News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Re: Good (or bad) Movies PART 2

Started by LennG, January 23, 2017, 07:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimv

Today I got a blu ray version of an almost forgotten Gary Cooper silent movie; "Children of Divorce."  The featured players above the title were Esther Ralston & Clara Bow.  It's a real weepy Soap Opera.  But, it's fun to see a very young Gary Cooper cavorting around.  It's another film in my Cooper Collection.

jimv

Yesterday I got a bl ray version of the 1924 "Thief of Bagdad" with Douglas Fairbanks.  WOW!  What they were able to do with sets & graphic effects; it ws 95 years ago & there were no computers!

The picture was really overly long.  I like the 1940 version with Sabu much better.

LennG

Saturday night we got to sit down and watch a movie we have been trying to see for a while now. I'm not sure, but I sort of remember some one mentioning this movie a while ago, but I didn't see it listed here, so here is my review of 'Yesterday'.   
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8079248/

Looking over the cast, I do NOT recognize one name on it and assume that this was a real low budget movie to make. For those that do not know the premise, the movie is about a struggling musician, who gets hit by a truck while riding his bike. During that time, seems there is a 12 second blackout all over the entire world. When he awakes, in the hospital, he is banged up but fine. On seeing his friends and sort of girlfriend, he plays the song Yesterday to them and they love it but have never heard it before. So he tells them it's from the Beatles, who they also have never heard of. Let's cut to the chase, he googles The Beatles, and nothing comes up, the world has never heard of The Beatles.(among other famous things) So our hero, the struggling songwriter, starts playing Beatle songs and soon becomes a huge hit from these songs. Since no one has ever heard them before, he has struck gold. Not to give away more of the movie, and it's conclusion, myself and my darling wife, just loved this movie. In fact one of the best movies we have seen in quite a while. Maybe it's because we relate to the Beatles so much, and of their music, and always wondered if the Beatles would be just as popular today if they started out now? who really knows, but this movie, especially if you were a Beatles fan, is a must see. It is sort of a comedy with some romance thrown in and a great story to be told. I HIGHLY recommend this movie to one and all. Gather the family together and watch it as a unit, you won't be sorry.

(PS if you don't like the Beatles, maybe you should skip it, but it is still a great movie watch).
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: LennG on September 23, 2019, 01:21:39 PM
Saturday night we got to sit down and watch a movie we have been trying to see for a while now. I'm not sure, but I sort of remember some one mentioning this movie a while ago, but I didn't see it listed here, so here is my review of 'Yesterday'.   
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8079248/

Looking over the cast, I do NOT recognize one name on it and assume that this was a real low budget movie to make. For those that do not know the premise, the movie is about a struggling musician, who gets hit by a truck while riding his bike. During that time, seems there is a 12 second blackout all over the entire world. When he awakes, in the hospital, he is banged up but fine. On seeing his friends and sort of girlfriend, he plays the song Yesterday to them and they love it but have never heard it before. So he tells them it's from the Beatles, who they also have never heard of. Let's cut to the chase, he googles The Beatles, and nothing comes up, the world has never heard of The Beatles.(among other famous things) So our hero, the struggling songwriter, starts playing Beatle songs and soon becomes a huge hit from these songs. Since no one has ever heard them before, he has struck gold. Not to give away more of the movie, and it's conclusion, myself and my darling wife, just loved this movie. In fact one of the best movies we have seen in quite a while. Maybe it's because we relate to the Beatles so much, and of their music, and always wondered if the Beatles would be just as popular today if they started out now? who really knows, but this movie, especially if you were a Beatles fan, is a must see. It is sort of a comedy with some romance thrown in and a great story to be told. I HIGHLY recommend this movie to one and all. Gather the family together and watch it as a unit, you won't be sorry.

(PS if you don't like the Beatles, maybe you should skip it, but it is still a great movie watch).

I also really enjoyed the movie as I grew up on the Beatles. My girlfriend (literally half my age) did not and thought the movie was so-so and just "didn't get it", which I suspect might be the response of a lot of people who grew up on Spice Girls, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Blink 182, etc. That age group doesn't understand the love for the Beatles the way I did - similarly, I never understood my parents' love for Elvis.

