News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

CBS Sports ranks Daniel Jones dead last

Started by MightyGiants, Today at 01:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uconnjack8, katkavage and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on Today at 05:04:27 PMPerhaps nobody. But i wouldn't take take Young over Jones.

Perhaps I'm wrong. But he shouldn't be last.

I think Darnold is likely to start the season in Minny, and Jones is definitely better than Darnold, at least in my eyes.

He may also be better than Brissett. Is he definitely, 100%, decisively better than Brissett? Possibly, but I'm not sure. I'd say probably, but I don't think it's some runaway, obvious thing.

He is very likely better than some of these incoming rookies, but we don't know that for sure yet, nor do we know which ones.

The rest of the QBs on this list, I'm sorry, but I don't see the evidence that Jones is clearly better than them. Could that change this year? Sure it could - these rankings are fluid. But right here, right now, I'm just not sure that that's the case.

katkavage

Realistically and objectively right now he is, being generous, 21 out of 32. Which means a really good year for him only gets him to 15 or 16 while a few currently in front of him drop. That's his ceiling.

Doc16LT56

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on Today at 05:14:33 PMI think Darnold is likely to start the season in Minny, and Jones is definitely better than Darnold, at least in my eyes.

He may also be better than Brissett. Is he definitely, 100%, decisively better than Brissett? Possibly, but I'm not sure. I'd say probably, but I don't think it's some runaway, obvious thing.

He is very likely better than some of these incoming rookies, but we don't know that for sure yet, nor do we know which ones.

The rest of the QBs on this list, I'm sorry, but I don't see the evidence that Jones is clearly better than them. Could that change this year? Sure it could - these rankings are fluid. But right here, right now, I'm just not sure that that's the case.
Good post. Also, I think this is why tiers are better than numerical rankings. A bunch of these guys can be shifted around based on how they played in their last game (which is fair for a power ranking).

If there's a tier for QBs who can't be trusted to run a functional offense against a good defense in a playoff game, half the QBs would fall into that category.  If there's a tier for QBs who can't be trusted to run a functional offense against a solid defense in the regular season, is Daniel Jones in that tier? He's entering year 6 and still has to prove he can be a consistent lower-end starter from one year to the next.

StompYouOT

Brock Purdy at #2 lol.  C'mon now.  This is silly, Jones is no good in my opinion, but how do they put guys who haven't even played an NFL snap yet on this list. 

Let's reevaluate in January.  That said, I was done with Jones on the opening drive against Dallas last season.  He won't be our starter I don't think anyhow.