News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Re: Good (or bad) Movies PART 2

Started by LennG, January 23, 2017, 07:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

While we are away this week I have continued my search for a worthwhile movie that is nominated for Best Picture. While there are a couple of movies I have no desire to see, and one will probably win, I have seen another on he list for Best Picture, "Trial of the Chicago Seven".
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1070874/
To date this is the BEST one that I have seen and I totally enjoyed this movie from start to finish. Maybe because I lived thru this era and remember the trial itself and the people involved, but I really didn't remember the entire outcome so the movie was riveting for me. With several outstanding performances, one by Shasha Cohen or Borat fame he plays Abbie Hoffman and he stole ever scene he is in. He is totally unrecognizable as Hoffman but a terrific job of acting. Also the judge played by Frank Langella, with great performances in the roles of Tom Hayden, William Kunstler, Bobby Seale and several others, once again, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie nd if I had a vote, this 'long shot' would be my choice.
Movie is history and those that remember the 1968 riots in Chicago at the time of he Democratic Convention, will enjoy this recap of it and he ensuing trial of he 'leaders' of that 'revolt'. Lots of cursing, but no sex, no blood, just a great script and superior acting. I definitely would recommend this movie
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

It has been quite a while since I posted on this movie thread. I always considered this thread more of a 'newer release movie deal and to be honest it has been a while since I watched something new from the theater.

Today I was able to watch the new 'blockbuster?' Dwayne Johnson movie 'Jungle Cruise'.  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0870154/ 

I fully understand that this movie as well as most movies with Mr. Johnson as the lead are more fluff-type movies, made for just excitement, not much in the way of a story, and lots of action, and this movie was no exception. It had loads of action, most computer-generated and Mr. Johnson was his usual lovable self, if that is what you are looking for. It had its share of fun and, did I say this already, lots of action.

So, what was my take, it was OK, for me. I have seen several of Dwayne Johnson's movies, some pretty good, and some pretty bad, this one I would put somewhere in the middle. A very confusing storyline, but who really cares you are not watching these movies for Oscar-winning scripts and acting. I was hoping for something a bit better, but it was OK for it's 2 hour length.

I would say this is the summer family movie as this is nothing in the movie that would be offensive for anyone, even children. Some people get killed, but no blood, that's about it.

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

The Siege of Jadotville

See my excellent review in the What we are watching thread.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3922798/

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Another movie that I reviewed in the What are we watching thread.

The Highwaymen, with Kevin Costner and Woody Harrelson

Charlie Weiss

jimv

Lenny, that was a GREAT description & review of the movie.  Sounds like a picture I'd like.  Of interest, I own a movie titled "Highwaymen," without the "The."  It stars Jim Caviezel.  It's been so long since I've watched it that I can't remember what it's about. ~X(  So, I'll check it it & get back to you.

LennG

Quote from: jimv on August 15, 2021, 05:38:52 PM
Lenny, that was a GREAT description & review of the movie.  Sounds like a picture I'd like.  Of interest, I own a movie titled "Highwaymen," without the "The."  It stars Jim Caviezel.  It's been so long since I've watched it that I can't remember what it's about. ~X(  So, I'll check it it & get back to you.

Knowing you, I think you would like it.

For some reason, I have always liked Woody Harrelson. He sure isn't Oscar-worthy but he always does a good job and plays a wide assortment of roles. Glad he got away from his Woody character on Cheers into much more roles that challenge his talents.

Charlie Weiss

jimv

I watched the movie I mentioned, "Highwaymen."  It was made in 2003 & was about a crazed man who runs down women & makes it look like hit & run accidents & a man whose wife was killed who's tracking him down.  It's an OK movie but the only reason I have is that it's a Caviezel film.

LennG

"The Outpost"            https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3833480/

A fairly recent movie (2019) about an American detachment of soldiers trying to hold off an attack by overwhelming forces of the Taliban in Afghanistan in 2005. This is a true story and I would highly recommend this movie, especially in light of what is going on in Afghanistan today.

see my complete review in the What are we watching thread.           

Charlie Weiss

LennG

A very new release on Netflix "SAS: Red Notice"   https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4479380/

A lower-level Die Hard-type movie. See my full review in the What are we watching thread.

If you like these type of movies, Die Hard--one guy up against all the baddies. then this one could be for you.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

I just wrote a review of 'The Marksman" with Liam Neesom in the 'What are you watching' thread.

Just another silly role for such a great actor, but if this is what he wants to do, fine. An average movie.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6902332/

Charlie Weiss

ozzie

The Plaza is an old, small theater here in downtown Garland, used mostly for elementary and middle school productions, but about once a month they show a "Classic" film.
No charge for admission, just first come, first served seating, which holds about 300 people. Popcorn, candy and soft drinks $2 each.
Anyway, this is not a new movie by any means, but this past Friday night my daughter and I went to the Plaza to watch "Rear Window" starring Jimmy Stewart & Grace Kelly.
A fun night!
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

LennG

Was this the first time you are seeing this?

your daughter????

I would love to view certain 'older' movies in movie theaters.

Myself, I have always been a HUGE fan of the Marx Brothers movies, as well as Laurel and Hardy. I have watched their movies over and over again, and they are a delight, funny, and I may even laugh a few times. But several years ago, I was able to attend a theater that was showing a Marx Brothers marathon. Watching some of these movies, with a crowd, in a movie theater, well it was basically laugh out loud from start to finish. It is so different watching with others and laughter is infectious. I wish there were more of things like this.

Charlie Weiss

jimv

As usual, I'm with Lenny on this.  There are so many movies out there that people don't know about and are better than a lot of the crap being made today.

ozzie

No, this was not the first time for either of us seeing it. We found out about the showing and just figured it would be worthwhile.
My daughter is an "Old Soul" when it come to movies. She loves TCM and was a fan of Robert Osborne when he hosted on that channel. She likes all kinds of stuff will give most anything a try.
She loves Jimmy Stewart and Hitchcock, so this was a perfect night for her.
I'm with you guys, I wish more theaters would show some of the older stuff. It takes on a completely different atmosphere when you can watch in a darkened theater with other folks and no interruptions.
I, too, am a HUGE fan of the Marx Brothers but have never had the pleasure of seeing them in a theater.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

LennG

Quote from: ozzie on September 13, 2021, 05:19:26 PM
No, this was not the first time for either of us seeing it. We found out about the showing and just figured it would be worthwhile.
My daughter is an "Old Soul" when it come to movies. She loves TCM and was a fan of Robert Osborne when he hosted on that channel. She likes all kinds of stuff will give most anything a try.
She loves Jimmy Stewart and Hitchcock, so this was a perfect night for her.
I'm with you guys, I wish more theaters would show some of the older stuff. It takes on a completely different atmosphere when you can watch in a darkened theater with other folks and no interruptions.
I, too, am a HUGE fan of the Marx Brothers but have never had the pleasure of seeing them in a theater.

Lou

If it ever happens again, you will be my guest.  Jim also    :yes: :yes: :yes:

Charlie Weiss