News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Re: Good (or bad) Movies PART 2

Started by LennG, January 23, 2017, 07:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eilasidogruoy

Quote from: LennG on August 11, 2020, 08:38:51 PM
What type of res[onse would you like

Never heard of it.

I was hoping somone has seen or heard of it and would like to engage in a conversation about it. That's the  type of response I was looking to get.  I mean, that's what we do here isnt it? At least I see others do it. So I had an idea that I'd like to do it too. I cant be the only one on this board to have seen it.  But thanks for the reply.
And all that in them is.

Jim143

Quote from: eilasidogruoy on August 11, 2020, 10:03:27 PM
I was hoping somone has seen or heard of it and would like to engage in a conversation about it. That's the  type of response I was looking to get.  I mean, that's what we do here isnt it? At least I see others do it. So I had an idea that I'd like to do it too. I cant be the only one on this board to have seen it.  But thanks for the reply.

While I have heard of it, seen the trailers and snippets of parts of the movie, originally, it did not interest me at all.  Many of the guys I work with saw it and couldn't stop talking about it when it first came out.  I figured since we all have a similar warped, dark sense of humor, I would watch it. . . .

I think I made it 15 minutes before I turned it off.
"I'm just a nobody looking to stand in GOD's shadow" and try to live up to what is right and moral, I'm not Left or Right or any position, I believe in in the power of the holy spirit and prayer. I am not an angel, however I try to be as true to the rules of GOD and his son."

LennG

There you go, some one talked about it and watched it.   :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

jimv

I just re-watched (for about the 100th time) "Twelve O'Clock High."  This is the movie that I first saw as a senior in High School/freshman in College.  It had a profound effect on me; so much so that when I was presented with the opportunity on joining the USAF in 1953, I grabbed it!  =D>  The rest is history!  And, I am proud of my 32 years of service on Active Duty & Active Reserve, serving now as a Retired USAF Officer.

The movie had an outstanding cast of almost all male actors (one actress was in one short scene as a nurse).  IMHO, anyone of those actors could outshine any actor on today's screen.

LennG

I also rewatched one of my all time facorite movies the other day. Like I mentioned in my other thread, I've been trying to rewatch movies I haven't seen in a while, but the other night they had on the uncut version of Goodfella's and I just had to find a comfortable spot and enjoy every moment of this just terrific movie. With such an outstandiing cast--Deniro, Pesci, Lorraine Bracco, Paul Servino, Tony Darro and just so many more (including a great sort of cameo by Henny Youngman). Directed by Martin Scorsese, probably his best work EVER. Most people know the story, so why tell it again, but Pecsi really steals the show and wins his supporting Oscar for it. Don't know how Scorsese didn't win and that it a true farce. Movie always in the top 50 movies of all time and well deserved.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

philo43

For some reason my wife wanted to change things last night.  We dusted off the DVD collection and watched 2 old Bruce Willis movies.  Striking Distance followed by The Last Boy Scout.  Hadn't seen them in years, but greatly enjoyed them.  Especially The Last Boy Scout.

LennG

Quote from: philo43 on September 03, 2020, 07:48:21 AM
For some reason my wife wanted to change things last night.  We dusted off the DVD collection and watched 2 old Bruce Willis movies.  Striking Distance followed by The Last Boy Scout.  Hadn't seen them in years, but greatly enjoyed them.  Especially The Last Boy Scout.

Funny Philo, I always liked Willis as an actor. he made some great movies and some bombs along the way. Myself, I didn't care for 'Boy Scout' that much, but, as they say 'one man's trash is another man's treasure. Glad you enjoyed it again.

Charlie Weiss

jimv

I like Willis movies too.  Although I really like "Die Hard" & Die Hard 3" (#2 was a bummer), my two favorites are "Mercury Rising" & "Tears of the Sun."  His version of "Death Wish" isn't too bad.

jimv

I just re-watched "Fiddler on the Roof."  It's one of my favorite musicals.  Topol is GREAT!

LennG

Quote from: jimv on September 04, 2020, 12:26:49 PM
I just re-watched "Fiddler on the Roof."  It's one of my favorite musicals.  Topol is GREAT!

Us too Jim. Funny though, we both usually watch up until intermission, as the second half is depressing compared to the first half. Topol was great, but Ustinov was the best. Too he couldn't make the movie.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Since there really aren't many 'new' movies these days, we are relegated to either rewatching some of our favorites or scouring around trying to find a movie that we haven't seen that is worthwhile.
Yesterday I DVRed a movie called 'Heist' from 2001 with Gene Hackman, Sam Rockwell and a GREAT performance by Danny DeVito as a true bad guy. Again, I never heard of this movie, but most things Gene Hackman are in, and Danny DeVito, how bad can it be. Plus it was a genre that I like, the big robbery et al. I watched it this AM and was pleasantly surprised as it was a very good watch Sure no one is going win any awards for this movie, but when the cast seems to be having a good there is some fun and some serious shoot-em-ups, plus the great 'Heist', it was well worth the 2 hours I put into it. If you see this anywhere, or try Netflix I would recommend it. Just for Danny's performance alone, it was worth it. He seems to do everything, comedy, drama--just a talented guy.

Charlie Weiss

jimv

jimv

Quote from: LennG on September 04, 2020, 02:44:34 PM
Us too Jim. Funny though, we both usually watch up until intermission, as the second half is depressing compared to the first half. Topol was great, but Ustinov was the best. Too he couldn't make the movie.

Ustinov???????????????  I checked on Wikipedia & there was NO mention of his ever playing Tevye.

LennG

Quote from: jimv on September 04, 2020, 07:21:48 PM

Ustinov???????????????  I checked on Wikipedia & there was NO mention of his ever playing Tevye.

Stupid, stupid me, I had a brain fart and meant to say Zero Mostel. Sorry

Charlie Weiss

philo43

Quote from: LennG on September 05, 2020, 12:49:06 PM
Stupid, stupid me, I had a brain fart and meant to say Zero Mostel. Sorry

:boooo: =)) =)) =)) =))

Getting old sucks at times doesn't it!