Anyway...one of the main cast members in this movie is very well known, Ed Sheeran (which I wouldn't even know if not for my girlfriend pointing it out - LOL)!

I thought Jack (Himesh Patel") was superb in his singing - in fact, I was never a huge fan of the song "Yesterday", but when he sang it, I was deeply moved - dittos with "Long and Winding Road" (a song I hated by the Beatlers). He seemed to be able to match the feelings meant by the words to such a degree that it could either cause one to tear up or at the least, get a lump in their throats. As great as the Beatles were, they did not (IMHO) put that same level of "feeling" into their songs that emphasized the actual astounding lyrics. Patel really masters that part in the movie - to such a degree that you want to hear him sing more of the Beatles' songs that weren't so well known.

Anyway, great movie - especially if you were a Beatles' fan
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Jolly Blue Giant

I watched "Primal Fear" last night for the first time in 20 years. A truly great movie. Edward Norton scares the crap out of me. Great acting, great plot, great movie.

MightyGiants

I watched the 2 Popes on Netflix last night.  Excellent movie, I highly recommend it
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

eilasidogruoy

And all that in them is.

jimv

A couple of weeks ago I was looking for movies to buy on Amazon.  I found one I never heard of before; "Harriet."  It is, of course, about Harriet Tubman.  I thought it would be interesting, so I ordered it.  It came today & I watched it tonight.  IMO, it's a terrific film!  I learned a lot about slavery, the Underground Railway & the important part Harriet played in its success.  I recommend it highly! =D> =D> =D>

T200

:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: T200 on January 30, 2020, 09:55:37 AM
He is ridiculously busy! Directing and starring in 'Ozark', directed a couple of episodes for 'The Outsider', and has directing and starring credits for the 2020 movie 'Clueless'.
Bateman is an interesting character that I've learned to appreciate. The first time I saw him was in "Fargo" (the TV Series) - the first season. He was fantastic in Fargo and he's great in "Ozark". I laughed my ass off in "Ozark" when his wife asked him how he can sleep at night and he responds that he gets a warm cozy feeling recalling the thud sound of her lover being thrown off a 14 story building and landing near him. She slaps him of course, but what a great response, LMAO  :laugh:

jimv

I don't have a problem with you guys wanting to talk about TV (or other type) series.  But, this thread  is & has always been about MOVIES.  Can we just leave it like that & have another one for the series?  Thanks. :greetings: :greetings:

T200

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on January 31, 2020, 11:08:42 AM
Bateman is an interesting character that I've learned to appreciate. The first time I saw him was in "Fargo" (the TV Series) - the first season. He was fantastic in Fargo and he's great in "Ozark". I laughed my ass off in "Ozark" when his wife asked him how he can sleep at night and he responds that he gets a warm cozy feeling recalling the thud sound of her lover being thrown off a 14 story building and landing near him. She slaps him of course, but what a great response, LMAO  :laugh:
That was a great line! I've always been a fan of his. I just finished Season 1 and will start Season 2 on Monday morning when I hit the treadmill.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

LennG

No one has posted here is several months, so since many people are going to be shut ins for a while and want to be entertained, let me give you some write ups on movies we have seen, most prior to the Academy Awards. I believe all these movies were nominated for best pix.

The Joker

I simply LOVED this movie. It may not be for everyone's taste as my darling wife wanted nothing to do with it. (She missed out)
When I first watched the movie, I liked it but wasn't that thrilled with maybe the first 2/3 of the movie. As some parts where a bit hard to get into to. But, as the movie went on and the Jokers character became more and more into a psychotic mess, I really got into it. In fact, I re watched most of the first half and saw how intense this was. The one thing I came away with, even before the Oscars, was if Joaquin Phoenix didn't win an Academy Award as best actor, the thing was rigged. He was just phenomenal as Arthur Fleck, who alto persona was a Joker. He starts out as just a sort of party clown, just looking to make people laugh. But he is dealt bad hands and has this laugh that can't be controlled, And his transformation into what we remember of the Joker from the Batman movie (not the Jack Nicholson Joker) was remarkable. Out of all the movies I watched prior to the Oscars, this one was my favorite. As I said, it is NOT for everyone, but it is truly fascinating and spellbinding.
A big 5 stars here.

