News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What are we watching these days?

Started by LennG, September 02, 2020, 04:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

Lenn, I'm surprised you didn't list "Band of Brothers", the most expensive and detailed war documentary ever produced for television. It was produced by Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks. It's 10 episodes long and cost 125 million to produce. It follows the lives of "Easy" Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment of the 101st Airborne Division, from bootcamp and parachute training, to Germany's capitulation, with a focus on D-Day (parachuting behind enemy lines) and the Battle of the Bulge. It won both an Emmy and a Golden Globe Award for "Best Miniseries"

It is particularly interesting to me because my cousin and my uncle were involved in the Battle of the Bulge. My mother's only male first cousin, and my Dad's oldest brother, Bob. My first cousin (once removed, of course) was Kenny Webb, and he was in "Easy Company" and was killed in the Battle of the Bulge after recovering from gunshot wounds suffered in the D-Day invasion. There is a professional actor who portrayed Kenny in the miniseries. He is buried in the Luxembourg Cemetery along with General Patton.

My Uncle Bob was a Staff Sergeant in the 2nd Platoon, Company D, 134th Infantry Regiment, of the 35th Infantry Division. He was in the D-Day invasion, and worked his way across France and Belgium, joining in the Battle of the Bulge under the direction of Patton's 3rd Army. He was later shot in the leg in Germany, but refused care so he could limp all the way to Berlin to take out Hitler. He died a few years ago with the bullet still in his leg and was a very decorated soldier

My dad's other brother was a member of the elite 87th Infantry Regiment, Company L, 10th Mountain Division, and was KIA on the same day and the same mountain in Italy that Bob Dole was wounded, less than a mile away

My dad of course, was also in WWII (and the Korean War) in the US Navy in the Pacific region

There are some other notes on my cousin and uncles in Find a Grave if interested https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/56063971/kenneth-jay-webb

And  https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/12943536/robert-norman-chrysler
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

LennG

Ric

I can't tell you how many times I have seen Band of Brothers. It is, without a doubt, the greatest series ever made about WWII. I have seen The Pacific only a couple of times, but still a great watch.
As I said, I am like a vacuum when it comes to new series/shows/documentaries about WWII or any other subject I love. In fact, I love things about the Civil War more than WWII. I am far from an expert on the Civil War, but on a Jeopardy show last week they had a topic on the Civil War and I only missed one out of the 5. The other 3 contestants only got 3 right.

I really don't have relatives who fought in WWII. My Dad was 4-F because of a busted ear drum. I am named after a brother of his who was killed in action in WWII. In the Jewish religion, you name someone after a deceased person and try to use their initial to find a name,e appropriate. The person I was named after was named Larry, which got me to Leonard.

Being in Germany for the 3 years of 1966-1969 and even then, being a history person, I was able to visit Bastogne and visit several sites of the Battle of the Bulge. One museum they have there is called the 'Nuts" museum which was the reply of General McAuliffe when asked if he would surrender. Supposedly he said a few other things first that were sort of left out of the history books, but when he said to tell them Nuts, it was a sort of 'Go To Hell' replay. Anyway, they started a museum called the Nuts Museum commemorating this.
I have also been the Luxemburg and visited the grave of General Patton. I have a pic of it somewhere buried in my old photos of my time in Germany. The only place I regret never getting to was Berlin as it was in East Germany and very difficult to get there as a soldier stationed in the West.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: LennG on March 13, 2024, 09:27:27 PMRic

I can't tell you how many times I have seen Band of Brothers. It is, without a doubt, the greatest series ever made about WWII. I have seen The Pacific only a couple of times, but still a great watch.
As I said, I am like a vacuum when it comes to new series/shows/documentaries about WWII or any other subject I love. In fact, I love things about the Civil War more than WWII. I am far from an expert on the Civil War, but on a Jeopardy show last week they had a topic on the Civil War and I only missed one out of the 5. The other 3 contestants only got 3 right.

I really don't have relatives who fought in WWII. My Dad was 4-F because of a busted ear drum. I am named after a brother of his who was killed in action in WWII. In the Jewish religion, you name someone after a deceased person and try to use their initial to find a name,e appropriate. The person I was named after was named Larry, which got me to Leonard.

