running around screaming on the sidelines and patting them on the back as they come off the field in order to try their hardest and play their best, then we have even bigger issues than it appears.

londonblue

Shep has played hard, played hurt and played with heart across his career with us. He has been a good and loyal servant. He is not a legend but he deserves more respect than some are showing him. I wish him only the best in the future.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

Doc16LT56

Quote from: londonblue on January 10, 2024, 11:48:56 AMShep has played hard, played hurt and played with heart across his career with us. He has been a good and loyal servant. He is not a legend but he deserves more respect than some are showing him. I wish him only the best in the future.
He was one of the best compensated and least reliable players during one of the franchise's lowest eras of its history. Can we please stop talking about Shep like he's Amani Toomer. Everyone who puts on shoulder pads and a helmet deserves respect. They are not, however, entitled to a roster spot. Please let's not pretend the discussion is about anything other than that.

MightyGiants

https://x.com/TalkinGiants/status/1744861009255211375?s=20

I heard Shep retired.  I wouldn't be surprised if he goes into broadcasting or maybe coaching.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: londonblue on January 10, 2024, 11:48:56 AMShep has played hard, played hurt and played with heart across his career with us. He has been a good and loyal servant. He is not a legend but he deserves more respect than some are showing him. I wish him only the best in the future.

Not sure to whom you are referring, but to speak for myself and for clarity's sake, this is what I posted earlier in this thread:

"I have nothing against Shepard. He himself has done nothing wrong. He's a high effort guy who has been a great teammate and has played fearlessly and unselfishly.

My issue is with the team and the way it gets emotional about its own players and often engages in profligate behavior as a result of that."

I have recognized in a laudatory manner who Shep is as a player and a person. I would say the above is pretty respectful. That doesn't mean I have to think he should have been given a roster spot this year nor does it mean I need to pretend he was good on the field this year when we know he wasn't.

I don't think anyone has shown this player disrespect. The issues are with the overly sentimental and often profligate way the team behaves at times with certain personnel. Citing that issue is not dissing Shepard in any way.