News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

I think the 6th Pick is possibly the most awkward position

Started by killarich, January 08, 2024, 02:23:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you want Giants to do with #6 pick ?

Take a QB no matter what, even if it is a reach at that point
1 (4.8%)
Since we are missing out on the best QBs and Harrison, get next best WR ... we need a WR1
2 (9.5%)
BPA
8 (38.1%)
Trade the farm including next year #1 to get a QB
5 (23.8%)
Trade back and rack up picks
5 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

killarich

the Giants could have been locked into

I think we will miss out on the top 3 QBs and that is a bummer

I honestly dont know what I want, I want a QB but I also do NOT want to give up the farm including next years #1 to move up this draft

IF only IF we dont get a QB ...... I think we need to draft a WR1 if that dude after Harrison is available.

I think we are screwed QB wise this upcoming season. Jones coming off a torn ACL when his biggest strength is his legs is not a good position to be in.

What do you guys want to happen ?

GordonGekko80

Yesterday's win didn't change the cards a whole lot from a Draft perspective, whether you pick 5th or 6th doesn't change massively.

If you want to pick the best QB in the draft it's going to cost you, except if you own the first two picks, which was clear for weeks that this wasn't the case.

londonblue

I do not see us giving up future picks for a QB trade up with DJ under his current contract as frustrating as many of us will find that.

Given this assumption I see 6 as a BPA irrespective of position type slot, with a possibility to trade back slightly. Particularly as we have needs pretty much everywhere.

The odds are given current thoughts on the draft (which can and will shift) that QB1,2 (maybe 3) are gone as is WR1, OT1 and maybe Edge1 (depending on QB3).

So if BPA is TE1, DT1, CB1 not QB leftovers or WR2, OT2 take them. If BPA is an OT or Edge take them and treat past picks as sunk costs. If you think you can get the guy you want at a small trade back then do that.

Free agency (for coaches and players) should be where we try to shore up OL and the draft should be where we try to add playmakers on both sides of the ball. We still have a roster talent deficit far beyond QB.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

DaveBrown74

It's just hard to answer this as a fan because there are many variables I don't know.

I voted to move up, but that obviously presumes that (1) such a move is actually possible, and (2) that our front office believes whichever QB they are moving up for has a strong chance of being elite. Otherwise no thanks. The cost is too high to just take a gamble if they don't have a strong view. Plus unless the Bears want to keep Fields, it won't even be possible to do a trade anyway, even if we're willing to pay up.

Failing the above, I'd be "open for business" to trade down, and there is plenty of logic to doing that given all of our needs. However, I feel like this team lacks impact players, especially on offense. There is a real premium on top notch receivers, and getting one on a rookie deal is gold in today's NFL. So I could definitely see drafting someone like Nabers or Odunze.

Do I want to use our third top 7 overall pick in four years to take yet another offensive tackle? Not especially, but I guess I'm not closed to it if that's who we deem the beast player on the board to be. They could then take a guard somewhere in the middle of the draft (as well as trying Neal inside) and maybe that's enough for this line to finally turn the corner and be serviceable or better.

If we're not in love with any of the prospects available to us at 6th, then we should be open to trading down IMO. Being totally closed to that no matter what seems foolish. But base case is I think we should try to draft a high impact player there, presumably on offense but really BPA. And there's still a chance that could be a QB.

MightyGiants

The Giants are an under-talented team.   Thanks to meaningless wins (I predicted that would happen back in October, but it doesn't make it any less painful), they pick 6th, which doesn't put them in a position to grab an elite QB prospect.   With the talent deficit it seems ill-advised to "trade the farm"

The Jags, the Chargers (who pick before us), and the Bengals are all on their coaches watching the playoffs along with the Giants, so an elite QB prospect doesn't magically make a contender (despite notable exceptions).

The Giants need to be a strong talented team and hope for some sort of miracle in terms of the QB position.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 08, 2024, 09:02:39 AMThe Giants are an under-talented team.   Thanks to meaningless wins (I predicted that would happen back in October, but it doesn't make it any less painful), they pick 6th, which doesn't put them in a position to grab an elite QB prospect.   With the talent deficit it seems ill-advised to "trade the farm"

The Jags, the Chargers (who pick before us), and the Bengals are all on their coaches watching the playoffs along with the Giants, so an elite QB prospect doesn't magically make a contender (despite notable exceptions).

The Giants need to be a strong talented team and hope for some sort of miracle in terms of the QB position.

The Giants were second to last (behind Carolina) in "estimated wins" per the FO legacy guys (see below):

https://www.ftnfantasy.com/nfl/tools/team-total-dvoa

I could not find a precise definition of this, although I assume it's computed by a model that does exactly what it sounds like: estimates the number of expected wins you'd have if you played the exact season out many times. The Giants had 3.7 "estimated wins" but 6 real wins. In other words, we're picking lower than we probably deserve to be if we're going off the true caliber of our team. A handful of (if not most) of our wins were pretty lucky or, at least, extremely close.

