News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants Fire ST Coordinator and OL Coach

Started by killarich, January 08, 2024, 08:24:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uconnjack8

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 08, 2024, 11:11:53 AMI thought that Bobby got the job via friendship, but this is the first I heard that their friendship means BJ was untouchable. 

It was mentioned in a thread that it was his best friend and people questioned whether or not Daboll would fire him.  It struck me given the amount of time and effort these guys put in to being HCs that they would allow some doing a sub par job to stay on the staff when their own job is in question.  Made no sense.  Especially given early in my career I had to demote my best friend and I had far less invested than Daboll. Guess I find some of the conspiracy type theories unwarranted.

MightyGiants

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on January 08, 2024, 11:14:38 AMFirst time coach bringing along people he knows and trusts (i.e. professional "friends") isn't out of the question to me (especially when it wasn't all he did, hiring others from foreign orgs like Wink and Kafka). But holding on to those guys when they're out of their depth would be a bad indicator. Johnson is gone in a move that needed to be made given the complete failure of the line to develop any young players in 2 years. So Daboll's "friendship" doesn't defy performance, apparently.

I have to think Daboll knew he had no choice but to fire Bobby Johnson.  The line's historically bad performance this year along with the poor drafting of (O-line coaches are heavily involved in draft evaluation) development of the O-linemen left only a single option.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kartanoman

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Painter

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 08, 2024, 11:18:05 AMI have to think Daboll knew he had no choice but to fire Bobby Johnson.  The line's historically bad performance this year along with the poor drafting of (O-line coaches are heavily involved in draft evaluation) development of the O-linemen left only a single option.

I agree that Daboll had no real choice but to part ways with Bobby Johnson and, perhaps, with McGaughey also. I would however be less finger-pointy in regard to Johnson's culpability re the drafting of Olinemen given the team's more than a decade-long puny performance in that regard.

Cheers!

Gmo11

Whoever the best available OL coach is the Giants need to do whatever it takes to get that guy.  Talk to former OL who can add input as to who the best OLs are right now and start poaching those staffs.  Something has to be done.  There's no reason that Will Hernandez and Feliciano can go elsewhere and look like absolute studs but here they couldn't figure out a basic DL stunt.  There's no reason a prospect the level of Evan Neal should look like a damn turnstile out there.  To me this team is closer than we might think provided that OL gets coached up properly and they get a real QB.  Easier said than done but those are the things that need to get done immediately if not sooner.

Puffy

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 08, 2024, 08:39:55 AMThe Giants need to set the market for O-line coach pay.  The biggest thing the Giants can do in terms of improvement is acquire a top-notch offensive line coach.

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes.  From McAdoo to Schumer to Judge to Daboll, they have all failed at this.  Fix it

MightyGiants

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 08, 2024, 08:58:57 AMhttps://x.com/geoffschwartz/status/1744357099616825358?s=20

PFF has the Falcons as the 6th best offense (down from 5) ahead of week 18

I think that's pretty impressive from this group

LT Jake Matthews
LG Matthew Bergeron
C Drew Dalman
RG Chris Lindstrom
RT Kaleb McGary
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Is the assumption that Ledford would be allowed to leave Atlanta because the HC was fired?  If he is under contract, are the Giants even allowed to talk to him if its not a promotion?

MightyGiants

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 08, 2024, 12:34:35 PMIs the assumption that Ledford would be allowed to leave Atlanta because the HC was fired?  If he is under contract, are the Giants even allowed to talk to him if its not a promotion?

I can't completely answer the questions other than how things usually work.

1-  It's possible Ledford's contract has expired, but I suspect that isn't the case

2-  Teams traditionally allow the coaches who worked under a fired head coach to interview for same level positions as teams allow the new HC to hire their own coaches, so there is no promise of a job next season

3-  The Giants would need to ask permission (if he is still under contract).  The Falcons would likely grant permission, but it's always possible they recognize what they have and refuse the request
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Giant Obsession

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 08, 2024, 08:46:30 AMTim,

Considering how many players came from Buffalo and talked about how they already knew the system, how much of an impact is realistic in terms of replacing Kafka?  It seems to me this is essentially Kafka running Daboll's offense

Bingo!!!

And since we as fans have NO idea how much or input or control our HC has on this (dare I say HIS) offense how can we separate Dabs from Kafka.

To me, they can not be separated.  And c'mon, if you are HC of the NY Football Giants with your forte being offense don't you think what we are seeing on the field is Daboll's offense regarding playcalling and design.  Would you pass that aspect off to a subordinate ???

Wink and Kafka are very safe if they want to stay.  I am betting Coach Sparky is working on a very short leash starting next season.  And if Coach Sparky values his job we had better see a whole lot of starters and cohesion starting with Preseason Game #1.  We had better hit Game 1 of 2024 looking like a well oiled machine cuz 1 and 6 to start the season will not be acceptable.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

LennG

If Kafka goes and I sure hope so AND, the Giants wanted to talk to the Bills 'temporary OC", they would need t he Bills permission as they are in the playoffs, at least that is my understanding.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

https://x.com/DDuggan21/status/1744407160149151962?s=20

Dan Duggan
@DDuggan21
The Giants' OL coach search has to start with finding out how much it would take to lure Mike Munchak.

Another early name to keep in mind: Dave DeGuglielmo. He's already done two stints with the Giants (assistant OL 2004-08/OL coach second half of 2020). Worked with Daboll in Miami and New England.
12:14 PM · Jan 8, 2024
·
 Views
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Is Munchak still coaching?  If they can get him it seems like a bunt.

Woody

My reaction to firings

DAH ! At the very least.    Need new conditioning coach as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Woody

Wink resigned today

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk