News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Re: Good (or bad) Movies PART 2

Started by LennG, January 23, 2017, 07:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimv

ozzie, I have a Library of over 2,000 movies.  I'd be willing to lend some out to TRUE old movie lovers.

Yesterday I got the "In Harm's Way" blu-ray & watched after turning off the Giants game.  IMO, it was a really crappy movie.  It was filled with amoral characters, the Kirk Douglas character being the worst of all.  I had never seen it before & only got it to add to my John Wayne collection.

LennG

Quote from: jimv on September 13, 2021, 08:34:02 PM
ozzie, I have a Library of over 2,500 movies.  I'd be willing to lend some out to TRUE old movie lovers.

Yesterday I got the "In Harm's Way" blu-ray & watched after turning off the Giants game.  IMO, it was a really crappy movie.  It was filled with amoral characters, the Kirk Douglas character being the worst of all.  I had never seen it before & only got it to add to my John Wayne collection.
Never cared for that movie either. Otto Preminger--phooey
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

ozzie

Here are a couple of pix of the Plaza.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

jimv

I just watched "Paths of Glory" again.  It's my favorite Kirk Douglas movie.

LennG

Here we go.

For some reason, our cable provider, Optimum gave us a free weekend of HBO, so I went thru the lineup and DVRed a few movies that I thought I would like to watch.

On Saturday night I watch a movie that I had heard wasn't as bad as it sounded, title-wise, and you know what, it wasn't.

Godzilla vs Kong    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5034838/

A fairly new release that I really felt was some stupid rip-off of trying to get another King Kong movie out there so people would spend money to watch. OK, it is something like that, but, you know what, I enjoyed it. It really had some silly story about a world below our own world. It seemed Godzilla, who hasn't bothered anyone for years suddenly appears and sort of levels Hong Kong. Now Kong is so cute and sympathetic, in captivity on his own island (Skull Island as we might have expected), they need him to fight Godzilla and get him back to being the nice Godzilla they have come to expect. So you know what, I still didn't understand a lot of what they were trying to say but who cared. The action scenes were great, the battles between Godzilla and Kong were great and there was plenty of action to go around.
Oh, did I mention the robo-Godzilla, where our friend Godzilla wasn't really bad it was the Robo one, so Kong and Godzilla have to team up to do away with this 'fake' Godzilla.

Again, I know it sounds silly and it is, but again, there was so much action, the fights were great, terrific special effects and Kong was so lovable, you will enjoy this one even as silly as it sounds. I know I did. I would recommend this to anyone, even children if they like big creatures duking it out. No blood, no one gets killed, no sex, and no cursing. Really a good family movie. REALLY.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

" In The Heart Of The Sea "     https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1390411/

A terrific movie by Ron Howard

See my review in the What are we watching thread.

Charlie Weiss

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

jimv

jimmyz

The Last Duel.

Two French Knights (or were they squires?) in the 1300s have a bitter disagreement over a plot of land promised to one as a dowry but wrestled by the other as substitution for rent owed to a lord.  The wife of one then accuses the other of rape while the accused claims the wife wanted it.  It gets settled in a bloody duel to the death.

The bulk of the film is a telling from the three sides of the story surrounding all the insults and slights and about the alleged rape.  Brutal duel at the end.

True story about Knight Jean de Carrouges and his friend turned enemy Jacques Le Gris.

My wife thought it was gonna bore her to death but she wasn't feeling well tonight and we kind of just put it on not expecting much and we both ended up liking it a lot.  The film got NO attention at the box office and its a shame.  These are the kind of movies Hollywood abandoned.  A period film with practical affects (not CG) and a gripping and nuanced story. 
"The best way to get anything done is...ugh...if you hold near and dear to you ugh...then you like to be able to ugh..."

LennG

Quote from: jimmyz on January 20, 2022, 01:32:31 AM
The Last Duel.

Two French Knights (or were they squires?) in the 1300s have a bitter disagreement over a plot of land promised to one as a dowry but wrestled by the other as substitution for rent owed to a lord.  The wife of one then accuses the other of rape while the accused claims the wife wanted it.  It gets settled in a bloody duel to the death.

The bulk of the film is a telling from the three sides of the story surrounding all the insults and slights and about the alleged rape.  Brutal duel at the end.

True story about Knight Jean de Carrouges and his friend turned enemy Jacques Le Gris.

My wife thought it was gonna bore her to death but she wasn't feeling well tonight and we kind of just put it on not expecting much and we both ended up liking it a lot.  The film got NO attention at the box office and its a shame.  These are the kind of movies Hollywood abandoned.  A period film with practical affects (not CG) and a gripping and nuanced story.

Where is this movie on?

Charlie Weiss

jimmyz

Lenn,

We streamed it on HBO Max but you can stream it on Hulu if you have a premium subscription as well as Amazon for rent.

The film stars Matt Damon, Adam Driver and Ben Affleck.  Directed by Ridley Scott.

I think I first heard it mentioned by Dan Carlin of the Hardcore History podcast as a very underrated and under appreciated film.

"The best way to get anything done is...ugh...if you hold near and dear to you ugh...then you like to be able to ugh..."

LennG

We have Prime, Netflix and regular Hulu. Any good?

Charlie Weiss

jimmyz

Quote from: LennG on January 20, 2022, 07:02:32 PM
We have Prime, Netflix and regular Hulu. Any good?

Out of those options it look like you

LennG

Charlie Weiss