News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Big Blue Huddle Annual BBQ and Get Together 2012

Started by vette5573, June 07, 2012, 08:53:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimv

Has anybody thought about where they're staying while up there?  It'd be a good idea if we all could stay at the same motel/hotel.  I think somebody said that the Best Western had an outbreak of Legionnaire's Disease.  If so, wouldn't it have been all cleared up bu now?  There might be another problem.  State Bar Exams are given around that time of the year and rooms could be at a premium.  In any event, I think it'd be a good idea for all of us to stay in/around the same place.  It'd be the best way to go out to dinner together, etc. 

giantsguy

Jim, there are a number of motels around the UAlbany area on Western Ave, Wolf Rd. etc.   A Google search will give you a number of results.  Let me know if I can be of any help.
Go Red, Grey and Blue !!

jimv

I know that, George.  THANKS!  But I just thought it would be good if everybody went to the same place.    I'll do some checking.

giantsguy

Quote from: jimv on June 16, 2012, 03:18:54 PM
I know that, George.  THANKS!  But I just thought it would be good if everybody went to the same place.    I'll do some checking.

That may not be very probable at this time.  I would expect a large crowd coming to Giants camp this year and multiple rooms may be hard to come by at any one place.  Good luck with that.
Go Red, Grey and Blue !!

jimv

I invited Patty to the BBQ.  She thanked us very much for the invitation but she'll be going home right after the Saturday practice.  She said that's her chance to spend a couple of nights in her own bed.  After all, she IS up there all week.  She also made a couple of recommendations on motels; one on western Ave & the other on Central Ave.  'll be checking them out.

Jaime

jimv

I've been thinking abouthow each one of us is supposed to bring food, drinks to the BBQ.  With everybody arriving at a different time & from a different place, it's going to be difficult to bring cold drinks, meat, salads, etc.  So, I was wondering...  Since it's going to be at George's, how about we each send George an amount of money to pay for everything &, IF HE'S WILLING, he buys all the supplies needed?  The amount of how much we send will be determined by George.  Whaddya all say?

jimv

I've just made room reservations for Paul, me & our wives at Holiday Inn Express, Western Avenue, right next to the SUNY Campus (walking distance, Rich).  Each room has a King bed with TV, WiFi, refrigerator, etc.  They serve free breakfasts.  Cost is $119+tax/night.  They guarntee that the rate is the lowest for a comparable room.  If you can find the same type room at a lower price, they'll give you the first night free & charge you the lower rate the second night.  I tried & couldn't find one.  Anybody else for it?

MightyGiants

Quote from: jimv on June 18, 2012, 09:26:58 PM
I've just made room reservations for Paul, me & our wives at Holiday Inn Express, Western Avenue, right next to the SUNY Campus (walking distance, Rich).  Each room has a King bed with TV, WiFi, refrigerator, etc.  They serve free breakfasts.  Cost is $119+tax/night.  They guarntee that the rate is the lowest for a comparable room.  If you can find the same type room at a lower price, they'll give you the first night free & charge you the lower rate the second night.  I tried & couldn't find one.  Anybody else for it?

That's where I have always stayed.  It had seemed to me they were on the expensive side, I guess they are being more competitive.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

jimv

Rich, they also have rooms with two Queen bed for $129.  If two BBHers joined up for one of those, it'd only be $64.50 each.  Not bad!

vette5573

giantsguy

Quote from: jimv on June 18, 2012, 07:44:49 PM
I've been thinking abouthow each one of us is supposed to bring food, drinks to the BBQ.  With everybody arriving at a different time & from a different place, it's going to be difficult to bring cold drinks, meat, salads, etc.  So, I was wondering...  Since it's going to be at George's, how about we each send George an amount of money to pay for everything &, IF HE'S WILLING, he buys all the supplies needed?  The amount of how much we send will be determined by George.  Whaddya all say?

I'm willing, no problem.  Just let me know what you all want.
Go Red, Grey and Blue !!

weeze

appreciate you volunteering george but i dont think its fair you get stuck with the shopping. your already going to have criminals like LENN loose on your property.
have we even decided if its sunday at noon or what?
PORSCHE =there is NO substitute!

vette5573

I don't feel right putting this all on George when in the past it worked out fine with everyone bringing items off a list. Of course George being the great guy that he is accepted Jim's request.

Here's the thing though, if some people back out or don't show, the ones that do show have to split the tab. That amount won't be known until the perishables have been purchased and we see who is present. Then how does it get split up? By person? Weese is bringing 7 including the kids, does that mean he covers seven shares?

I think after July 4th weekend we get a hard count of who is coming and yes John, we decided Sunday afternoon. George will pick the time.

Then we can come up with a shopping list and assign the hard goods like extra grills, tables, etc.

I'm booked to come up Friday. I can help with the shopping after practice and Someone else might be needed so George isn't going all over town for Ice etc.

It should be Bring your own beer or wine. This isn't a park and George can't be responsible for alcohol being served.

So, who else can help out? Jim, how about you?

weeze

big weeze and i will be there early to help in anyway we can like a run to the grocery store or whatever.
PORSCHE =there is NO substitute!