Being in Germany for the 3 years of 1966-1969 and even then, being a history person, I was able to visit Bastogne and visit several sites of the Battle of the Bulge. One museum they have there is called the 'Nuts" museum which was the reply of General McAuliffe when asked if he would surrender. Supposedly he said a few other things first that were sort of left out of the history books, but when he said to tell them Nuts, it was a sort of 'Go To Hell' replay. Anyway, they started a museum called the Nuts Museum commemorating this.
I have also been the Luxemburg and visited the grave of General Patton. I have a pic of it somewhere buried in my old photos of my time in Germany. The only place I regret never getting to was Berlin as it was in East Germany and very difficult to get there as a soldier stationed in the West.

Incredible story Lenn. I would like to go to Luxembourg before I die and pay tribute to my cousin Kenny. Also, like your father, my grandfather Ray tried like crazy to get into WWI, but he lost an eye in an accident as a child and they 4-F'd him. It broke his heart. All four of his sons joined the service and three of them served in WWII including my father, who also served in Korea. I put together a shadow box of his medals and included patches of his uniform as well as the Boatswain's Whistle he wore around his neck

He was a Petty Officer on the battleship USS New Jersey and during battle, was 11 stories high on a mast with binoculars and he would radio down to the commanders in the 16" cannon turrets to tell them where they hit and where to adjust. He was on this ship when the photo was taken (property of the US Navy)

This is what we call our families' "Wall of Fame" from the service of my father, his brother, and all his grandkids who were in the military. The flag on the left flew over Iran and my son (a combat medic) brought it back to me along with certification. The folded flag in the middle is my uncle Glenn's 48 star flag that draped his coffin after getting killed in action...and a letter signed by Harry Truman on the right. This is an old picture because it doesn't show my father's coffin flag nor does it show three of his grandchildren who are soldiers in the Israeli army...and we're not supposed to show those pictures for their safety

Bill Brown

If you enjoy WWII stuff try "Masters of the Air"  It is the story of the guys who flew B-17s over Europe. It's a 10 part series like BoB. I've watched the first five episodes and decided to wait until all the rest drop before finishing it. I have a hard time to not watch the 3 I haven't seen yet but I'll enjoy it more when I can binge them.

I had a cousin that flew the B-17 and was shot down in France and was assisted by a French family that kept him hidden until he could escape.

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

EDjohnst1981

Recently finished Yellowstone - a little underwhelming. First two seasons were good but then tapered off pretty quickly. The final section was a slog.

True Detective: Night Country - Enjoyed it more than my Mrs, it's nice and short.

About to start the 5th Season of Fargo this evening/tomorrow.

Sem

I just wrapped up the 2nd season of The Tourist on Netflix starring Jamie Dornan, (The Fall, and Fifty Shades of Grey). Season one took place in the outback of Australia, and season two in Ireland, and had little to do with the first season other than the lead character's amnesia. For the most part I liked it, but I'm torn on this series. It was at times interesting, and at times dull; both serious and yet on occasion mildly funny. Some nice plot twists with interesting characters, though it did have a couple side plots that went nowhere. I probably liked it more than I should have, but that was mostly due to the likeability of Dornan's character, and watching him get into and then out of too many impossible situations. I'd recommend it if you don't mind suspending belief, and are also running out of other shows on your list to watch.  I'd rate it a 7/10, but maybe a 6/10 with another lead actor rather than Dornan.

LennG

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on March 13, 2024, 11:14:05 PMIncredible story Lenn. I would like to go to Luxembourg before I die and pay tribute to my cousin Kenny. Also, like your father, my grandfather Ray tried like crazy to get into WWI, but he lost an eye in an accident as a child and they 4-F'd him. It broke his heart. All four of his sons joined the service and three of them served in WWII including my father, who also served in Korea. I put together a shadow box of his medals and included patches of his uniform as well as the Boatswain's Whistle he wore around his neck

He was a Petty Officer on the battleship USS New Jersey and during battle, was 11 stories high on a mast with binoculars and he would radio down to the commanders in the 16" cannon turrets to tell them where they hit and where to adjust. He was on this ship when the photo was taken (property of the US Navy)

