News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Looking at the Giants' charts - what are the biggest holes?

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, March 21, 2024, 10:34:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

I pulled up defensive and offensive charts to see if there are glaring holes that need to still be addressed via FA, or the draft

IMOFWIW, we should re-sign WR Isaiah Hodgins, and if there are no takers, offer Adoree' Jackson 1-yr minimum vet contract. Hopefully, Aaron Robinson is 100% healthy and has been using all this time off to get in peak shape. At one time, he had big potential. We traded up in the 3rd (leap frogging the Eagles) that made the Eagles' FO groan in disgust, as he was their target. But who knows  :-??

Anyway, looking at the chart might offer insight as to what the Giants still need to do and what position should be a priority on draft day

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

Going back to Parcell's want, need must have buckets

Must Have:

CB starting caliber or high backup caliber

Need

3 tech DT
RB

Want

number one WR
starting QB
O-line
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

ozzie

I would still like to see something more on the right side of the O-line. Eluemunor is an upgrade, but I'm not counting on Neal for anything just yet. Would also like to see an upgrade at DT and in the CB spot.
I'm also not sold on our TE position, even if Waller returns.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

PSUBeirut

Seeing so much chatter about CB need and I must admit I did not track the CB position last year very well.  I thought Tre Hawkins had looked really promising paired with Banks- did he fall off as the year went on, get injured, or other?  I just remember early in the year the talk was that he looked even better than Banks.

From the chart we definitely need another space-eating DT and a #1 WR- preferably someone with some height it seems.  And of course, the G positions can always use another young body and a scatback type RB would likely be another good add.

Jclayton92

Vet CB 1
Bruising RB
DT
Wr #1
Safety
Swing tackle
Another Dlineman

Didn't we let Basham walk?

If we dont sign a RB, please cut Brightwell and give Corbin a chance.

Singletary, Corbin, and Gray are all very similar in they are 1 cut backs.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: ozzie on March 21, 2024, 11:03:25 AMI would still like to see something more on the right side of the O-line. Eluemunor is an upgrade, but I'm not counting on Neal for anything just yet. Would also like to see an upgrade at DT and in the CB spot.
I'm also not sold on our TE position, even if Waller returns.

Pretty much my thoughts after looking at our depth. We could really use a good CB and a replacement for Leo to give us a crazy defensive line

The two TEs that we got, are superb at helping out the o-line and keeping our QB upright, but not much else. If Waller retires, we could sure use a second pass-catching TE

Personally, I'd like us to get an oversized RB to pair with Singletary and Grey...maybe a Trey Benson or Braelon Allen

Stringer Bell

Must have

#1 WR
Starting boundary CB

Need
RT
DT

Want
RB
Receiving TE
FS

Jolly Blue Giant

I just noticed that the chart is a day late as it doesn't include Darnay Holmes...sorry bout that  :suspious:

killarich

I want a WR1 aka drafting one at #6 not hoping second round draft pick becomes one

Obviously unless one of the top 3 QBs drop to us NOT named McCarthy

Also want a huge run stuffing DT next to Dexter

As well as a starting CB opposite Banks.... still hoping we sign one

So my needs/wants are WR1->DT->CB2

QB is the obvious but only depends on who is at 6....... And I don't agree with giving up the farm for a 50/50 shot or drafting McCarthy

killarich

Quote from: PSUBeirut on March 21, 2024, 11:07:03 AMSeeing so much chatter about CB need and I must admit I did not track the CB position last year very well.  I thought Tre Hawkins had looked really promising paired with Banks- did he fall off as the year went on, get injured, or other?  I just remember early in the year the talk was that he looked even better than Banks.

From the chart we definitely need another space-eating DT and a #1 WR- preferably someone with some height it seems.  And of course, the G positions can always use another young body and a scatback type RB would likely be another good add.

Yea I remember Hawkins being all the talk in the offseason... even got the starting spot which moved Adoree to Slot (Which was not a good results IMO )

But he eventually lost his starting spot and playing time dramatically.. was it due to performance or an injury I don't remember

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: killarich on March 21, 2024, 11:53:18 AMYea I remember Hawkins being all the talk in the offseason... even got the starting spot which moved Adoree to Slot (Which was not a good results IMO )

But he eventually lost his starting spot and playing time dramatically.. was it due to performance or an injury I don't remember

I think what happened with Hawkins, was offenses thought little of the rookie CB that they assumed they could throw his way and the WR would win. But he showed he could defend. After several games, savvy offensive coordinators found weaknesses in his game and exploited them. Hawkins is a good kid with a great attitude and talented. He found out that the NFL was quicker all around and that offenses key on any shortcoming they find on him. Hopefully, he's been studying tape and getting mentally prepared this off-season so that he continues to improve his game. I think in another year of seasoning, he's going to be very good. It's not only difficult to make the jump to the NFL, but CB is one of the harder positions to become skilled at. I have faith he will improve with experience

PSUBeirut

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on March 21, 2024, 12:10:56 PMI think what happened with Hawkins, was offenses thought little of the rookie CB that they assumed they could throw his way and the WR would win. But he showed he could defend. After several games, savvy offensive coordinators found weaknesses in his game and exploited them. Hawkins is a good kid with a great attitude and talented. He found out that the NFL was quicker all around and that offenses key on any shortcoming they find on him. Hopefully, he's been studying tape and getting mentally prepared this off-season so that he continues to improve his game. I think in another year of seasoning, he's going to be very good. It's not only difficult to make the jump to the NFL, but CB is one of the harder positions to become skilled at. I have faith he will improve with experience

So here's my follow-up question for those that have been tracking CB play way better than I have- why is it such a huge need to bring another CB in opposite Banks if we have a promising 2nd year player there?  I'd assume something must have happened with his play to warrant this much concern- I just haven't been tracking it.  Thanks for the help.

President Rick

Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

Stringer Bell

Quote from: PSUBeirut on March 21, 2024, 12:20:12 PMSo here's my follow-up question for those that have been tracking CB play way better than I have- why is it such a huge need to bring another CB in opposite Banks if we have a promising 2nd year player there?  I'd assume something must have happened with his play to warrant this much concern- I just haven't been tracking it.  Thanks for the help.

I think Hawkins has upside but to call him "promising" is bit optimistic, to me. While he looked good in camp, his play fell off pretty dramatically in the regular season. I'm not ready to write him off, but I'm also not ready to count on him as a starter. I'd much prefer a solid vet on a 1- to 2-year deal.