News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Red Flags on new OL Coach?

Started by ozzie, January 23, 2024, 08:23:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozzie

Article from Giantswire...
https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2024/01/23/new-york-giants-carmen-bricillo-comes-with-unusual-number-red-flags/
Apparently he is tough on his players. But as stated in the last paragraph, He is results oriented, which is exactly what the Giants need!
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

MightyGiants

I heard the Podcast this story is based on.  In terms of who trained him and the results, he seems like a solid hire.   On the other hand, good O-line coaches are like gold, so I have to wonder why Pierce and the Raiders let him walk.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

ozzie

I agree, the hire seems solid and I am all for it. I'm guessing the Raiders let him go only because they were in a state of flux, not yet naming AP as the full time HC and I guess maybe due to that Las Vegas couldn't block him from taking interviews?
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

DaveBrown74

Quote from: ozzie on January 23, 2024, 08:28:16 AMI agree, the hire seems solid and I am all for it. I'm guessing the Raiders let him go only because they were in a state of flux, not yet naming AP as the full time HC and I guess maybe due to that Las Vegas couldn't block him from taking interviews?

Probably a good guess. AP may have someone he's closer to that he wants in that role. These new coaches generally like to put in people they're comfortable with. It may prove to have been a mistake on his part.

It's also possible that Bricillo was only there because of his relationship with McDaniels and he himself prefers working with head coaches he knows. So with McDaniels out of a job, Daboll now makes sense to him.

DaveBrown74

I would further add that sometimes it can be wise to take a job where the bar is very low. In some situations, if you just deliver mediocre results, you'll look like a genius and a hero. Obviously that honeymoon period won't last forever, as once results are mediocre, people will then want better results than that, but to not have the pressure of delivering excellence from day one or having to fill legendary shoes (see the Alabama head coaching job) can make a transition much easier. Especially if the Giants have told him they're committed to adding better talent to the unit.

Section 101 Steve

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on January 23, 2024, 08:47:20 AMI would further add that sometimes it can be wise to take a job where the bar is very low. In some situations, if you just deliver mediocre results, you'll look like a genius and a hero. Obviously that honeymoon period won't last forever, as once results are mediocre, people will then want better results than that, but to not have the pressure of delivering excellence from day one or having to fill legendary shoes (see the Alabama head coaching job) can make a transition much easier. Especially if the Giants have told him they're committed to adding better talent to the unit.

The bar is very low fits our OL to a T. If he can resuscitate Neal only never mind the rest he'll be worth his weight in gold.
sm

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 23, 2024, 08:26:04 AMgood O-line coaches are like gold, so I have to wonder why Pierce and the Raiders let him walk.
Rich:  In most cases it would be tough to explain... but in this case...

Look at it from another angle... why was Bricillo "exiled" to the "vast wasteland" known as the Raiders?

Tough as nails, from right outside Pittsburgh, doesn't take crap, wants his OL to treat the d-line like he treats them, you love him or hate him and it doesn't matter which to him. "Do-exactly what-I-tell-you-or-you-sit." No excuses accepted. Great coach.

And this is where the remark the other day about Schmitz eventually being a captain comes into play...

Schmitz played in college for the same type of coach, so he should be able to "translate" Bricillo for the rest of the OL (especially those who never encountered the type of "maelstrom" Bricillo brings to work with him each day). Can't say more but it's boom or bust, and having a guy like Schmitz to explain Bricillo's style to his teammates will aid in making the hire more likely to work for the Giants. I'm very optimistic.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

TDToomer

Red flag because he points finger and holds his lineman accountable? Sign me up. I like he even more now.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

MightyGiants

Quote from: TDToomer on January 23, 2024, 09:28:57 AMRed flag because he points finger and holds his lineman accountable? Sign me up. I like he even more now.

The players don't love him, doesn't exactly equate to the traits you suggested
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Sem

A different organization, different head coach, and different players....let's just wait and see.

londonblue

Ranaan's take on this was all 'sources' with unattributed quotes and a catch all 'clear out ex Patriots' spin.

To balance it watch Patti Traina's video with people who cover the Raiders day in day out and the quotes they give from actual Raiders players who played for Bricillo. It gives a totally different view.

Which approach do you give more credence to, the unattributed quotes from unnamed individuals or the on the record alternative?

Beware beat writers looking to gain clicks by throwing low grade gasoline on the Daboll dumpster fire IMO.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

Rosehill Jimmy

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 23, 2024, 09:42:14 AMThe players don't love him, doesn't exactly equate to the traits you suggested

I played OL throughout high school and college. Can't say I ever had an Oline coach I loved
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

MightyGiants

Quote from: londonblue on January 23, 2024, 01:11:49 PMRanaan's take on this was all 'sources' with unattributed quotes and a catch all 'clear out ex Patriots' spin.

To balance it watch Patti Traina's video with people who cover the Raiders day in day out and the quotes they give from actual Raiders players who played for Bricillo. It gives a totally different view.

Which approach do you give more credence to, the unattributed quotes from unnamed individuals or the on the record alternative?

Beware beat writers looking to gain clicks by throwing low grade gasoline on the Daboll dumpster fire IMO.

Neil,

I listened/read both.  I don't think they are incompatible.  Our new coach has been objectively successful, and some players like him.  That doesn't preclude the possibility that he rubs other players the wrong way. 

As I mentioned earlier, my biggest concern is the Raiders let him go.  Look at how Atlanta is guarding their quality offensive line coach even though they haven't hired a new head coach.

That all said, I am still hopeful about our new hire.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

londonblue

I didn't say they were automatically incompatible Mighty just that faced with a choice of information from Raiders experts with actual player quotes from players who start for them or unidentified and unattributed sources then IMO the latter should be treated with extreme caution as a very low quality information source unless and until it can be corroborated with actual, on the record, first hand information. Until then it is just gossip, likely from people with an axe to grind.

In the internet age approaching what we read with critical thinking and close attention to the quality of the information sources is vital. I listened to both podcasts. One was informative. The other speculative.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

Stringer Bell

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 23, 2024, 09:42:14 AMThe players don't love him, doesn't exactly equate to the traits you suggested

No attributed players quoted? Sounds like click-bait to me.