News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Eli Manning appreciation thread

Started by Dsoffer, September 17, 2019, 10:48:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harooni22

I appreciate Eli but the change was long overdue.

dflogan

I share all the positive thoughts expressed above, and greatly appreciate all Eli's past contributions -- both on and off the field... and I think we should also recognize how he is still putting the team first, even now at a time when he is being asked to stay on the sidelines. 

Several things I've read/seen over the past few days:

-- a story reported by several sources about how Eli, after hearing from Shurmer that Jones was being moved up to QB1, immediately went to the QB's room and began working with Jones to get ready for Tampa Bay (...15+ years as QB1, and he didn't walk out, tweet or complain -- just did the right thing for the team);

-- another story I've seen in several places explains how Eli could retire right now, and still get his full pay for this season (...some strange technicality of the retirement rules for long-tenured players) -- yet, even though his is not getting any extra comp, he's continuing to serve as Jones' mentor (...when a lot of folks would pout, take the money and walk away).

-- finally, seeing him today on the sidelines during the Tampa game, he repeatedly was front-and-center congratulating Jones after he good plays, and reassuring him after the bad -- and, after they won, Eli went up to Jones on the field and seemed genuinely happy for him (...looking more like a proud father, than a displaced ex-starter).

Eli is a class act -- and then, and now!!

jimv

Something to add:

Before DJ went on the field for the last drive, Eli was talking to him right into his face.  I'll bet a dollar to donut that Eli was telling DJ that this is just what a QB looks for; to go in with the game on the line & he can WIN IT!  (Shades of SBXLII.)

killarich

I have a confession , i am SUPER HAPPY about how awesome DJ was and hopefully continue to be

but... I will admit i thought i was over the Eli sadness thingy majingy but then......

The Giants posted on there facebook page an in depth look of the team on the sideline and their reactions to Daniel Jones , nothing but celebrations which was great ... then you see Eli always coming to Jones and congratulating him .....he seemed genuinely happy for him .. but makes me wonder if deep down it stings the guy  a bit and maybe he realized his time is up , hopefully Jones can do the unthinkable and get Eli his 3rd ring and he can retire

Ill never forget I met Eli twice in the airport when i worked at TSA (yes i was one of those guys for 3 years of my life) ... first time he was nothing but nice ... was with the family and still took the time to shake my hand and say hello, second time was the day after the final game of the season where he hurt his leg.... he had a whole leg cast .... made me wonder how bad it was .... anyways i chased his as and asked him to sign my giants rubber keychain .... i had a pen which failed to even write it on it ... he allowed me to run and get a sharpie and then signed it ..... nicest dude ever

AP44

Quote from: killarich on September 23, 2019, 09:08:45 PM
I have a confession , i am SUPER HAPPY about how awesome DJ was and hopefully continue to be

but... I will admit i thought i was over the Eli sadness thingy majingy but then......

The Giants posted on there facebook page an in depth look of the team on the sideline and their reactions to Daniel Jones , nothing but celebrations which was great ... then you see Eli always coming to Jones and congratulating him .....he seemed genuinely happy for him .. but makes me wonder if deep down it stings the guy  a bit and maybe he realized his time is up , hopefully Jones can do the unthinkable and get Eli his 3rd ring and he can retire

Ill never forget I met Eli twice in the airport when i worked at TSA (yes i was one of those guys for 3 years of my life) ... first time he was nothing but nice ... was with the family and still took the time to shake my hand and say hello, second time was the day after the final game of the season where he hurt his leg.... he had a whole leg cast .... made me wonder how bad it was .... anyways i chased his as and asked him to sign my giants rubber keychain .... i had a pen which failed to even write it on it ... he allowed me to run and get a sharpie and then signed it ..... nicest dude ever

Very nice post.

IIRC, the game where he hurt his foot - I think they said he broke his ankle. I could be wrong though.