News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Your favorite piece of Giants memorabilia

Started by Giant Obsession, November 01, 2018, 11:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giant Obsession

I got hooked big time back in the late 90's as the internet really took off.

I met Y.A. tittle at a card show and got his autograph on a mini helmet and on the famous Berman photo.

I met Fran Tarkenton back in 1968 at a sports breakfast for the Winchester, VA Apple Blossom Festival.  He autographed 2 pictures which still hang in my den.  An aside, Fran was 28 years old and believe me a more polished prfessional speaker you have never seen.  While he told a few stories his talk was about fathers and sons, not a normal jock speech.  50 years later he is still and always will be my favorite football player.

My nephews gave me as a gift years ago Mr. Tarkenton's rookie card which I have in a lucite block.  Never had it graded but it looks to be a 9.

And my final act in collecting I have every card from the Giants years 1961 - 1990.  After that, I quit cold turkey as the amount of companies producing card mushroomed overnight.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

LennG

I have a bunch of those mini helmets, but never singed in person.

Maybe my best piece is a book, YA Tittle's daughter wrote about him and growing up as his daughter which YA signed and his daughter also signed.

#2 would be a book about the Giants 1986 season, that Harry Carson signed when he was at our BBQ and wrote a very nice personal note to me on the signing.

#3-which I didn't get myself, but my daughter got this for me. She was dining out with a friend and she calls me to tell me Michael Strahan was sitting at the next table eating dinner (this was when he was still playing for the Giants). She asked me what she should do. I told her to wait until he was finished with dinner and then, if she wanted, go over and say hello. She, in fact, did this and she took a pix with him and he asked her if she wanted an autograph. She didn't have anything for him to sign so she gave  him a piece of loose leaf paper and told him to make it to the best Giants fan she knows, me. So he wrote this on the paper, To the best Giants fan ever and a Happy Fathers Day Len, warm regards Michael Strahan. Obviously that was my Fathers Day present that year and I was thrilled to get it.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Mr. Matt

I don't think I have any Giants memorabilia anymore -- I went through a period of time where I traveled a lot and I don't have much stuff in general.

But...I did have something in my childhood that was pretty cool. I was totally obsessed with the Parcells-era Giants in elementary school, and I used to write Mara, George Young or Parcells a letter every week suggesting plays or some other silly thing. Wellington Mara wrote back to me hand-written notes I think three times, and would send an autographed picture of a player each time -- Simms, LT, and Carson. Those were my prized possessions when I was a kid.
"If there are going to be endless echoes, choose the good ones." -Eli Manning

jimv

1.  A hand written note from Wellington Mara dated 12/4/78 in answer to my complaints about "The Fumble."  He said:   
Dear Mr. Vollkommer -
Thank you for your perceptive and compassionate letter an d for being concerned enough to write.  I do share your frustrations and hope we will make the correct decisions.
Wellington Mara

2.  A signed picture of Harry Carson (my all time favorite Giant) given to my wife & me for our 50th Anniversay:
Dear Jim & Maries
Happy 50th Anniversary with my best Wishes
Harry Carry Carson # 53 NY Giants

3.  A signed picture of Tom Coughlin given to me at a great Albany party by Bill Loftus:
To Jim, Happy 80th Birthday.  Best Wishes,
Tom Coughlin

4.  A signed Harry Carson jersey

5.  A signed Frank Gifford jersey

6.  Purchased figurines, etc,

Ed Vette

My Super Bowl 21 ticket and seat cushion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

weeze

signed jersey oi HARRY CARSON. Funny thing tho, no one ever asks if I am "THAT" Harry Carson!"
PORSCHE =there is NO substitute!

jimv

I also have a signed Harry Carson jersey AND a signed Frank Gifford jersey that I wore to last week's game.