News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Re: Good (or bad) Movies PART 2

Started by LennG, January 23, 2017, 07:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

So, I've been watching a lot on Netflix and Prime these past several weeks, but TCM had on, one of my all-time favorite movies, a new age Western and maybe the best shoot 'em up ending ever filmed, 'The Wild Bunch' with a cast one could die form action like you never saw before in the movies. TCM showed the entire movie, about 2 1/2 hours of it, many scenes that were taken out to be shown in the movies, as it was feared too long.
I won't go into detail, because this is a movie classic and if you've never seen it and don't know much about it, well sit down and enjoy it. Mainly, past the turn of the century, aging outlaws want one last 'haul' sing on to deliver guns etc, to a Mexican general and the gunfight at the end, maybe 20-25 minutes long, at the time, was considered a bloodbath, with slow-mo and blood everywhere. By today's standards, it might be rated a soft R as it is so fake, but then, WOW. You can't watch an edited version of the movie, as so much would be cut out.
Just a great cast, great action and maybe how Quentin Tarantino learned about movies, from the master Sam Peckinpah.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

jimv

LennG

Jim

Maybe it's the 'classics' calling
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Jim

Maybe it is my love of just good movies that has taken me the past few days, so I went to see what I had on my DVR that was there for a while and another 'golden oldie' was right there--'The French Connection'. Like most, I have seen this movie enough times to just appreciate the greatness of it. By now, it does look a bit dated, even with the car/train chase, the editing and the gunplay, but it is just still a wonderful watch and being forgetful, there was enough I didn't remember to make me enjoy it once again.
My wife grew up in the neighborhood where the car/train chase was filmed and remembered when they closed the street to film that scene.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

So, over the weekend, my son called and said that we MUST watch this movie on Amazon Prime. He just watched it, thought it very good and said we should like it also. So we sat down, with a large bowl of popcorn and proceeded to watch "Knives Out'    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8946378/
a sort of who-done- starring Daniel Craig.

"When renowned crime novelist Harlan Thrombey (Christopher Plummer) is found dead at his estate just after his 85th birthday, the inquisitive and debonair Detective Benoit Blanc (Daniel Craig) is mysteriously enlisted to investigate. From Harlan's dysfunctional family to his devoted staff, Blanc sifts through a web of red herrings and self-serving lies to uncover the truth behind Harlan's untimely death"

It could be several movies from Hollywoods past, you know, eccentric family, murder, and then 2 hours of trying to find who-done-it, a la Hercule Peroit, Agatha Christie, Sherlock Holmes and probably several others.

So, my take. (and this is just me), I never really got into the entire movie and could say I enjoyed it that much, but my darling wife loved it. Maybe it was Daniel Craig's character who had a huge Southern accent and I see him only as James Bond. Bit I did doze off midway for only a minute or two and after that, I was completely lost. So the movie got very good reviews and ratings, so maybe it's just me and my snooze. If you enjoy these types of movies, you will probably like this. It isn't heavy, very light entertainment and some funny moments. (Again, listening to Craig with his Southern drawl, that was funny enough, but not meant to be.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: LennG on June 15, 2020, 01:00:56 PM
So, over the weekend, my son called and said that we MUST watch this movie on Amazon Prime. He just watched it, thought it very good and said we should like it also. So we sat down, with a large bowl of popcorn and proceeded to watch "Knives Out'    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8946378/
a sort of who-done- starring Daniel Craig.

"When renowned crime novelist Harlan Thrombey (Christopher Plummer) is found dead at his estate just after his 85th birthday, the inquisitive and debonair Detective Benoit Blanc (Daniel Craig) is mysteriously enlisted to investigate. From Harlan's dysfunctional family to his devoted staff, Blanc sifts through a web of red herrings and self-serving lies to uncover the truth behind Harlan's untimely death"

It could be several movies from Hollywoods past, you know, eccentric family, murder, and then 2 hours of trying to find who-done-it, a la Hercule Peroit, Agatha Christie, Sherlock Holmes and probably several others.

