News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

DRAFT PICK THREADS- MERGED

Started by MightyGiants, April 28, 2011, 10:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TONKA56

Quote from: Slick on May 01, 2011, 01:08:18 AM
Look harder...he was the best lineman,but that doesn't make him Allen Page.

I don't see your point.  I don't see the attitude and obnoxious self-promotion...

He had his best season as a Giant and you seam to bear some animosity towards him.  Two years ago everyone was high on Jay Alford and he got injured...last season it was Lival Jospeh and he was inactive most of the year.

bigblueinclearbluenc

I like the pick and we need depth. Think of it. Steve Smith who I love may not be himself in 2011. Hixon is not only a 4th/5th WR, he's our KR/PR and he's coming back off of surgery. Manningham was not injury free. Barden is coming off an injury. It's just Nicks that is coming back 100%. Cruz maybe the next healthiest coming back. Smart pick. Cover WR/slot and ST's. Heck who knows, maybe a few gadget plays.

bigblueinclearbluenc

Jones and Dillard battle Goff for the MLB. With Wilks, Bullock and maybe Blackburn gone, he probably makes it.
You got Sintim, Tracey and Boley. Maybe Kiwi if he resigned. Who else? Maybe Ingram??

It's potential and he's got it. It's a crap shoot. If half the picks work out that would be great.

bigblueinclearbluenc

if Grant doesn't resign he's probably got a spot on the team. You never know Phillip's knee over time. Good pick and just like every other pick, it's a crap shoot over potential.

Slick

I said several times that I like him as a player and would like to see him return. I even believe he still has upside to his game. I really like his toughness. That said,to be the best defensive tackle on the Giants you have to outplay Canty, Bernard,and Joseph. Therefore it's not a great accomplishment to be the best on this team. I can't blame him for being frustrated about the turn of events that prevented him from getting his freedom to this point. He seems to be holding the Giants responsible for that,when they are just exercising their rights under the rules to keep him,which he should understand. The current situation is one that has every potential free agent frozen,and is not the teams fault.
They may still try to sign him,but with the addition of Austin I doubt they will try as hard. He just seems to have an attitude that he's God's gift to free agency,and teams will be groveling at his feet to sign him. Like many free agents he probably will be overpaid,and more power to him,but becoming a free agent makes some players think they are much better a player than they actually are. He's one of them.

worf49

terrymeisner  I did not see that report could you please forward the link.

Also, I think being quite honest many college students have smoked at one time or another.  m not excusing the behavior if he in fact was using MJ, however if he is no longer making poor decisions, then a second chance should be afforded him.

The type player I would be concerned with greatly would be one that was using since high school or prior to.  The latter player exhibits a pattern.

JR says the kid has been checked out thoroughly, thus until further notice I think we say welcome aboard and lets get down to some hard work.

bigblueinclearbluenc

I had us taking a OL, LB and CB in the 1st 3 rounds. CB is too important and we need 3 top CB's on the field every game. Between Webster, Thomas, Ross and now Price, we have 4. There is going to be injuries so expect at least 3 to play every game.
Remember how deep we were at WR last year? How about DL and then we lose Kiwi?
He may not be a Revis but if he's a Thomas or Webster level, our defense and indirectly our pass rush just got better!

bigblueinclearbluenc

I think its worth the shot. We probably lose Cofield. Rocky could get cut as we all that he would last year. Kiwi is not a lock to resign. They took a shot on a 1st round talent to offer themselves more flexibility with FA when it finally comes around. Since we rotate guys, having atleast 3 DT's is important and we have 4 to 5 quality players going into the season (Joseph, Canty, Austin, Rocky, Cofield?)

Chris

Quote from: troyfan on May 01, 2011, 12:00:36 PM
How many players can be picked in the 3rd round?  Everything I've ever read about every guy drated by every team says he should have been picked earlier than he was. Everyone had  the best draft.  No one had a worse draft than anyone else, but everyone did better than everyone else.

Ask a Bills' or Jaguars' fan how they feel about their team's draft.

vette5573

Quote from: bigblueinclearbluenc on May 02, 2011, 06:46:59 AM
I had us taking a OL, LB and CB in the 1st 3 rounds. CB is too important and we need 3 top CB's on the field every game. Between Webster, Thomas, Ross and now Price, we have 4. There is going to be injuries so expect at least 3 to play every game.
Remember how deep we were at WR last year? How about DL and then we lose Kiwi?
He may not be a Revis but if he's a Thomas or Webster level, our defense and indirectly our pass rush just got better!

This is true BigBlue. Every season players are lost to injury. It's the quality of the depth that keeps you going. The depth of the defense will be the best it's been that I can remember. The weak links will be part of the final cut. I'm looking for a Linebacker in FA and that's all that's needed on the defensive side of the ball.

dasher

Ed,
Time for me to express my manlove for free agent tobe Barrett Ruud again? Or is he not a good fit since a Mike and I need to keep my emotions in check?
dasher

files58

Wasn't Cofield tendered at the second round level? If another team signs him then we receive a #2, correct?

files58

I really like this guy. Watched him several times when Mich St. was on. Reminds me of David Harris, LB for the tenants.

files58

The Giants obviously believe in their coaching staff and their ability to teach. JR drafts players with athletic ability, raw materials, and hands them over to the coaching staff to hewn.