News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Lesson Learned

Started by Philosophers, January 20, 2024, 07:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

londonblue

FWIW I 100% agree with Trench. My own view is 7 captains is the upper limit on a 53 man roster enabling:

O: 3 with 1 QB (ideally QB1 or respected veteran QB2), 1 OL and a 1 skill player
D: 3 with 1 DL, 1 LB (ideally the Mike) and 1 DB
ST: 1 ideally a gung-ho cover teams guy

Captains should mainly be respected veterans. It should be earned.

Players should be asked to give their views to their position coaches and position coaches should together nominate a shortlist to the leadership group of HC, DC, OC (STC effectively chooses his guy) for the final choice. The HC has a veto that should rarely if ever be used.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

TDToomer

You can't just reverse decades of policy of having coaches naming the captains instead of the players just because you don't like it.  ~X(

But we are all in agreement that 10 captains (18.87% of the 53 man roster) is absurd. I did a little research and from 2007 - 2016 3 teams had 5, The 2008, 2013 & 2014 teams. The rest had 3. Sometime after 2017 it increased to the current 10. Was it was a Gettleman thing or Schoen?
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Doc16LT56

I agree having all these captains is ridiculous. The Giants have struggled with a lack of leadership for years. Remember the year Jerry Reese drafted only team captains in order to address the issue? Now they're making everyone and their brother a captain to try to manufacture leadership. These are not smart ways to go about developing leadership. Shortcuts and gimmicks don't work.

Here's a recent tweet from Darius Slayton defending Daniel Jones from being compared to Pat Mahomes.

https://twitter.com/Young_Slay2/status/1749536227357843503?t=OT3Hm-djTyXpoBQjDu5WMA&s=19

Slayton has good intentions with his tweet but his choice of words is revealing. He's offering excuses to justify poor play. The entire Giants organization has been infected with this disease of excuse making for years and it starts at the top. This is not how you learn how to compete and win.

What Slayton and others should be saying is: Pat Mahomes is the gold standard. We, as a team, understand we aren't good enough and that it's up to the people in this room to get better and build a foundation that will allow us to compete with guys like Mahomes. We aren't satisfied with where we are today. It isn't good enough. We have our work cut out for us, but I believe we're up for the challenge.

Doc16LT56

Quote from: TDToomer on January 23, 2024, 02:25:41 PMYou can't just reverse decades of policy of having coaches naming the captains instead of the players just because you don't like it.  ~X(

But we are all in agreement that 10 captains (18.87% of the 53 man roster) is absurd. I did a little research and from 2007 - 2016 3 teams had 5, The 2008, 2013 & 2014 teams. The rest had 3. Sometime after 2017 it increased to the current 10. Was it was a Gettleman thing or Schoen?
There is no decades of policy. The process for selecting team captains is decided by the head coach each year.