News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Unvaccinated people are "variant factories," infectious diseases expert says

Started by MightyGiants, July 03, 2021, 09:32:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

jimmyz

Vaccination stats by race (Kaiser Family Foundation article; don't blame me):

https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covid-19/issue-brief/latest-data-on-covid-19-vaccinations-race-ethnicity/

Percentage of people (by race) that have received at least 1 dose:
Whites: 40%
Blacks: 34%
Hispanic: 39%
Asian: 62%

Just a month ago the projected numbers across the board were above 50%.  The vaccination rate seems to have slowed down since then.  Just a slow month or an indicator of how many people are reluctant to trust the vaccine? 

Either way, I'd be willing to bet they're not all Fox viewers.
"The best way to get anything done is...ugh...if you hold near and dear to you ugh...then you like to be able to ugh..."

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

jimmyz

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 19, 2021, 05:34:13 PM
I wasn't going to post this but with Jimmy defending the immoral behavior of FOX News, these stats really show how deadly FOX News really is

https://www.mediamatters.org/fox-news/fox-has-undermined-vaccination-efforts-nearly-60-all-vaccination-segments-2-week-period

How am I defending Fox news?  And you use Media Matters as a source? 
"The best way to get anything done is...ugh...if you hold near and dear to you ugh...then you like to be able to ugh..."

MightyGiants

Quote from: jimmyz on July 19, 2021, 05:49:13 PM
How am I defending Fox news?  And you use Media Matters as a source?

Jimmy thank you for standing up and doing the right thing.   I am glad you are joining us in calling out the immoral people at FOX News
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

jimmyz

So while its perfectly ok to blame Fox News, guess who Biden is blaming?  Facebook.  I'm surprised nobody wants to mention the White House 'gently' suggesting Facebook ban people and that if someone is banned on one platform that they should be banned everywhere.  And yes it is in the context of Covid 'misinformation' or 'disinformation' (there seems to be some hubbub about the distinction between these terms)...but the White House hasn't specifically stated that it need be limited to Covid related posts.

Blue4Life

Quote from: jimmyz on July 20, 2021, 05:02:12 PM
So while its perfectly ok to blame Fox News, guess who Biden is blaming?  Facebook.  I'm surprised nobody wants to mention the White House 'gently' suggesting Facebook ban people and that if someone is banned on one platform that they should be banned everywhere.  And yes it is in the context of Covid 'misinformation' or 'disinformation' (there seems to be some hubbub about the distinction between these terms)...but the White House hasn't specifically stated that it need be limited to Covid related posts.
The government cannot limit freedom of speach, expression, etc., private companies can and it's an accepted practice...

The infection rate in the tri-state area doubled, or more in some cases since July 1st. The chances are that the 4th of July celebration, BBQs and other parties did contribute this increase. If you look at the trend chart below, it's hard not to notice similarities to last year's trends:

https://aatishb.com/covidtrends/?region=US&trendline=false&location=Connecticut&location=New+Jersey&location=New+York

The trend does not differentiate between vaccinated/non-vaccinated people getting infected. In either case, I do hope we will not re-live last year's fall/winter.

PS: Everyone in my family has been fully vaccinated, except the grankids...

jimmyz

Quote from: Blue4Life on July 20, 2021, 05:35:14 PM
The government cannot limit freedom of speach, expression, etc., private companies can and it's an accepted practice...

Can they coerce? 

In your catalog of accepted practices do you have such an example of a company granted immunity from legal action for content posted having a list of users sent to them by the whitehouse with a suggestion to delete their content or ban them?  Or are you gonna tell me that a company firing someone for expressing views the company finds objectionable the same thing?

I dont think we're making an apples to apples comparison here.  Do you?

Blue4Life

Quote from: jimmyz on July 20, 2021, 06:50:23 PM
Can they coerce? 

In your catalog of accepted practices do you have such an example of a company granted immunity from legal action for content posted having a list of users sent to them by the whitehouse with a suggestion to delete their content or ban them?  Or are you gonna tell me that a company firing someone for expressing views the company finds objectionable the same thing?

I dont think we're making an apples to apples comparison here.  Do you?
Sorry jimmyz, it's not a subject that should be discussed further on this board...

MightyGiants

Quote from: jimmyz on July 20, 2021, 05:02:12 PM

Jimmy, I have to honestly ask do you actually care about America or Americans?   It appears the ONLY thing you care about is your political agenda and people's lives be damned.   While you admit that the evil people at FOX News are literally killing people with their misinformation-based anti-vax messaging, other than not defending you REFUSE to talk about it and tangentially try to defend FOX by changing the subject or making inappropriate comparisons.

Yes, let us talk about Facebook.  For my job, I posted pro-vaccine messaging.   Facebook is so overrun with evil or misguided (you take your pick) anti-vaxxers that I had to go on the platform every hour to remove the false anti-vaxxer claims that were posted in response to the pro-vaccine message.  So President Biden was correct to call out Facebook's negligence in policing their platform for deadly misinformation.

As for suspending accounts, it seems Jimmy you are far angrier than your Republicans got suspended from Twitter for killing people by spreading FALSE information to keep people from being vaccinated, than you are about the deaths caused by the misinformation these elected officials are posting and the deaths they are causing. 

I have to say from where I sit, it appears you really don't like my country and don't care about my fellow Americans, because there are two sides those trying to save lives and shockingly people trying to kill people.   You seem to be taking the position of attacking the life savers and indirectly trying to defend the killers
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

squibber

We had an interesting experience with the vaccine issue. My wife invited her aunt and her aunt

MightyGiants

Quote from: squibber on July 21, 2021, 08:35:13 AM
We had an interesting experience with the vaccine issue. My wife invited her aunt and her aunt
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Squibber here is another excellent take on this issue:

QuoteEvery year, I try to do at least two things with my students at least once. First, I make a point of addressing them as
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

squibber

MightyGiants, interesting reads.  I read somewhere that if you bash someone for their flawed belief, they will just dig their heels in.

I think Biden should have a town hall meeting on tv with a panel of scientists and go into the technology of the vaccine, how it works in the body and why it is safe.  It will at least convince reasonable people who are a bit fearful of the new technology.