News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What are we watching these days?

Started by LennG, September 02, 2020, 04:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sem

Quote from: LennG on July 16, 2021, 05:25:44 PM
We are now about 1/2 way thru season 2. I won't give anything away in any comments. But they premiss, as we have said, is terrific, the problem is they just don't know where to take it. They have so many subplots as we go on, several linking to the original premiss, but others so far off, it reminds me a lot of Lost as they never really ran with the original premiss and started to veer off in other areas, well, if you were a Lost fan, you know what I mean.

Let me know when you get deeper into the show, as I would love to discuss several matters that I can't now, without giving too much away.

Will do Len. I had to stay with my brother in NY this week. I mentioned to him I watched it last night on the bedroom tv. I thought it might be something he

LennG

Quote from: Sem on July 16, 2021, 08:42:22 PM
Will do Len. I had to stay with my brother in NY this week. I mentioned to him I watched it last night on the bedroom tv. I thought it might be something he
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

I have been binge-watching Apple's Ted Lasso (Apple TV is dirt cheap).  It's a feel-good comedy that is really enjoyable.  I highly recommend it.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on July 17, 2021, 08:10:01 AM
I have been binge-watching Apple's Ted Lasso (Apple TV is dirt cheap).  It's a feel-good comedy that is really enjoyable.  I highly recommend it.

Agreed. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Very good show. Sudeikis is hysterical.

LennG

We are just about finished with season 2 of Manifest. As I have said previously while watching it, I enjoy it, but there are so many things that annoy me about this show that if I would just stop watching it, I wouldn't miss it. That said, the things that bother me, don't seem to bother my wife and she likes it a lot more than me.

Wish someone would get to the point I am up to as I would love to discuss some of the things that really annoy me about this series. I thought it would have gone in a completely different direction, but then I have to remember it was on NBC and they can, or have to, do things a certain way.

Anyone else watching this series?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

ozzie

I watched a movie on Netflix called "Shimmer Lake".
It's a small town bank heist / murder plot involving a group of friends that works it's way backward. An interesting concept, somewhat like the film "Memento", but this was much more lighthearted with a few laughs sprinkled in. The only "big Name" in it was Rainn Wilson from "The Office".
It was far from the greatest movie I've ever seen, but it was enjoyable if you want to kill about 90 minutes.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

LennG

We are almost finished with Manifest, with about 4 more episodes to go in season 3. Season 1 and 2 are on Netflix and we are watching Season 3 'On Demand' from our cable company from NBC On Demand.

What we have heard is that there was a big cliffhanger at the end of Season 3 then it was cut by NBC so no one can resolve what has happened. Myself, I don't really care. As I have said, some of this series is starting to resemble Lost, in that so many things that are happening are simply so silly and unbelievable, that it's hard to stay with this. AND, as I said before, my darling wife LOVES it--so there (In other words, I HAVE to keep watching to make her happy :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:)

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Let's see what else we are watching these days?

We are watching a couple of series on CNN (yes Republicans are able to watch and we won't tell your neighbors)

There is an ongoing series about Jerusalem, called 'Jerusalem' basically telling the history of this city, and the meanings it has to all three major religions. I think we are in week 4 and I'm not entirely sure how many are still to go if any. We LOVE these types of shows, learn about something that we care deeply about. Even if you aren't religious, it is a fascinating look at how 3 major religions all hold the same place dear and all for different reasons.

We are also watching 'The History of the SitCom'. also on CNN. Another series that I hold dear to my heart, Sit-Com TV, from its early roots to the present day. I think it is about 5 episodes and we are just in the last stages of watching. We liked it a lot.

ON the History Channel (I think, as we just set the DVR and it records this), I don't remember if I have mentioned this before, but we really got into this show 'Foods that Help Build America". The second season just wrapped up and we LOVE this series. It is pretty easy to watch, no big history lesson here, just many recreations of how things we love to eat (Chewing gum, potato chips, soups, cereals, etc., etc. ) came about, and some of their struggles to get known and be really become a national brand.

They have also had similar series about machines that helped build America, People that helped build America, etc. Again, not hardcore stuff, but made very watchable and entertaining, and you can learn a bit also.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

I watched a terrific movie yesterdays. I am listing it ehre as opposed to the regular movie thread because this is a movie from 2016, but I just gained knowledge of it and I come here to recommend it.
"
The movie is called The Siege of Jadotville", starring no one I had ever heard of. I watched it on Netflix, but, I assume it is on other outlets. This is a true story that has really been buried for quite a while so here is what I took off the internet to sort of sum up the plot and movie

"The siege of Jadotville was an engagement which occurred in September 1961 in which a small contingent of Irish troops serving as part of the United Nations Operation in the Congo were besieged in the mining town of Jadotville by Katangese forces loyal to the secessionist state of Katanga. The siege took place during the seven-day escalation of a stand-off between ONUC and Katangese forces during Operation Mordor. Although the Irish soldiers resisted Katangese attacks for five days while a relief force of Irish, Indian and Swedish troops attempted to reach them, they were eventually forced to surrender. They were subsequently held as prisoners of war for approximately one month.

That is the official plot, but it fails to take in the people involved, mainly the Irish troops, and what they went thru in the 5-day siege. You like action movies, you like war movies (I love them both and when combined--WOW), this is the one for you. It reminded me a lot of the old Zulu movie where a small contingent of troops had to hold off the Zulu nation.

I do heartily recommend this movie. It is for adults, as there is cursing, killing, but very little blood and no gore as many war movies have to have today.

If you enjoy a good war movie, a David vs Goliath-type movie, you will LOVE this one.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

OK, I'm on a roll.

As many know, I LOVE movies, much more than many TV series. I watch movies all the time, most are older and really nothing worth mentioning. Unlike my friend Jim, who LOVES to rewatch many of his favorite movies (I do also) but I am always trying to watch other movies as well. I go thru listings and see what MIGHT appeal to me, give it a shot and I am usually satisfied or pretty disappointed.

As I have said many times, certain genres of movies just get me going, a good western, a good war movie, a good action/thriller, a good 'film noir', and a good crime-type movie, be it older/newer/mafia involved. There are many other genres that I like--sci-fi, fantasy, and adult comedy. Many movies in these genres my darling wife doesn't really care for so I watch alone or am forced to watch 'romance and Hallmark' (UGH) movies. well, some aren't too bad, but they are, as we say, not 'in my wheelhouse'.

So what's the point in all of this. I was on Netflix going thru some of the categories and top movies in those categories and came up with a movie, I said WOW, this should be good.
The movie is sort of a newer movie, from 2019, "The Highwaymen" starring Kevin Costner and Woody Harrelson, as aging Texas Rangers, who, even though they were past their prime and retired, get sent out on the trail of Bonny and Clyde.   
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1860242/

Why did I never hear of this movie, as it has two very good actors and a scenario that fits right into the genre of movies I would like?

So, I put the A/C on and sat down to watch this movie, and guess what, I LOVED it. As I said, I am on a roll, 2 excellent movies in a couple of days.

As I said, Costner plays Frank Hamer (if you know the story of Bonny and Clyde, the WAS the guy who got them), maybe the greatest Texas Ranger ever. So he is old and retired and he traded his horse in for a rich life of doing nothing. He is called into service against the wishes of the governor of Texas, but Bonny and Clyde are wreaking havoc and they need to be stopped. Hamer calls on one of 'his guys' Woody Harrelson, who is basically sitting around waiting to die, so he jumps at the chance to get on the trail again.

The story is about how these two 'older' men do what they do best and in the end, defeat Bonny and Clyde.

The movie does make it a point and makes this point many times, that people LOVED Bonny and Clyde. They were heroes as well in the media and this really irks Costner as they kill many law enforcement officers.

The movie is not for kids, as there are killings and the killing of Bonny and Clyde is shown pretty much the way it happened. There is some blood but not a lot and most of the killings aren't shown on camera.

As you can see from my long review, I recommend this movie 100% if this is the type of movie that interests you. If nothing more than to see two 'older' wonderful actors in their later years doing what they do best.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

I have wanted to rewatch this movie for a while, and since it was on TCM the other day, gave me full opportunity.

"Blade Runner" (the original). I haven't rewatched this in quite a while and while the hosts were discussing the movie, didn't realize it is now 40 years old and takes place in 2019. Since I am a huge 'film noir' fan, I really never associated this film with that category, but it is, just a futuristic version. It was discussed that the film, although great, hasn't held up well over the years, considering this is 2021 and it is nothing as was depicted in the movie.

But forgetting that, it is still a great watch. Harrison Ford at really the peak of his career (gosh how young he looks), Rutger Hauer is the bad guy and just great performances from so many others. I knew the story and knew the ending but so many smaller things that I either forgot or ever noticed, well just a joy to rewatch. The visuals are truly amazing and just about steal the movie. If you have never seen it, you might wonder what all the fuss is about, but in its time, it WAS the movie to see.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Since a lot of the movies I have been watching lately have been sort of in my wheelhouse, and my darling wife really isn't into these types of movies, we decided to rewatch some movies she loved. many of them, older musicals from Hollywood's heyday for musicals.

The other day we rewatched "Annie Get Your Gun" with Betty Hutton and Howard Keel. Excellent musical with songs by Irving Berlin.
We also rewatched "Seven Brides For Seven Brothers" again with Howard Keel. Just a funny story about this movie. When I went out on my first REAL date with a girl, this was the movie we went to. Wasn't old enough to drive so we took a bus to a theater to see it and I was dressed in a nice jacket and tie--good old days???)
And last night we rewatched "Carousel" with Gordon McRae and Shirley Jones. Never my favorite musical, and I don't think me and the wife ever watched it together, so that made it nice.
Nothing better than some old-time musicals with your significant other to have a nice quiet time and enjoy.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Looks like I am doing the most watching--shows how my life is going. Pretty soon I'll be on Weeze's level.    =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

Anyway, I just finished watching 'Alone' a sort of a reality show on the History Channel. This was it's 8,9 or maybe even 10th season and I have watched them all. I understand many don't like, or watch, these types of shows, but I really like them.

Alone is different, if you have never watched it. They take 10 survivalists and insert them in some remote areas, all in different locations, so they are completely alone, with no camera crew, no medical people, just them and the wilderness. They take many supplies, like bows and arrows, tarps, and up to a certain limit as to what they are allowed to have. Then they basically have to survive until there is just one person left and he/she usually wins 1 million dollars, or whatever the amount is.
I am not a survivalist, but I really enjoy shows about them. These are real people who leave their families in the hope of winning this money. For the most part, the winner is usually out there for about 75 days and the toughest part, is not feeding themselves, but that is a big thing, it is the loneliness. They have no one to talk to, to react with except the cameras that they give them to record their every move. AS I have watched this show from the beginning, I would say, in every season, 6 out of the ten original people leave because of their missing their families, their wives, kids, etc. Some are pulled from the competition because of health reasons, loss of too much weight, or injury.

Anyway, this show may not appeal to everyone, but I really like it. No real action, just the thoughts of people talking to the camera about their lives, and how they try to survive. I would recommend that you give it a shot.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Searching around for something 'different' to watch, I came across something that really piqued my interest. I  saw an ad for a new short series on the A&E channel documenting the story of 5 serial killers, who basically all operated at the same period of time, a 20-year span. The killers were Ted Bundy, Jeffrey Dahmer, John Wayne Gacy, Gary Ridgway (The Green River Killer), and Dennis Rader (BTK).  "'Invisible Monsters'
This is a 6-hour sort of docu-drama about these guys, who they operated, how they were caught and finally either executed or locked away for several lifetimes.
myself, I knew of Dahmer, Bundy, and Gacy, but I never knew of the other two.

https://www.aetv.com/real-crime/5-serial-killers-invisible-monsters

Parts of this show are really chilling, listening to one woman, the only woman, to escape from one of the killers, tell her story as to what happened to her. There were reports for the first time, from law enforcement people, even one of the killer's wives who really knew nothing of her husband's other' passion. They have actual recordings of some of these guys, how they thought, why they did what they did etc.
At first, I thought this was just another show, but as I got into it, listening to how they operated, often taking years off, so when they began again, the police didn't think it was the same people, how one of the killers was a great neighbor, a churchgoer, had a family with children and even took almost 15 years off before starting to kill again, I was hooked.

anyway, if you are into things like this, I found this fascinating to really get into the heads of these killers, what made them tick and how they were finally apprehended.

I would recommend this, but only if you don't have a weak stomach as some of the details of some of the murders are unbelievable.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Since I am into this sort of docu-dramas, myself, and my darling wife have also started watching this series on CNN (again, yes republicans can watch this) called
Jerusalem: City of Faith and Fury         https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14821414/

It is, as I said, a sort of documentary/drama about Jerusalem, from its importance to the 3 major religions, its history from its beginning to modern times, thru the start of King David, thru the crusades, the British occupation, and on and on. We just finished the Crusades and we find the entire thing fascinating. We all thought we know a lot about Jerusalem, but in reality, we know very little.

Again, this is the sort of show you have to want to watch. It is thoroughly entertaining as well as informative. You will definitely learn something from it. We have always been fascinated by Jerusalem. Myself, I have never been there, but my Darling wife as so this is of particular interest to her.

If this is your thing, I would definitely recommend it. It is still an ongoing event, with one show a week. I believe they are up to episode 6 now.

Charlie Weiss