Ford Vs. Ferrari      https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1950186/

I really didn't know much about this movie, but heard recommendations from friends that it was pretty good, so I watched it. Once again, I found a movie I really liked. With Matt Damon and Christian Bale as the two main stars, I thoroughly got into this movie. Maybe it was more of a 'guy' type movie about Grand Prix style auto racing, but again, my DW didn't think this was for her and she passed, but she would have liked it.
To be brief, For anyone that doesn't know, the LeMans is a 24 hour endurance race that has always been owned by the Europeans and Ferrari in particular. Ferrari dominated the Lemans race for more years than one would want to count. They portrayed Mr. Ferrari as a sort of ultra snob and when Ford decided to take a crack at getting into this race, they were laughed at. (And rightly so). But Ford, and Damon persisted and eventually had a car that could compete against the  all powerful Ferrari. The Shelby Mustang was the 'it' car and for most guys, always dream car and was constructed specifically to compete in this race.
Anyway, very good acting, writing and great action for the racing scenes. I believe it was a long movie, but you never felt it was drawn out. I would recommend this movie to anyone. An enjoyable, unexpected watch.
I give it 4 1/2 stars out of 5

Judy    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7549996/

We have always been a huge fan of Judy Garland. So when this movie came out we had to wait a bit to see it on TV. I guess one of the main reasons we wanted to see it was the nominated performance of Renee Zellweger and we were not disappointed. She was terrific  and deserved the Oscar for this performance. She WAS Judy Garland.
If you are a fan of Ms. Garland you know of her story, child star, Wizard of Oz and the studio's pushing her into drugs and her final decline into decay that finally killed her. We enjoyed this movie very much. It is not a family movie, but much an adult story about a tragic person who should have had life a lot better, considering her talent. Ms. Zellweger was incredible. Not sure if she did her own singing, but you couldn't tell one way or another, it was perfect. If you were, or still are a fan of Judy Garland, this is what one would call, a MUST see movie.
I give it 4 out of 5 stars

1917     https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8579674/

This movie was the favorite to win the Oscar for best pix this past year, but lost our to a much inferior movie. anyway, politics aside, I really liked this movie also. Since it is a war movie, once again, I had to watch by myself. I knew my DW wouldn't like this movie--but I did. I was hoping, when I sat down to watch, that it wouldn't be another 'Dunkirk' where it got rave reviews but most common people hated it. This one WAS different and a very good watch. Myself, I don't think it should have been an Oscar winning movie as I felt there were a couple of movie that were better, but it was just an excellent watch. Think of it as a WWI version of Saving Pvt Ryan, only with a lot less intensity. It stars a lot of people I really never heard of, but to a man, they were all good.
So, story wise, two guys are sent out to warn a British Army company who was planning an attack on a German position, that it was a trap and NOT to attack. It follows their 'mission' thru obstacles and to help it resemble Ryan, one of the guys brothers is with this company and he needs to be warned of impending doom. So, not to give anything away, it is a very good watch. Since it is a war movie, there is killing, but nothing on a scale of Pvt Ryan. Just a good watch and would defiantly recommend.
I give it 4 1/2 stars out of 5.

The Irishman     https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1302006/

This movie, made by Netflix may be the wave of the future. It was basically made for a TV outfit, put into theaters for a very short time and then shown on Netflix for free (If you are a subscriber).
So lets get the formalities out of the way, another movie I just loved. Yes it is as long as Ben Hur, or the Ten Commandments, and many of those other Hollywood spectacles of the past) but I never felt it too long. I got into this movie from the get go, and it never let go of me. Maybe I have always been a  sucker for Gangster movies, Mafia movies and anything that deals with topics like this, but. to me, this was just as good as Goodfellas and maybe Scorsese's best work.
So, where to begin, the stars. When I have been thinking for years now, that Robert De Niro's career was over a while ago, he comes back with this. He was made for movies like this and he just shines in it. Al Pacino was remarkable also, and then Joe Pecsi, another guy who was just made for these roles. With Harvey Keitel, Ray Romano, Bobby Cannavale  and several others, just great cast, great writing and just great performances by everyone.
So, where to start. Basically it is the story of 'The Irishman' a hitman for the mob and his life as such, into the timely or untimely disappearance of Jimmy Hoffa.
Have to note that this was the first time that actors were made to look a lot older than they were, by computer technology and not make up. It was truly amazing.
So, this movie may not be for everyone. If you are not a fan of 'Mob' related movies, what can I tell you. Another movie I had to watch alone, but, I can't say this enough times, this movie is as good as Goodfella's and defiantly Scorsese's best work in decades.
5 out of 5 stars. . This should have won best pix.

