News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Re: Good (or bad) Movies PART 2

Started by LennG, January 23, 2017, 07:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

babywhales

Tonight I went for a date with my bride for dinner and a movie.

Our favorite Laotian Restaurant followed up with the 80 Anniversary Showing of Casablanca .

After 40-50 viewings on vhs, dvd,and blue Ray; getting to see it on the big screen was exciting .

"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

LennG

You are so right Chris. One of our local libraries has a real theater and they show movies there. It doesn't have the dynamic sound that might go with a new movie in a theater today, but just seeing some 'older' movies, like Casablanca on this huge screen with an audience is really exciting.
We saw King Kong a month ago on this screen and it was like I was seeing it for the first time. When a giant ape fills up an entire movie screen and when he breaks thru that wall, just as exciting as seeing it for the first time.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

y_so_blu

Best movies I've seen: Rear Window, 12 Angry Men, Groundhog Day, Young Frankenstein, and Inside Out.

The worst: Zombiez, Dark Harvest II, Manos: The Hands of Fate, Hobgoblins, and Napoleon Dynamite.

So bad they were good: Pinocchio's Revenge.

LennG

Quote from: y_so_blu on February 22, 2022, 02:20:49 AM
Best movies I've seen: Rear Window, 12 Angry Men, Groundhog Day, Young Frankenstein, and Inside Out.

The worst: Zombiez, Dark Harvest II, Manos: The Hands of Fate, Hobgoblins, and Napoleon Dynamite.

So bad they were good: Pinocchio's Revenge.

Great choices both good and bad.   :yes: :yes: :yes:

There is a link somewhere about BAD movies that were so bad then have cult followings and people love them. I'll see if I can find it and post it.

A movie like 'Plan 9 From Outer Space' has long been considered the worst movie ever made. But it was so bad that people love to watch it and laugh, so it has become a popular movie throughout the years. If you or anyone has never seen it, it was Bela Lugosi's last movie and he died while making it. They used another person to take his place and every time you saw him he had his cape up over his face so you couldn't see it wasn't Lugosi. They used a shower curtain to separate the pilot from the crew in the spaceship and garbage can cover to show a flying saucer and these were the good points.

The Reanimator was another where a scientist wants to bring back his girlfriend(wife) from the dead. He dies or something but they keep his head alive and they a guy uses this head to --well you really have t o see it to beleive it. It has become a classic cult movie now.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

ozzie

Well, I can certainly add to the "Bad Movie" part of this list. Lenn's reference to "Plan 9 from Outer Space" and just how bad it was reminded me of another film starring a well known & respected actor toward the end of his career. I present to you:  "The Thing With Two Heads" starring Ray Milland & Rosie Grier.
Somewhat like Plan 9, this is so bad that it's fun to watch. All I can think is...How desperate was Ray Milland to have read this script and said "Yes"?
For those that haven't seen it, here is a summary from iMDb
Storyline
A rich but racist man is dying and hatches an elaborate scheme for transplanting his head onto another man's body. His health deteriorates rapidly, and doctors are forced to transplant his head onto the only available candidate: a black man from death row.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069372/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

LennG

Great choice Lou. I do remember that movie and I also remember, like you said, what the hell was Milland thinking when he agreed to make this one? Just a hoot to watch even if it was made to be serious.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Charlie Weiss

LennG

As I said, I found this link to just a few of those terrible movies that many think are watchable and funny.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/the-20-best-bad-movies-of-all-time/ss-BB1cFlrv?ocid=msedgntp

Charlie Weiss

Ed Vette

I saw Training Day last night. Thought it was good. Anyone ever see it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

jimv

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 31, 2022, 10:04:03 AM

I own the DVD version of it.  I bought it because4 I like Denzel Washington.   It was a departure role for him.  That I remember.  But it's been so long since I watched it that I don't remember his being a real bad guy.  I was not impressed with it.

LennG

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 31, 2022, 10:04:03 AM

I have seen it a couple of times. Denzel is way off character here as a real sleazy cop, but he is terrific in the part.
I enjoyed the movie very much and really should rewatch it.
Similar to Henry Fonda playing the real bad guy in Once Upon A Time In The West, here we have perennial good guy Denzel really going off character.

Again I liked it a lot.

What did you think?

Charlie Weiss

jimv

Quote from: LennG on March 31, 2022, 01:14:17 PM
I have seen it a couple of times. Denzel is way off character here as a real sleazy cop, but he is terrific in the part.
Similar to Henry Fonda playing the real bad guy in Once Upon A Time In The West, here we have perennial good guy Denzel really going off character.

Again I liked it a lot.

What did you think?

I guess I'll have to pull it out & rewatch.  I agree with you on Henry Fonda. 

LennG

Quote from: jimv on March 31, 2022, 04:20:30 PM

I guess I'll have to pull it out & rewatch.  I agree with you on Henry Fonda.

JIm

I know you so well, I can see why you may not have liked this movie, but it is great if not for Denzel's performance alone.

Charlie Weiss

Ed Vette

Quote from: LennG on March 31, 2022, 01:14:17 PM

Again I liked it a lot.

What did you think?
I liked it a lot too. I was surprised it was so under rated and below the radar. The last scene he went home walking to the door empty handed. He didn
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

jimv

For the first time I just watched "The Hustler."  I liked it a lot even though most of the characters were low lifes.

Bill Brown

Quote from: jimv on April 01, 2022, 03:59:53 PM
For the first time I just watched "The Hustler."  I liked it a lot even though most of the characters were low lifes.

I really liked The Hustler. George C Scott was great. A real bastard.

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."