News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Eli Manning appreciation thread

Started by Dsoffer, September 17, 2019, 10:48:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dsoffer

For those that know me, they know I

Bob In PA

If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

zephirus

I'll preface with the fact that I'm thrilled for Daniel Jones, and believe the Giants going in a new direction at quarterback is invigorating and overdue.

That said - this is very bittersweet.  I believe Eli Manning is the consummate professional, and will mentor Jones the rest of the season, but I'm sure deep down he's hurt.  It must be very hard to accept when others tell you that you are no longer capable.  It must hurt even more if/when he starts to know it himself.  I wished for everything that Manning could have gone out a winner, walked off into the sunset with another ring.  Heck - I would have settled for him walking off on a winning team, but life is not a fairy tale.  Sometimes you get the short end of the stick and that's all you get.

I want to tip my cap to the the captain who steered the ship to 2 Superbowls.  I want to congratulate the man who was the finest professional I've ever watched.  I want to thank him for the example he set in a world of professional athletes that I know I can point to when my son asks me who I admired and say "there's the man you want to be".  And I want to say I'm sorry that this ends without confetti, without fanfare, and without a sendoff worthy of his contributions.

Bob In PA

Quote from: zephirus on September 17, 2019, 10:52:50 AM
I'll preface with the fact that I'm thrilled for Daniel Jones, and believe the Giants going in a new direction at quarterback is invigorating and overdue.

That said - this is very bittersweet.  I believe Eli Manning is the consummate professional, and will mentor Jones the rest of the season, but I'm sure deep down he's hurt.  It must be very hard to accept when others tell you that you are no longer capable.  It must hurt even more if/when he starts to know it himself.  I wished for everything that Manning could have gone out a winner, walked off into the sunset with another ring.  Heck - I would have settled for him walking off on a winning team, but life is not a fairy tale.  Sometimes you get the short end of the stick and that's all you get.

I want to tip my cap to the the captain who steered the ship to 2 Superbowls.  I want to congratulate the man who was the finest professional I've ever watched.  I want to thank him for the example he set in a world of professional athletes that I know I can point to when my son asks me who I admired and say "there's the man you want to be".  And I want to say I'm sorry that this ends without confetti, without fanfare, and without a sendoff worthy of his contributions.

Lee: Nice job.  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

uconnjack8

Glad this post started this thread.  Well said. 

Messiah717

Never missed a single game due to injury.  That's certainly saying something after being in the league for so long.  Any team would take one let alone two SB wins during their franchise QB's tenure.  The end is usually never good so just look back and be happy there's some great memories.

AP44

Greatest Giants I ever watched play. Not as talented as Taylor or even Strahan, but no one represented the uniform better.

The ending of his career is just shameful on Reese, Ross, Mara, and McAdoo.

londonblue

Itis very sad that it is ending in defeat not glory but he has his wealth, his health, his family and millions of fans who will soon forget about recent futility to, rightly in my mind, focus on his amazing accomplishments with us on and off the field. He won at the highest level and did so without arrogance, as a good team mate and family man who has also quietly done a lot for charities and local causes. All good things come to and end but he has given us memories that will last our lifetime. If and when the NFL gets to celebrate 200 years Eli Manning
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

jimv

zeph, I couldn't have said it better than you just did.  And, London, you said it just as well.

Back in July I bought tickets for yesterday's game because I wanted see Eli live before it was over.  Looks like I made the right choice for a game. :( :(

Jintsman74

Eli was one of the all time great Giants in my opinion. Class
all the way. Tough, reliable and dependable. It is bitter sweet for me to as it is time to move to Daniel Jones it also is a time to thank Eli for coming to the Giants and being our QB all these years.

gregf

Well said. It's tough to turn the page, Eli has been fantastic for the team.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

lylemorgan @lylemorgan
1h
Eli Manning stats:
150,000 kids/year to Manning Children's Clinic
$25M raised as chair of the NYC March for Babies
Red Cross Celeb Cabinet
Fundraiser for Guide Dogs
Make-a-Wish supporter
Tackle Kids Cancer
Classroom Cares Ambassador
NFL Man of the Year 2017
#thankyoueli
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Dsoffer

Quote from: MightyGiants on September 17, 2019, 01:32:08 PM
lylemorgan @lylemorgan
1h
Eli Manning stats:
150,000 kids/year to Manning Children's Clinic
$25M raised as chair of the NYC March for Babies
Red Cross Celeb Cabinet
Fundraiser for Guide Dogs
Make-a-Wish supporter
Tackle Kids Cancer
Classroom Cares Ambassador
NFL Man of the Year 2017
#thankyoueli

I left this out and in honesty, it

drakew

Little known fact outside of my media circles: When Peyton and Eli did those goofy Directv commercials, they charged the producers 10 times what was normally CHARGED!!!!!!

BUT; 100% of the money went secretly to children's charities, including the Indy Children's Hospital..... :ok:
"The future ain't what it used to be-" Yogi Berra