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood     https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7131622/

We are really on a roll here. I watched this movie, mainly because I usually enjoy Quentin Tarantino's movies. From  Reservoir Dogs to Pulp Fiction, to Kill Bill, to Django Unchained. I know what to expect from him. I really didn't know that much about the plot of this movie, only the two stars were two of my favorites, Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt, so how bad could it be. What I got was a very pleasant surprise, as it was a very light sort of comedy and spoof of 1950's TV and movies. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie from start to finish.
So, story wise, Mr. DiCaprio is an aging TV western hero with Mr. Pitt as his stunt double. They are good friends and have been together for years. Mr. DiCaprio is trying to sort of resserect his career and not with a lot of luck, but he is getting by. I guess it is more about their relationship that is the real focus of the movie. Pitt really steals the show as he is constantly getting into tiffs with 'well known' people, from the 50's,a s that is the time frame of the movie. I loved his fight with an unknown Bruce Lee when Lee was in The Green Lantern TV show. It gets into The Charles Manson thing, but not in as serious a way as one might think from Mr. Tarantino, but, of course, you can't have a Quentin Tarantino movie without some blood being spilled at the end. For this movie, compared to most of his movies, this was very mild.
So, let's say I really like this movie and it sort of fit right into my groove for movies--light comedy, with a great story, great acting and writing and a big ending. Not for the family.
I give it 4 stars out of 5

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3224458/

This movie wasn't nominated for best pix, but I had to mention it anyway. I would think most people would know that this is Tom Hanks portraying Fred Rodgers, Mr. Rodgers from TV and doing a remarkable job at it. I enjoyed this movie, but not as much as many others. I need to start out by saying I was never a big fan of Mr Rodgers. Raising 3 kids and them watching this all the time, I think I can truly say I never saw one complete show of his. He sort of made me ill listening to him. Now this is nothing against him as he was truly an American icon and what he did for a particular generation will be cherished
So, I found this movie to be a bit silly, found scenes on the movie, like him riding the train and people burst into song singing Mr. Rodgers theme song, a bit over the top. Story wise, this reporter, who specialty is sort of bashing well know figures, is sent on an assignment (to be good this time) to interview Mr Rodgers and write a short op piece on him. Against others wishes Mr Rodgers gives him full access to himself and they sort of become friends.
Tom Hanks, as usual was great, he WAS Mr Rodgers and this was an decent enough watch and would be for the entire family.
I give it 3 out of 5 stars.

There are several others that I have seen in parts but not completely. Hopefully I will have the opportunity to review them and others in the coming future. Movies are a great way to pass the time, take us out of what has become a horrible world these days. Like in the days of the depression, people went to movies, not  for a reality check, but to be taken away form reality, to worlds that Hollywood made up to escape, even for a few hours, the real world. IN all the movies I have reviewed, I can say, all will entertain you and put you in a better place than listening to the news.
Enjoy them all.

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

jimv

GREAT reviews, Lenny!!!! =D> =D> =D> =D>

The only two I care to comment on are "1917" & the Mr. Rogers movie  I expect to receive the blu ray copy of "1917" today & am looking forward to watching it.  Hanks does a terrific job as Mr. Rogers as he usually does in all his roles.  I enjoyed the movie but it did become a little sugary at times.

I don't have Netflix, so I can't follow up on the Mafia movie.

LennG

Jim

You are, like me, a movie fiend, and you must try and see some of these other movies. You will like most of them.

I have heard that The Irishman will be coming out on Blu Ray and DVD. However you do it, see this movie. Simply one word, ---great.

Charlie Weiss