So, my take. (and this is just me), I never really got into the entire movie and could say I enjoyed it that much, but my darling wife loved it. Maybe it was Daniel Craig's character who had a huge Southern accent and I see him only as James Bond. Bit I did doze off midway for only a minute or two and after that, I was completely lost. So the movie got very good reviews and ratings, so maybe it's just me and my snooze. If you enjoy these types of movies, you will probably like this. It isn't heavy, very light entertainment and some funny moments. (Again, listening to Craig with his Southern drawl, that was funny enough, but not meant to be.

Funny, my reaction just the opposite - I really enjoyed it. My girlfriend didn't care for it and moseyed off to bed a little more than half way through. I personally like a good mystery and 9 times out of 10 I can figure out "whodunit" fairly early on. This one kept me baffled most of the way through.
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

jimv

I'm using my library of films to pass much of the time I have to spend at home.  In the past couple of days, I watched classic Westerns; "Big Country" & "Magnificent Seven."  I switched & today I've been watching "Zer Dark Thirty."

LennG

We have a movie station here, on cable, that has night showings of a lot of the old 'film noir' movies and has one star a week that they headline. So this week was Bogart and I have been watching faithfully. From the 40's I would say 'film noir' was my favorite type of movie, even if they weren't great movies. Give me a Bogey film in that category, a John Garfield movie (just so many to choose from) and those women --WOW.

So I've seen
Two Mrs Carrolls
San Quentin
Conflict
Key Largo
And Dark Passage  (all Bogarts)

Charlie Weiss

jimv

I just finished re-watching "Fort Apache" for the first time in a loooong time.  It gave me new perspective & I think it's better than "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" which is considered the best of the three Ford Cavalry Trilogy movies (I just re-watched that last week).  Later today, I'll pull out "Rio Grande."  It was the first of the Wayne/O'Hara movies.  Republic Pictures required Ford to make it before the3y'd let him go to Ireland to make "The Quiet Man."

Jolly Blue Giant

I watched "The Old Guard" last night. It was just released on Netflix (yesterday I think). I liked it and so did my girlfriend. I was always a fan of Charlize Theron anyway, especially in the movie comedy "Trial and Error" as well as one of my favorites, "The Italian Job"...but she was just so dang hot in Trial and Error.

Anyway, the gist of the move is that she and three guys are "immortals" and have been alive for centuries if not thousands of years fighting evils throughout the world. They get shot in the face or blown up and their body just rejuvenates as if nothing happened so they spend their lives as a mini-army trying to right the wrongs going on in the world. It ended in such a way that I think there will be a sequel.

I'd give it 3 1/2 stars, maybe 4. Not a bad way to spend the evening. And believe me, I've wasted many hours watching movies that I wished I had that time back, lol

Charlize in Trial and error
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI67atA3D2Y

The Old Guard trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP-IfMYhSX0
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

eilasidogruoy

Team America World Police

I'm very curious if anyone on the board has seen this movie and if so what your opinions of it are. I love it. It is unbelievably funny. I guess it's an acquired taste but I'm sure some of you will agree.  In typical Stone/Parker fashion nothing and nobody is spared.

You cannot leave this world without seeing this movie. If nothing else you have to respect the effort that was made to make it.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0372588/
And all that in them is.

eilasidogruoy

If I had a soul I'd sell it to get a response.
And all that in them is.

jimv

Here's response, elias:

I don't have Netflix & your description of the movie doesn't entice me to want to see it. :greetings:

LennG

Quote from: eilasidogruoy on August 11, 2020, 07:30:10 PM
If I had a soul I'd sell it to get a response.

What type of res[onse would you like

Never heard of it.

Charlie Weiss

eilasidogruoy

Quote from: jimv on August 11, 2020, 08:35:51 PM
Here's response, elias:

I don't have Netflix & your description of the movie doesn't entice me to want to see it. :greetings:

My description  of it turns you off? Like the part where I said it was funny? Pretty much the only description I gave. And it's not on Netflix nor did I say it was. But thanks for the reply.
And all that in them is.