News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants couldn't even lose right- pushed their draft slot down to 6

Started by MightyGiants, January 07, 2024, 07:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosehill Jimmy

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on January 08, 2024, 01:59:56 AMYou would have liked the Giants to lose so we could have moved up one draft spot to number 5 ?

No.  Unlike some I never root for the Giants to lose.  What I meant was had Dallas lost and we denied Philly the NFC East title, that would have made the win extra sweet
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

GordonGekko80

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 08, 2024, 09:54:43 AMCurrently, the consensus is there are 3 top tier QBs.  So the Giants are not going to have a shot at one of the top QBs.

Realistically, from the top 6 teams in the draft, there's only NE and WSH who will want to draft a QB.

Unless another team moves up... but that's a tough bet to take.

1. Chicago Bears (via Carolina Panthers)
2. Washington Commanders
3. New England Patriots
4. Arizona Cardinals
5. Los Angeles Chargers
6. New York Giants
7. Tennessee Titans
8. Atlanta Falcons
9. Chicago Bears
10. New York Jets
11. Minnesota Vikings
12. Denver Broncos
13. Las Vegas Raiders
14. New Orleans Saints
15. Indianapolis Colts
16. Seattle Seahawks
17. Jacksonville Jaguars
18. Cincinnati Bengals

I definitely expect Denver to move up in the draft.

DaveBrown74

If we are to take Schoen at face value, this comment might suggest they have no intention of pursuing a QB in this draft and that they intend to continue to build the franchise's future around Daniel Jones.

I really hope that's not true.

https://twitter.com/TheGiantsWire/status/1744355405117972581

AZGiantFan

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 07, 2024, 07:46:23 PMExactly,  all this hand wringing over 1 draft slot lost to a team that isnt looking for a QB. 

If they lost they stay at 5.

And there are those that will have you believe that the Eagles lost to the Giants on purpose to hurt the draft slot.  They let AJ Brown play and get injured just to get the Giants to move back that spot and probably ended any chance of making a serious run in the playoffs. 

They really got us this time.

I'm hoping that the "momentum" from this game leads to first round elimination for the Eagles.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 08, 2024, 10:32:05 AMIf we are to take Schoen at face value, this comment might suggest they have no intention of pursuing a QB in this draft and that they intend to continue to build the franchise's future around Daniel Jones.

I wouldn't take it at face value. Jones is on the team due to his contract and irrespective of his performance. To say anything other is an attack on him and previewing their plan going into the draft.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on January 08, 2024, 10:39:11 AMI wouldn't take it at face value. Jones is on the team due to his contract and irrespective of his performance. To say anything other is an attack on him and previewing their plan going into the draft.

Agreed, although the odds of them drafting a top QB have clearly dropped in recent weeks with some of these wins.

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 08, 2024, 10:40:15 AMAgreed, although the odds of them drafting a top QB have clearly dropped in recent weeks with some of these wins.

The miracle DeVito streak (really the defense playing well during that time) cratered their chances. Can't fault guys for playing hard, just wish New England didn't throw the game versus the Giants or the insane Arizona comeback hadn't occurred.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 08, 2024, 10:32:05 AMIf we are to take Schoen at face value, this comment might suggest they have no intention of pursuing a QB in this draft and that they intend to continue to build the franchise's future around Daniel Jones.

Schoen also talked about how Jones may not be ready to start the season, so they will need a contingency plan.  Taken at face value (that may be ill-advised considering the value of misinformation for GMs), it suggests the Giants will be adding another veteran QB rather than drafting a QB.

Of course a non-first-round QB could be drafted.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Gmo11

Quote from: GordonGekko80 on January 08, 2024, 10:28:39 AMRealistically, from the top 6 teams in the draft, there's only NE and WSH who will want to draft a QB.

Unless another team moves up... but that's a tough bet to take.

1. Chicago Bears (via Carolina Panthers)
2. Washington Commanders
3. New England Patriots
4. Arizona Cardinals
5. Los Angeles Chargers
6. New York Giants
7. Tennessee Titans
8. Atlanta Falcons
9. Chicago Bears
10. New York Jets
11. Minnesota Vikings
12. Denver Broncos
13. Las Vegas Raiders
14. New Orleans Saints
15. Indianapolis Colts
16. Seattle Seahawks
17. Jacksonville Jaguars
18. Cincinnati Bengals

I definitely expect Denver to move up in the draft.

The problem is the Chargers.  Not that they are going to take a QB but that everybody in the league knows they won't and the Giants will.  So a team like the Falcons if they can't get up to #1 or #2 they'll just go there to get ahead of the Giants which would be significantly less expensive than going to the top.  Giants are in a bit of trouble as far as getting in position to draft one of those big 3 QBs.  They may have to try and trade with the Chargers themselves if Daniels makes it to 5.

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 08, 2024, 10:47:04 AM@DaveBrown74 and @H-Town G-Fan

Mike is really dialed in to the Giants

https://x.com/TheDougRush/status/1744062869539377394?s=20

I think it all tracks. There is no young, future QB on the roster right now. Even if there was (or one gets added in the draft), Jones would still be the presumptive starter in 2024. Schoen is smart enough not to (publicly or privately) undermine Jones, who is still well-respected and Mara's golden child. Until they add someone who projects to be the future, the public "plan" is Daniel Jones.

uconnjack8

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on January 08, 2024, 10:52:51 AMI think it all tracks. There is no young, future QB on the roster right now. Even if there was (or one gets added in the draft), Jones would still be the presumptive starter in 2024. Schoen is smart enough not to (publicly or privately) undermine Jones, who is still well-respected and Mara's golden child. Until they add someone who projects to be the future, the public "plan" is Daniel Jones.

Well that and I would think he wouldn't want to show everyone his hand for the draft in January.  I seem to remember people around here feeling that was one of Gettleman's many faults.

babywhales

Even if they trade up to the 1 pick for a QB; if healthy, jones most likely will be the week 1 starter. The comment by Schoen that Jones will be the week 1 starter means very little in the big picture and is hardly support for Jones nor does it imply jones will see the end of next season or does it mean he will be with the Giants for 2025/26 season.

Olu, Alt, Harrison, Nabers, plus WIlliams and Maye in the draft and the Giants with the 6 pick, they are certain to get a quality player who if developed will greatly improve the team
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S