News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Buffet VS Woods

Started by MightyGiants, April 19, 2024, 07:53:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Unfortunately, I made more than a few decisions with my portfolio based on Woods, as she was a risky investor in new technology...right in my wheelhouse. Not that I didn't like Buffet's plan of attack, but Buffet tends to invest in stodgy stocks (oil, trains, petroleum, and chemical giants) that sell for over a 100k per share, and me - being inclined to invest in tech (and lower priced stocks) - invested primarily in NASDAQ, trying to catch a ride on an upcoming technology. Bit me right in the ass! Should have rolled it all over into gold after the election to ride out the huge drop. It was around 1700 per oz in '21, and now around 2400 per oz  :(

Glad to see she has somewhat recovered. NASDAQ really crashed hard back in '21...much worse than the big board
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Ed Vette

I started investing in Gold when it was a contrarian play at $180 an ounce. The US Central Bank was selling Gold to keep the price low. There were several mining companies that did well over time but the real money was made in coin. Unfortunately, purchasing and storing gold bars was unattainable. The Highs and Lows of Miners is not a good long term investment.

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/GOLD/barrick-gold/stock-price-history
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

I have a friend (a former boss/mentor) who is really into finance and investing.  A few years back, he was telling me about Woods and suggested I look into her.  This was back when she was considered a legend.  When I did my due diligence, I got a sense that her reputation (which led to huge inflows into her ETFs as well as copycat investing) seemed to be driving her choices to seeming success.  In other words, the sheer number of shares she would purchase (plus the news that she was making the purchase) would push the stock in question higher.   I didn't see that as a sustainable model and I was glad I passed on investing in her ETF (which fell to earth after my decision)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Ed Vette on April 19, 2024, 09:44:34 AMI started investing in Gold when it was a contrarian play at $180 an ounce. The US Central Bank was selling Gold to keep the price low. There were several mining companies that did well over time but the real money was made in coin. Unfortunately, purchasing and storing gold bars was unattainable. The Highs and Lows of Miners is not a good long term investment.

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/GOLD/barrick-gold/stock-price-history

My kid brother did something I thought was crazy, but it turned out to be genius. Here's what he did

He took out a second mortgage on his home and spent the entire proceeds on gold when it was about 600 an oz. Each month he'd sell off enough gold to cover the cost of the mortgage payment (basically, betting the ranch that gold would go higher faster than the interest rate on the mortgage). In less than three years, gold was a little over 1200 an oz., so he sold off enough to pay off the mortgage while still having about a third of the gold still in his pocket. Capitalism at work, lol
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh: