News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Who do you think were the top five coaches in NFL history?

Started by Mr. Matt, October 15, 2018, 05:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

Quote from: Mr. Matt on October 25, 2018, 01:56:33 PM
I see a lot of Walsh-Parcells, which seems to be the consensus regarding that era. My question is about Gibbs. What sets him on a second tier in most people's minds?

Gibbs...
...won three Super Bowls (equal to Walsh, one more than Parcells), and went to four.
...never coached a great QB. In fact, he won with three different guys, two I don't think you could even call good, period.
...never had an all-time great defense, or a hall of fame defensive player, right?
...was arguably as innovative within Coryell's lineage as Walsh was in Brown's.
...had record-breaking offenses, but his famous receiving and OL units actually had several different players come through them

If you asked 100 football fans this question, top 5 coaches, I'd be willing to bet 98 of them would not have Gibbs on that list.
WHY, that is a great question that I cannot answer. I know I didn't have him on my list and looking at what you put up, I really don't know why.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Giant Obsession

Combining all the eras makes this a tough list to come up with.

Here goes..............

1. Paul Brown
2. Weeb Ewbank
3. Bill Belichick
4. Vince Lombardi
5a. Bill Parcells
5b. Bill Walsh
5c.  Joe Gibbs

Okay I cheated a little.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

LennG

Quote from: Giant Obsession on November 01, 2018, 01:17:20 PM
Combining all the eras makes this a tough list to come up with.

Here goes..............

1. Paul Brown
2. Weeb Ewbank
3. Bill Belichick
4. Vince Lombardi
5a. Bill Parcells
5b. Bill Walsh
5c.  Joe Gibbs

Okay I cheated a little.
''

No Shula
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Giant Obsession

Quote from: LennG on November 01, 2018, 05:18:57 PM
''

No Shula

Super Bowl III killed that :)  They should have killed the Jets in my opinion.  Many Colt players well after the fact stated they never really planned any adjustments for the Jets offense, just played their regular base defense that they played all year.

Not to mention the whitewashing the Browns laid on them in 1964 in the Championship game.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

Mr. Matt

"If there are going to be endless echoes, choose the good ones." -Eli Manning

LennG

Quote from: Giant Obsession on November 01, 2018, 11:00:57 PM
Super Bowl III killed that :)  They should have killed the Jets in my opinion.  Many Colt players well after the fact stated they never really planned any adjustments for the Jets offense, just played their regular base defense that they played all year.

Not to mention the whitewashing the Browns laid on them in 1964 in the Championship game.

But then Shula rebounded and took a newly minted Miami team to a couple of SB's and an undefeated season. he knew all the right buttons to press and no matter how anyone wants to spin it, Griese was NOT HOF material. He was a good QB who basically managed games, handed off to maybe the greatest RB threesome of all time and threw it to 2 great WR's.

My only knock against Shula was that he should have started Unitas in SBIII. As for the no adjustments, the Jets weren't an offensive powerhouse and really, I don't know how good the Colts defense was all year, but the Jets game plan was marvelous. Hand the ball off to Snell and not have Joe win the game for them. That is why I had put Webb on my list of great coaches.

Charlie Weiss

Scared Homie

How about the Offensive/Defensive Coordinators from the 56 Giants? One Coordinator from the 86 Giants?

And Jason Garrett/Jerry Jones -  :laugh:

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

jimv

Giant Jim

This last Super Bowl cemented Belichick as tops. Lombardi inherited a nucleus which stayed intact in the days before free agency.He won with the same team. Paul Brown, Shula & Landry were consistent winners with totally different teams due to their longevity. Besides Brady, who's left from their first super bowl, the kicker? They lost their left tackle last year and still won. How long have we been blaming Manning' and the running game problems on the left tackle?

DaveBrown74

Belichick
Lombardi
Walsh
Shula
Parcells

I think Parcells is actually underrated. What he did with the Giants was clearly great, but he was also the only winning coach in Jet history (Al Groh coached one season and got to 9-7, up to you if you want to count that), and he did well in New England. The Dallas stint was not great, but he was kind of semi-retired then. All in all a brilliant career and one where he built bad teams up, as opposed to just being handed a winner from the get-go.

Giant Obsession

Quote from: LennG on October 19, 2018, 09:05:55 PM
I know Lombardi is a legend and such, but overall, look at the team he had to play with. He had basically all stars at every position. He may be a legend, but I do not think he was the best coach ever.

It is really hard to rate coaches I have never seen.
IN my lifetime in no prticulat order
Parcels--to me he could be #1. He won every whrre he went. Yes, he never won another SB, but he came in to 4 different teams and bsically took every one to a championship game, ort improved that tream so much that they were a complete opposite from when he took over

Belechick==his recorde speaks for itself but I would love to see how he would rate without Brady

Shula== a much underated coach who was basically brilliant

Walsh== Just so inventive

Noll/Lombardi/Weeb Ewbanks/Halas/Cowher to m, all great coches, just not in the top 5.

Really, my idea of an all time great coach is one who has done it more than once. Many coaches are great when they have great players, but what happens when those players leae ot the coach goes to a different team. Coachs like Parcels, Shula, Even Ewbanks did it with several teams and still had great results.

Lombardi became HC of a team that had NOT had a winning record in 12 years.  The 2 years before Lombardi came in 1959 the Packers won 3 games in 1957 and one game in 1958. 

Lombardi began his first season by cutting 16 veterans from the roster he inherited.  His first team went 7 -5.   His 2nd team played for the NFL Championship against the Eagles and his 3rd team won it all in 1961.   

Make no mistake Lombardi coached and willed that team into the dynasty they became.

Mike

GordonGekko80

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 14, 2020, 06:08:02 AM
Belichick
Lombardi
Walsh
Shula
Parcells

I think Parcells is actually underrated. What he did with the Giants was clearly great, but he was also the only winning coach in Jet history (Al Groh coached one season and got to 9-7, up to you if you want to count that), and he did well in New England. The Dallas stint was not great, but he was kind of semi-retired then. All in all a brilliant career and one where he built bad teams up, as opposed to just being handed a winner from the get-go.

I can only quote and agree. Good post en explanation Dave.  ;)

jimv

Quote from: LennG on October 21, 2018, 09:22:17 PM
In BBs case, Brady = SB wins = best coach ever

I have to look at the record,  And, it shows thje following:

Belicheck never won a SB without Brady,
Brady won a SB without Belichecki.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 14, 2020, 06:08:02 AM
Belichick
Lombardi
Walsh
Shula
Parcells

Those would be my 5

Although I would consider swapping Tom Landry for Shula

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE