News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What are we watching these days?

Started by LennG, September 02, 2020, 04:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on February 07, 2022, 03:42:40 PM
I wasn't in the market for a girlfriend and somehow things just came about in such a way that she fell out of the sky into my lap. I still haven't figured out if I'm "lucky" or not. Though our age difference is pretty stark (32 years), we work pretty well together. She's younger than my daughters who have told me they will never call here "Mom"...lol.

Biggest differences: tastes in music and movies
If you are happy that is all that matters!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LennG

Quote from: T200 on February 07, 2022, 01:50:24 PM
Since we're already done with Ozark S4 Part I, we decided to watch Breaking Bad. We're in S4 right now. It's definitely worth the watch. I've heard people talking about it and it doesn't disappoint!

I watched Breaking Bad right from the get-go. I used to tell people about it and they looked at me like they didn't know what I was talking about. It is such a great watch and many people, including myself, say it is the best show EVER on any TV. I know several people here who tried it and didn't like it but to each his own. I really should rewatch it as it has been quite a while since I have seen it, but it is truly always in the top 3 shows that were ever made for TV.
Just a terrific cast, excellent writing, action, and the cinemaphotography is outstanding. Nothing like this was ever seen on TV to that point so it was a riveting watch each and every week. Since it was done on AMC there was just so much they could show and do, and it was on once a week, but since you can binge-watch it, it is even better.

Enjoy it and after that watch Better Call Saul, which is a pre Breaking Bad as it tells how Saul Goodman evolved and contains many of the characters from Breaking Bad.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

I watched all 8 episodes of "Reacher" last night and it was really good IMO. I've read every one of Lee Child's "Reacher" books and this series is about as close to the written stories of any production I've seen. The star is far more realistic than the "Reacher" movies in which Tom Cruise plays the lead. In fact, Child did an interview about this series and suggested a mammoth man for the part because so many fans (of his books) were annoyed, unhappy, pissed, whatever when in the movie they plugged in a 5'7" yappy movie star to play a 6'5" man-of-few-words, bruiser... so that was taken into consideration before casting for this series. Anyway, great series. It appears that each season is a complete story from one of his books - about the only way to do a book right IMO. Hopefully there's another season and more coming.

It's on Prime and I highly suggest it to anyone who likes mysteries combined with some serious ass-kicking, blood, murder, betrayal, intrigue, etc.

Just a tease:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-YNd31tSZg

Official trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDekbN4EtaE
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

babywhales

Season 1 - Friday Night Lights
Season 4 - Ozarks
Ranger Hockey
Most things on hold to watch Olympics

"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on February 08, 2022, 09:29:45 AM
I watched all 8 episodes of "Reacher" last night and it was really good IMO. I've read every one of Lee Child's "Reacher" books and this series is about as close to the written stories of any production I've seen. The star is far more realistic than the "Reacher" movies in which Tom Cruise plays the lead. In fact, Child did an interview about this series and suggested a mammoth man for the part because so many fans (of his books) were annoyed, unhappy, pissed, whatever when in the movie they plugged in a 5'7" yappy movie star to play a 6'5" man-of-few-words, bruiser... so that was taken into consideration before casting for this series. Anyway, great series. It appears that each season is a complete story from one of his books - about the only way to do a book right IMO. Hopefully there's another season and more coming.

It's on Prime and I highly suggest it to anyone who likes mysteries combined with some serious ass-kicking, blood, murder, betrayal, intrigue, etc.

Just a tease:

Official trailer:
I have this saved on my watch list.  It looked good!

I liked him on Titans!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LennG

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on February 08, 2022, 09:29:45 AM

Just a tease:

Official trailer:

Is this with the girlfriend or without her?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: LennG on February 08, 2022, 06:25:17 PM
Is this with the girlfriend or without her?

Without. She wasn't feeling well and went to bed early (7:00ish) so I sat up and binge watched it till wee hours of the morning...LOL

8 episodes about 50 minutes each
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

LennG

So it's Oscar time once again, and I try and watch some of the movies that are nominated.

#1--Don't Look Up- This movie has gotten a lot of publicity. It won't win any awards but I watched it last night and liked it. It is a real 'Black' comedy and if you don't know about this movie, they discover a comet streaming towards Earth that, with 100% certainty, will hit Earth and destroy it. So how do you tell the world about this? It sure says it ain't easy. And that is the basis of this movie, trying to get people to believe the world is coming to an end in 5 months. I got a few good chuckles out of this especially with an over-the-top performance of Meryl Streep as the President. You can really associate this movie with present times, as 1/2 the people don't believe it because of the network it is being broadcast on, another group thinks it is all a hoax and it just goes on. Great cast and a very interesting take on a subject that should have been scary. I would recommend it.