To me, 6-11 makes me feel no better than 3-14 or 4-13. Some fans may disagree, and I respect that, but to me it's a terrible season either way. To not get a top three or four pick out of this year, particularly given where we are from a QB point of view, is painful.

Brooklyn Dave

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 08, 2024, 09:02:39 AMThe Giants are an under-talented team.  Thanks to meaningless wins (I predicted that would happen back in October, but it doesn't make it any less painful), they pick 6th, which doesn't put them in a position to grab an elite QB prospect.  With the talent deficit it seems ill-advised to "trade the farm"

If we are looking for an edge rusher, Latu, Chip Robinson, Verse and Turner should be around at 6

If we looking at  a receiver, Odunze, Nabers, Coleman and Boweres should be around , although I am not sure about Boweres as the Chargers could grab him.

Alt should be there at 6

Totally agree in not trading the farm to move up in the draft . My evidence is the Panthers and Bryce Young 

Slugsy-Narrows

If there is a run on QBs for the top 4 teams and 2-3 QBs are picked at 6 we are looking at still getting a top 3 pick potentially cause we know not all of those QBs will be home runs.  1 or more will not live up to potential.

How many #1 QBs are busts.  Hence tanking or winning irrelevant games as some people like to say is a joke.  You play to win PERIOD!  Now it's time to put your scouting team to work.

How is it the Ravens have been a top tier organization for ages now?  They draft and sign FA well.  They may not have a ton of SB trophies in the cabinet but they put together competitive teams and have winning records when healthy.

That is the level we need to get to!  Losing games to be lower in the draft order to get better players doesn't = better team or the Lions would have been better for the last 20 years!

I didn't vote cause my vote is let JS do what JS will do!

JS gets players!  Dabs plays who he gets!

We root for them to win.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on January 08, 2024, 09:19:31 AMIf we are looking for an edge rusher, Latu, Chip Robinson, Verse and Turner should be around at 6

If we looking at  a receiver, Odunze, Nabers, Coleman and Boweres should be around , although I am not sure about Boweres as the Chargers could grab him.

Alt should be there at 6

Totally agree in not trading the farm to move up in the draft . My evidence is the Panthers and Bryce Young 

Bryce Young is an excellent example :ok:
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

sooners56

I believe Williams and Maye will be elite franchise QBs, so if the Giants can get either by moving up/staying put, they need to draft them. If the QBs are all gone by 6 and a trade up was not possible, select the best WR at 6. That WR could be Nabors or Odunze. Either one should help the offense tremendously. I don't think the Giants need to invest another high pick on the Oline and I don't believe a defensive player will be rated higher than the WRs.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

Ed Vette

Quote from: killarich on January 08, 2024, 02:23:02 AMthe Giants could have been locked into

I think we will miss out on the top 3 QBs and that is a bummer

Mayfield, Darnold and Rosen...
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 08, 2024, 09:12:00 AMThe Giants were second to last (behind Carolina) in "estimated wins" per the FO legacy guys (see below):

https://www.ftnfantasy.com/nfl/tools/team-total-dvoa

I could not find a precise definition of this, although I assume it's computed by a model that does exactly what it sounds like: estimates the number of expected wins you'd have if you played the exact season out many times. The Giants had 3.7 "estimated wins" but 6 real wins. In other words, we're picking lower than we probably deserve to be if we're going off the true caliber of our team. A handful of (if not most) of our wins were pretty lucky or, at least, extremely close.

To me, 6-11 makes me feel no better than 3-14 or 4-13. Some fans may disagree, and I respect that, but to me it's a terrible season either way. To not get a top three or four pick out of this year, particularly given where we are from a QB point of view, is painful.

I agree, the team's talent level doesn't match their 6-11 record.  They should be picking in the top three if talent was the decider.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

No other option, so here is my answer:  Lets wait for the draft season to be at least started before we start projecting who will be around and who will not.

zephirus

There's still too many outstanding questions to understand the direction the Giants should take at #6.  What are the Bears doing with Justin Fields?  Who is taking over in Foxboro (if not Belichick) and what is the QB situation like after free agency? 

I've asserted for some time that it's unlikely the Giants go QB in the draft and I think the finally 5-6 games landed in a way that will only reinforce that ideology within the front office.  There's too much money tied up in Daniel Jones with no easy "out" until next year.  The Giants showed some scrap with backup qbs, realistically could have (and should have) beaten both the Jets, Bills and Rams.  We had a host of injuries.  I think Schoen and the front office will view things through the light of "lost season" moreso than "lost team".  They'll look to augment the existing team and shore up weak areas and roll the dice with Jones again. 

With the Giants at 6, I think you let the draft come to you and see what happens.  Getting additional draft capital by trading down should always be a priority, especially if you can land first round picks in subsequent years.  BPA seems the order of the day.

Fletch

Wait are we still entertaining jones being here as the starting QB next season?????

:boooo:  ~X(

My friend a Giants fan himself really likes Jones and want him back.

This must be some kind of Stockholm syndrome. I cannot think on any NY Sports Franchise player -- in ANY SPORT -- that had such a huge following for what should be considered poor/mediocre at best play.