News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

As I listen to the daily draft chatter, Drake Maye seems to be falling out of

Started by MightyGiants, March 28, 2024, 09:51:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 31, 2024, 10:01:06 AMJosh Allen's CP has been up and down and his style as a gunslinger holds him back some years where he tries to do to get much. JJ and Daniels showed improvement in their college years. It's not improbable at all.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

The most common statistic to determine accuracy is completion percentage. Of course, it does not completely account for accuracy because the simple calculation of completion percentage cannot account for the fact that certain quarterbacks attempt more difficult throws than others.

https://bestballstats.com/2021/04/17/nfl-draft-the-stats-that-correlate-to-quarterback-success/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Drake Maye FULL Pro Day Highlights: Every Throw

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

The challenge I have is evakuating a player being behind a good college OL then gets drafted 3rd and goes to a team with a bad OL.  In college he may have a good completion % but it may be a different story playing behind a bad NFL OL.

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 30, 2024, 07:54:21 AMI think one thing that is forgotten in the Josh Allen comparisons is just how big of an anomaly Josh Allen really was.   Josh Allen was very inaccurate in college despite his big arm (similar to Maye).  Josh did what is really seen over the past decades: an inaccurate college QB improved his accuracy at the next level.   Historically, QBs tend to be less accurate (or the same), and the next level, they don't improve.  By the NFL, their throwing mechanics are essentially ingrained.   

Drafting Maye thinking he will be another Josh Allen is like expecting lightning to strike twice.
Who was Allen's OC when he came into the league?  ;)
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

uconnjack8

Gman329

What scares me about that scouting report on Maye: leaves too many throws on the field, won't pull the trigger. Sounds a lot like DJ.  BUT.....if the Giants have the same read and he's there at 6, it will take some beeeeeg balls to pass on him.

B1GBLUE

the negatives sound an awful lot like daniel jones. so it seems like hes daniel jones who might throw more yards/td's.

idk. idk if i like it.

katkavage

Right now these prospects are getting dissected every way possible by countless scouts and pundits like Simms. As you dissect, you will always find flaws. That's not to say those flaws are not fixable or should warn a team from drafting the prospect. But let's take a deep breath and hope that Schoen and company know what they are doing when they evaluate these prospects. And let's admit none of us know a thing about how to evaluate at the same level. It's easy to blog or post about someone with no consequences. There are big consequences in the decision Schoen makes later this month. I'll go with his evaluation right now, for better or worse. Time will tell whether his decision was a good or bad one.   

Ed Vette

Maybe missed two throws out of 70 passes. Chris Simms was born on third base and thought he hit a triple. Is that a fair contrast?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

T200

Quote from: Gman329 on April 01, 2024, 11:02:14 PMWhat scares me about that scouting report on Maye: leaves too many throws on the field, won't pull the trigger. Sounds a lot like DJ.  BUT.....if the Giants have the same read and he's there at 6, it will take some beeeeeg balls to pass on him.
Keep in mind, these kids are drafted partly on what they've done in college as well as their pro potential. He will learn and get better.

I was all for Jones when he was drafted. We didn't have the line to protect him, nor the coaching continuity. Now he's shot. I don't see him recovering with this organization.

Even if Maye is Jones 2.0 from a talent standpoint, he's not shot. He's a rookie who doesn't know what he doesn't know. He's gonna be fearless and let the ball fly, something Jones can't do. I also am optimistic about the new line additions (coaching and players) because why not.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

uconnjack8

So is the assumption that if Maye is the odd man out of the top 3, then he is potentially the Giants next QB?

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE