News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

DRAFT PICK THREADS- MERGED

Started by MightyGiants, April 28, 2011, 10:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

I'm not saying he can or he can't - we'll soon find out, hopefully. As Uni said, if he can't pick it up he won't see the field.

Chris

That's the first grade I've seen below B+ so far. I know we gravitate towards opinions that support our own.

Besides, the writer is basically putting it all on Prince's shoulders. If Prince shines, the grade becomes a A, in his opinion.

vette5573

Sorry Chris, I was responding to Todge's comment. I got the impression he commented along that line of thinking. Although I have to say that I never saw this player play one game. I'm just going off the film I saw. If Todge saw him play, then I would absolutely trust his very astute assessment. He's usually right on.

vette5573

Carl Banks said he's his Dark Horse and will compete for a job.

todge

The rap on him is that he shies away from the "dirty" stuff.  But I never said he can't learn to pick up blitzes.  If you recall, Bradshaw was pretty bad his rookie year at that.  Once TC sat him down, he got better.  So there is certainly hope.

One of the "negatives" with Scott is that he is a track guy who plays football.  The key is to whether he can become a football player who runs like a track guy.  The last guy who shied away from contact was Sinorice Moss and we know what that attribute did to his career. 

todge

Once again, we are faced with different scouting reports on players.  This is not uncommon. 

Anyway - while Byrnes feels JJ will not be a downfield threat and is not that adept at yards-after-catch (YAC), former Scout Russ Lande gave JJ the "best after the catch" tag among all WRs in this year's Draft.

Now I would be more inclined to lean towards a former scout than a beat football writer (who wouldn't?).  But regardless, we all know that you never really know what you have in a player until they take the field in an NFL game.  So time will tell ....

terrymeisner

jones has thighs like friggen tree trunks.....go Giants!!!!!

todge

Then again too ... perhaps Grizz has an "in" with the Prince of Darkness?  Sometimes his posts are a bit devilish.  ;)

vette5573

Grizz on the dark side? Naaaaaa. He's the nicest man you would ever want to meet. Trust me on that one.

Chris

Vette, no apology necessary.

From the limited film I've seen, he doesn't seem to be particularly shifty, but when you hit a hole and BOOM you're past the secondary I don't know if shiftiness is needed. Most rookies need work with blitz pickup.

He has nice size and speed and, apparently, KR ability. If he proves he can perform in that capacity, at least, he will make the team and get a gameday jersey.

JR did admit they "took a flier" on this player, so he's not a lock, by any means.

MightyGiants

Quote from: UniHamachi on May 02, 2011, 06:56:04 PM
While conventional wisdom suggests that the Giants picked high value selections up and down the board, Cold Hard Football Facts included one of Reese's picks in their first round mock, and it wasn't Austin:

http://coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_3707_CHFF%27s_anti-Mock_Draft.html

Curioisly, they didn't mention the Sash pick in their draft reviews. 

Interesting list, I like the idea of considering just production.  Not that it gives a complete picture but it does give a better view of one of the legs of my draft triad (production, mental, athletic ability)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

NYSPORTS

Head of scouting already said Brewer won't be thrown in the fire.  He's a project, just like Petrus and practically every other player drafted.

Names like Tyson Clabo, Ryan Harris, Jared Gaither, Jermon Bushrod, Tony Ugoh, Deuce Lutui, Davin Joseph, etc will fill an void this OL has.  

I'd me much more panicked if the defense, which gave up 427 points in 2009 and showed up again late in 2010, wasn't addressed.

Jaime

Scott has good enough hands to be a relible option as a reciever.
He had a MONSTER Soph. year. His productin fell off Jr. & Sr. years with nagging injuries.
Did haave a knee procedure. Likely he'll get spot duty that will reduce injury risk.
With Jerrel Jernigan returning Punts, & Da Rel Scott returning KO's, could be real interestin' for us in return game.

todge

I agree - Kareem is solidly entrenched at ORT.

However, I would be surprised if Prince doesn't beat out TT for the starting CB job.  If Smith can't make it back - I would also be surprised if Jernigan doesn't start in the slot (who else is there?).  If Cofield is sent packing - I would also be surprised if Austin doesn't get rotation time.

PSUBeirut

Quote from: Jian on May 02, 2011, 04:08:29 PM
Noticed the comparisons to Sinorce Moss here so I found another post on another site and here goes .............

" I hope your not talking about Sinorice Moss...lol He was all upside, and very little on field production...  Do u guys even know these things, before u write em down...lol

Sinorice Moss Career at Miami= 57rec 965yrd 9td /  7rush 55yrd 0td  Thats his career!!!

Jerrell Jerrnigan Sr yr alone      = 84rec 822yrd 6td/  45rush 322yrd 3td  Thats just his SR Yr!!!

Jerrnigan for his career=  232recept 3128yrd 18td / 132rush 892yrd 5td and he had at least 2td passes and i don't have his return numbers..."

I say at least see the guy on the field before making such unfavorable comparisons ..........

Another person could look at those stats and easily tell you the story that Moss was clearly the more explosive player- 3 more TD's in 27 less catches...much higher ypc....

Anyway, the comparison is a bit unfair and I'm sorry I brought it up.  You're right- we need to see these guys on the field.