#2-- Nightmare Alley---How to describe--- Stan burns down his home and takes a job as a carny with a traveling carnival. Stan is disturbed at how any man could sink to the level of performing as a geek. Clem explains that he seeks out alcoholic or drug-addicted men with troubled pasts, and lures them in with promises of a "temporary" job and opium-laced alcohol. He then uses their dependence until they sink into madness and depravity, thus creating a new geek. Stan also works with the clairvoyant act "Madame Zeena" and her alcoholic husband, Pete. He and Zeena warn Stan not to ever use these skills otherwise people get hurt. Meanwhile, Stan becomes attracted to fellow performer Molly and approaches her with an idea for a two-person act away from the carnival.e this movie. Takes place right before WWII about a sort of grifter who joins a carnival does all sorts of jobs and sort of falls for Rooney Mara.
The first half of this movie, while at the carnival wasn't too bad but once they fast-forwarded I really lost all interest, couldn't figure out who was who, what they were trying to say, and really just gave up about 3/4 of the way thru and turned it off. I did not like this at all, though Rooney Mara is always a pleasure to watch.

Charlie Weiss

ozzie

I saw a few ads for Nightmare Alley and thought it looked interesting. I didn't realize it was a remake until I happened to see it coming up on TCM.
I recorded the original, (1947) with Tyrone Power & Joan Blondell, but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I would like to see it and then watch the remake and compare the two.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

LennG

Quote from: ozzie on February 14, 2022, 08:51:41 AM
I saw a few ads for Nightmare Alley and thought it looked interesting. I didn't realize it was a remake until I happened to see it coming up on TCM.
I recorded the original, (1947) with Tyrone Power & Joan Blondell, but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I would like to see it and then watch the remake and compare the two.

The original is a classic, really.

I also don't remember much of it, although I do remember Power had a great performance and a surprise ending.

I don't know if this remake ended the same way, probably, I just didn't stick around for it.

Charlie Weiss

Sem

Just finished watching the second of three seasons of Mortimer and Whitehouse: Gone Fishing. I can recommend it though I seriously doubt anyone here would watch it. It's an unscripted show, somewhat documentary-style, that follows two British comedians and life long friends in their 60s, both having recently had heart surgeries, fishing on different bodies of water across the beautiful English countryside. It's not an action or even a comedy series, although there are some laughs. It's just two friends talking all things life. It's available on Tubi.

Two comedians and lifelong friends, Bob Mortimer and Paul Whitehouse, embark on a fishing adventure around the UK and share their personal and hilarious experiences of life in some of the most picturesque landscapes the country has to offer. While waiting for the fish to take the bait, the comedians chat about everything, from their childhood years to the life-threatening illnesses that both have overcome. The angling expedition gives the two comedians the opportunity to reconnect and reflect on what is important.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8641686/

LennG

I need to find certain shows that I can watch with my darling wife. On regular cable, we have both enjoyed a reality series, "Married At First Sight".(On Lifeline) My DW got me into this series a few years ago and we both enjoy it whenever it is on. (Briefly, 5 men and 5 women are matched via psychologists and questionnaires) and are matched to be married. The catch is each person has no idea of who they are marrying until they meet at the altar and then they spend 8 weeks together as a married couple and then have to decide if they really want to stay married. Again, it is silly, but for some reason we both love it. (If you like this, there are 13 seasons of it so far and going strong)

So, on scanning Netflix and seeing what some of the 'top' watched shows are, we came across a similar thing, 'Love Is Blind'  (https://www.netflix.com/title/80996601) where a group of guys and gals meet or date as they call it, in pods where they cannot see each other. They talk and talk and if they connect after several weeks of this, they can become engaged, live together for 3 weeks, and then get married (of course, only if they want). It is sillier than Married At First Sight and really looks to have 6 'hunks' with 6 'Barbie Dolls' so they can discuss sex and show off as much as they can. Again, for whatever reason, we find it so silly but we keep on watching. We are almost thru with season one and as it goes on, we find it more interesting as each person sought of develops their own personality.
This may not be for anyone, but as a couple we sort of enjoy it. Maybe it's like peeping into other people's lives, bedrooms, families, and being a spectator as they go thru the challenges of meeting, falling in love, and trying to decide if they are really going to be together.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

A good friend told me about another newer series on Netflix, "The Woman in the House Across the Street from the Girl in the Window"  and I am almost finished with it.

QuoteKristen Bell plays an agoraphobic, alcoholic woman who believes she witnessed a murder in this parody of the popular subgenre of thrillers that gave us The Girl on the Train and The Woman in the Window in recent years. A self-aware spoof that never takes itself too seriously, the series is carried by Bell

Charlie Weiss

Sem

Quote from: LennG on February 20, 2022, 12:22:55 PM
A good friend told me about another newer series on Netflix, "The Woman in the House Across the Street from the Girl in the Window" and I am almost finished with it.

Each episode is only 1/2 an hour so watching this, it really flies by, but overall, I have found it interesting. On reading the synopsis, I thought more of a Rear Window type of thing, but it is much more light-hearted and still compelling. It is quite worthy of a binge-watch.
(I thought it would be something I could watch with my wife, but she didn't want to, but overall, after watching what I already have, she would have liked it--no blood, no scares, but alas, she missed out on this charming show).

This one keeps popping up as "recommended" whenever I turn on Netflix. I may give it a try.

LennG

Quote from: Sem on February 20, 2022, 12:28:13 PM
This one keeps popping up as "recommended" whenever I turn on Netflix. I may give it a try.

It's just an 'easy' watch, Steve. Ms. Bell is quite enjoyable to watch, anytime.   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Charlie Weiss