This is what we call our families' "Wall of Fame" from the service of my father, his brother, and all his grandkids who were in the military. The flag on the left flew over Iran and my son (a combat medic) brought it back to me along with certification. The folded flag in the middle is my uncle Glenn's 48 star flag that draped his coffin after getting killed in action...and a letter signed by Harry Truman on the right. This is an old picture because it doesn't show my father's coffin flag nor does it show three of his grandchildren who are soldiers in the Israeli army...and we're not supposed to show those pictures for their safety

Just incredible stuff Ric. I would love to visit your 'Wall of Honor' one day. It would be my privilege to view those awards and other memorabilia. Simply outstanding.

I have never been on the New Jersey but I have been on the Wisconsin (anchored in Norfolk) and the Missouri, anchored in Pearl Harbor) (sister ships). Those battleships were amazing. I have a pic of my wife standing under the 'Big' guns on the Missouri.

. When we toured the Wisconsin the officer in charge told us that it takes about 15-20 seconds for those guns to rotate 1/2 circle and they can hit a target 26 miles away with pinpoint accuracy.

Anyway, I apologize to one and all for hijacking this great thread.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Quote from: Bill Brown on March 14, 2024, 06:20:05 AMIf you enjoy WWII stuff try "Masters of the Air"  It is the story of the guys who flew B-17s over Europe. It's a 10 part series like BoB. I've watched the first five episodes and decided to wait until all the rest drop before finishing it. I have a hard time to not watch the 3 I haven't seen yet but I'll enjoy it more when I can binge them.

I had a cousin that flew the B-17 and was shot down in France and was assisted by a French family that kept him hidden until he could escape.

Bill

Most definitely something I would love to watch. Where is it on?

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on March 14, 2024, 10:51:38 AMRecently finished Yellowstone - a little underwhelming. First two seasons were good but then tapered off pretty quickly. The final section was a slog.

True Detective: Night Country - Enjoyed it more than my Mrs, it's nice and short.

About to start the 5th Season of Fargo this evening/tomorrow.

As to Yellowstone, and I only speak for myself, I simply LOVED it, from the opening season to its semi-conclusion. Unlike you, I felt it got more interesting as it went on as I got to know the characters and their habits a lot more. To each his own I say.

I am watching True Detective, almost finished season 2. I really disliked season 1 but I decided to try season 2 and I like this season much better.

As for Fargo, this last season was just great and I was sorry to see it go. I usually like to let an entire season drops and then binge-watch, but with Fargo, I simply couldn't let that wait for a new season just go by by watching it in 2 days. I let it expand on my for about a month. Just a terrific watch.

Charlie Weiss

Bill Brown

Quote from: LennG on March 14, 2024, 05:22:10 PMMost definitely something I would love to watch. Where is it on?

I believe it is on Apple TV. I have a Superbox so I  can get most shows that are streamed by anyone on the video on demand feature.

Bill

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: LennG on March 14, 2024, 05:26:41 PMAs to Yellowstone, and I only speak for myself, I simply LOVED it, from the opening season to its semi-conclusion. Unlike you, I felt it got more interesting as it went on as I got to know the characters and their habits a lot more. To each his own I say.

I am watching True Detective, almost finished season 2. I really disliked season 1 but I decided to try season 2 and I like this season much better.

As for Fargo, this last season was just great and I was sorry to see it go. I usually like to let an entire season drops and then binge-watch, but with Fargo, I simply couldn't let that wait for a new season just go by by watching it in 2 days. I let it expand on my for about a month. Just a terrific watch.

I said it earlier, but I'm watching a show that reminds me so much of a Fargo series that it isn't funny. Instead of Minnesota, though, it's in London. I'm sure you'd like it, Lenn. Lot of crazy stuff...lot of killing, and several groups of really bad people out to get them. It's "The Gentlemen"...it's on Netflix (just dropped) and all 8 episodes are available so it can be binged. And I can't push the 4 season thriller of "Nikita" enough, but you have to get the Roku app...which is free. And there's more than one Nikita so make sure you get the one with Maggie Q, and not the Paris, France version because they are both on there

Still waiting for season 2 of "The Night Agent", "Tulsa King", "1923", "Citadel", and the next season of "Outer Banks", "Fargo 6", etc.

LennG

Quote from: Bill Brown on March 14, 2024, 06:12:20 PMI believe it is on Apple TV. I have a Superbox so I  can get most shows that are streamed by anyone on the video on demand feature.

Bill

What is Superbox?

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on March 14, 2024, 06:40:15 PMI said it earlier, but I'm watching a show that reminds me so much of a Fargo series that it isn't funny. Instead of Minnesota, though, it's in London. I'm sure you'd like it, Lenn. Lot of crazy stuff...lot of killing, and several groups of really bad people out to get them. It's "The Gentlemen"...it's on Netflix (just dropped) and all 8 episodes are available so it can be binged. And I can't push the 4 season thriller of "Nikita" enough, but you have to get the Roku app...which is free. And there's more than one Nikita so make sure you get the one with Maggie Q, and not the Paris, France version because they are both on there

Still waiting for season 2 of "The Night Agent", "Tulsa King", "1923", "Citadel", and the next season of "Outer Banks", "Fargo 6", etc.

At this time we do not have Netflix. I was on my daughter's account but she dropped it so we did also. Plus now we can't share a membership. I have so many other things to watch so I'll just have to suffer and miss what is on Netflix, at least for now.

Charlie Weiss

Bill Brown

Quote from: LennG on March 14, 2024, 08:21:01 PMWhat is Superbox?

The superbox4 is a box that connects to an hdmi port on my TV and gives me around 1200 live TV stations and a video on demand feature for movies and TV shows. I bought it on Amazon for around 300 bucks but now you can get a superbox4 for 222 on Amazon. The drop in price is because now there is a superbox5 but the 4 does all I need.

This is a one time purchase. No monthly fees or any other fees.

I bought it because Kingm26 (Matt) told me about it when people were asking how to get Giants game if they aren't broadcasting in my area. I thought I would pay 300 if I could get the Giants. This box allows me to do that. You can watch any NFL game live you want to see. Even the games that are broadcast on Amazon or peacock are available on the box.

You can also get several HBOs SHOWTIME Cinemax Starz etc.

I use the video on demand feature most of the time. I can get most of the current movies and TV series and almost any movies or series I want to watch I can find. Any show you get on Netflix or Apple I can get on the box.

This is not the perfect solution but is as close as possible. Once in awhile a station my be down for maintenance but if you ask me if I would recommend this box I would say ABSOLUTELY 100%  I LOVE IT.

I still have Hulu and Netflix but only because Louise want to keep them because she is comfortable using them so we keep those services for her but if I was alone the superbox4 would be all I would use.

Bill

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bill Brown on March 15, 2024, 07:32:17 AMThe superbox4 is a box that connects to an hdmi port on my TV and gives me around 1200 live TV stations and a video on demand feature for movies and TV shows. I bought it on Amazon for around 300 bucks but now you can get a superbox4 for 222 on Amazon. The drop in price is because now there is a superbox5 but the 4 does all I need.

This is a one time purchase. No monthly fees or any other fees.

I bought it because Kingm26 (Matt) told me about it when people were asking how to get Giants game if they aren't broadcasting in my area. I thought I would pay 300 if I could get the Giants. This box allows me to do that. You can watch any NFL game live you want to see. Even the games that are broadcast on Amazon or peacock are available on the box.

You can also get several HBOs SHOWTIME Cinemax Starz etc.

I use the video on demand feature most of the time. I can get most of the current movies and TV series and almost any movies or series I want to watch I can find. Any show you get on Netflix or Apple I can get on the box.

This is not the perfect solution but is as close as possible. Once in awhile a station my be down for maintenance but if you ask me if I would recommend this box I would say ABSOLUTELY 100%  I LOVE IT.

I still have Hulu and Netflix but only because Louise want to keep them because she is comfortable using them so we keep those services for her but if I was alone the superbox4 would be all I would use.

Bill
I'm wondering how Apple and Netflix would allow this. Does it have all the channels that YouTube TV has like the NFL Channel? Seems to me it's an illegal Box but how could it be out there for so long.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin